PDA

View Full Version : dust

Paul Pless
04-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Today, I've been introduced to one of those fundamental differences between men and women. Katherine asked me to 'dust' today. ****, I replied, "dust what?"

ERRRR.... wrong answer there....

So anyway, apparently women notice dust, whereas I can honestly say the concept of 'dusting' has essentially never entered my mind in 38 plus years.

What do ya think guys, would it be okay to bring the air compressor in the house and get this chore done with the air chuck, or is there a better way?:confused:

Nanoose
04-24-2009, 10:22 AM
hehehehehehehe :D :D :D

Kaa
04-24-2009, 10:22 AM
What do ya think guys, would it be okay to bring the air compressor in the house and get this chore done with the air chuck, or is there a better way?:confused:

Hose it down with a high-pressure washer. Gets rid of the dust like nothing else :D

Kaa

pcford
04-24-2009, 10:23 AM

That'll work. Put a exhaust fan by a door or window.

Report back.

Dan McCosh
04-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Get one of those big feather things...

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-24-2009, 10:25 AM
.... or is there a better way?:confused:

Quentin Crisp had an equilibrium theory.....

"The Naked Civil Servant" available on DVD

Quite good on dining plates too - for a non dog-owner.

Bruce Hooke
04-24-2009, 10:30 AM
I dusted my computer monitor this morning! :D

Katherine
04-24-2009, 10:31 AM
The Swiffer re-fills are down by the washing machine.:rolleyes: Don't forget to dust the ceiling fans.:D

Nanoose
04-24-2009, 10:32 AM
I hate dust...the only thing I hate more is dusting.

Canoeyawl
04-24-2009, 10:34 AM
The air compressor works...
especially good for the porches and under the fridge.
I plumbed the house with air from the shop.

Uncle Duke
04-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Spray clear lacquer over everything - traps the dust and gives everything a nice shine....

Kaa
04-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Spray clear lacquer over everything - traps the dust and gives everything a nice shine....

BLASPHEMY! Nothing but 42 layers of hand-applied varnish will suffice!

Kaa

Paul Pless
04-24-2009, 10:42 AM
I just received a phone call from my significant other instructing me how to dust. Those instructions took 8 minutes and 22 seconds to convey.:eek:

High C
04-24-2009, 10:42 AM
...Don't forget to dust the ceiling fans.:D
:rolleyes: Paul, yer gonna have to explain that this would upset the delicate balance of the fan blades and cause them to wobble.

Also mention that those blades are providing a valuable service beyond merely moving the air that should not be disturbed. They're dusting! ;)

Paul Pless
04-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Also mention that those blades are providing a valuable service beyond merely moving the air that should not be disturbed. They're dusting! ;)ooooh good idea... I wonder if they'd be more efficient if I were to attach the swiffer refills:rolleyes: to the fan blades and leave them there...:D

Canoez
04-24-2009, 10:44 AM
You could always become a "dust-nostic" and say that you don't dust on religious... uh, no wait - anti-religio... uh...

fuhgeddaboutit..

:o

Kaa
04-24-2009, 10:47 AM
There is a simpler solution -- get the naked maid service! :D

Kaa

Paul Pless
04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
I plumbed the house with air from the shop.A giant among men! That's brilliant!

Phillip Allen
04-24-2009, 10:52 AM
ooooh good idea... I wonder if they'd be more efficient if I were to attach the swiffer refills:rolleyes: to the fan blades and leave them there...:D

just spray em with Pam...works great...I dare ya!

Nanoose
04-24-2009, 10:57 AM
hehehehehehehe :D :D :D

Shang
04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Dusting the interior of the car is easy--open the doors and windows and go at it with the leaf-blower.

...However I haven't tried this in the house.

TimH
04-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Air compressor works best.

Paul Pless
04-24-2009, 11:01 AM
I hate dust...the only thing I hate more is dusting.apparently you and kitty have something in common here

High C
04-24-2009, 11:05 AM
.....apparently women notice dust...

It's not just women, you pig. If you look really hard I bet you'll find a microscopic amount of dust behind the dryer, or under the bed. Maybe....

TomF
04-24-2009, 11:17 AM
I like the idea of plumbing air for the whole house from the shop. But wouldn't it be cheaper to run extra pipe for the dust collector 'round the baseboards, with pickup nozzles in corners, behind doors etc.?

TimH
04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I opened the hot water tank closet last night and there were tumbleweeds of dog hair in there the size of baseballs!!

Peerie Maa
04-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Get one of those big feather things...

Turkey? :D

Rational Root
04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
There is a simpler solution -- get the naked maid service! :D

Kaa

That could be really good.

Or Really Really Really Bad.

D

Katherine
04-24-2009, 11:51 AM
I just received a phone call from my significant other instructing me how to dust. Those instructions took 8 minutes and 22 seconds to convey.:eek:Those instructions also included several versions of "Please do not bring the air compressor into the house."

Canoez
04-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Those instructions also included several versions of "Please do not bring the air compressor into the house."

I think it's gonna take a long hose reel... :D

Katherine
04-24-2009, 11:55 AM
The last request covered most power tools in general.

cs
04-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Sorry Paul, I gotta side with Kat on this. I hate dust, and this coming from two cats and a dog in the house. Dust can and does drive me crazy and I just can't keep up with the cats and dogs. :mad:

Air compressor just stirs it up and puts in places that it don't need to be. Feather dusters just move it around. Those TV static dusters work okay on light dust. Nothing beats Pledge and rag. I do use Pledge and a static duster for dusting stereo equipment.

And wood blinds are a royal PIA to dust.

Chad

StevenBauer
04-24-2009, 11:58 AM
One big clue, Paul. When she says to dust she really means to un-dust. :D

One of the few things in life I'm allergic to is house dust. It's one chore around the house I have no problem getting out of doing. ;)

Steven

Kaa
04-24-2009, 12:03 PM
For people who are serious about dust, I suspect a good air purifier (or several) will drastically reduce the amount of dust in the house.

Kaa

oznabrag
04-24-2009, 12:51 PM
I like the idea of plumbing air for the whole house from the shop. But wouldn't it be cheaper to run extra pipe for the dust collector 'round the baseboards, with pickup nozzles in corners, behind doors etc.?

I think you need both.

Turn on the DC, hose all the dust 'til it becomes airborne,and, while the DC works it's magic, go out on the porch and have a coldie.

That, my friends, is a plan!;)

George Jung
04-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Hmmm.... household dust. Anyone here familiar with just what, exactly makes up this dust?

Think dust mites; human skin; mite feces.

It ain't pretty.

CharlieCobra
04-24-2009, 01:24 PM
I find my central vacuum system works best for actually getting rid of it instead of just moving it around.

Jim Ledger
04-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Make sure to tie a nice bow in your apron strings, Mr. Mop'n'Glo, and don't forget to plump the pillows:D

Yeadon
04-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Dusting. What a lousy slap in the face.

John of Phoenix
04-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Next week - Laundry Lessons. <razz>

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Next week - Laundry Lessons. <razz>

There has to be space for an "IronMan" event
http://www.noelkingsley.com/blog/archives/extreme_ironing4.jpg

Paul Pless
04-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Next week - Laundry Lessons. <razz>got those last week actually :o:rolleyes:

Paul Pless
04-24-2009, 02:39 PM
fecesthanks doc

John of Phoenix
04-24-2009, 03:00 PM
That's quite a power source that fella has.
There has to be space for an "IronMan" event
http://www.noelkingsley.com/blog/archives/extreme_ironing4.jpg

Paul Pless
04-24-2009, 03:05 PM
rofl... Dutch maybe???

paladin
04-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Those electronic dust air cleaners work great.....I have one in the bedroom and one in the hallway....living next to the swamp..er...uh...wetlands..is a problem for me....don't have problems offshore or elsewhere, but since moving to Maryland I have problems walking dawg through the swamp and breathing at the same time...
Hang in there Paul...she'll get you domesticated yet.....It took me four years to get Sweet Thing trained.

John B
04-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Dusting is another thing which sucks. Kinda like carburettors.

Obviously , since you're not allowed the compressor in the house you'll have to buy extra hose( as already pointed out by a similarly enlightened poster above).
Placing a suitable dust mask on your phisog, clutching the airgun in one hand and the hoover in the other, you displace the dust from its resting place with one tool, whilst capturing it with the other.
After a while you'll get the zen of the whole thing , probably when you're a bit lightheaded, and you'll become a master of the vortex.

Like all dangerous and risky processes, or using agressive thinners on the fabric lounge suite, you should practise a little in a test area not right in the middle of the room. We don't want you blowing the flowers off the lladro.

C. Ross
04-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Air compressors blow as a dusting tool. What you want to do is collect it, not re-distribute it, and for that a vacuum really doesn't suck. :p

SWMBO hired somebody to come clean twice a week. I was thinking cute maid. We got Helga the Barbarian, Destroyer of Men. I think the dust is afraid of her.

Captain Intrepid
04-24-2009, 05:36 PM
That could be really good.

Or Really Really Really Bad.

D

Hopefully both at the same time. ;)

jerryrichter
04-24-2009, 09:15 PM
You could always become a "dust-nostic" and say that you don't dust on religious... uh, no wait - anti-religio... uh...

fuhgeddaboutit..

:o
Allergies, you've got allergies and can't breath if you have to disturb the dust. Works for me and yard work.

seanz
04-24-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't dust.
If it becomes a problem, I move house.
:)

paladin
04-24-2009, 10:29 PM
I have a lady that comes every Thursday but I think it's time I let her go and get a new one....she's really ornery, I've had her for 4 years now, and she does a half @$$ed job, raids the refrigerator and it seems like every 90 days asks for more money as it's a long drive from her house to mine......she moved to the other end of the county.....I think I need to find a really cute french maid type.

John B
04-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Gee I hope Paul is ok. feather duster an all that.

Plumbtex
04-24-2009, 11:48 PM
If you want to do this a lot - do a good job.
If not - break things, accidently of course.

pcford
04-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Quentin Crisp had an equilibrium theory.....

"The Naked Civil Servant" available on DVD

Quite good on dining plates too - for a non dog-owner.

Went to a talk by Quentin Crisp many years ago...interesting and very brave guy.

His point of view on housekeeping is that the mess gets no worse after letting it slide for a year.

The Bigfella
04-25-2009, 02:31 AM
I made plenty of dust today.

The wife didn't even notice that I nicked the outdoor furniture with the jigsaw while I was cutting bulkheads.

Nanoose
04-25-2009, 02:45 AM
apparently you and kitty have something in common here

I always knew she was a special girl ;)

Nanoose
04-25-2009, 02:51 AM
SWMBO hired somebody to come clean twice a week.

:eek: :eek:

I was thinking cute maid. We got Helga the Barbarian, Destroyer of Men. I think the dust is afraid of her.

roflmao...:D

Nanoose
04-25-2009, 02:52 AM
I have a lady that comes every Thursday but I think it's time I let her go and get a new one....she's really ornery, I've had her for 4 years now, and she does a half @$$ed job, raids the refrigerator and it seems like every 90 days asks for more money as it's a long drive from her house to mine......she moved to the other end of the county.....I think I need to find a really cute french maid type.

I hear Paul's lookin for work, chuck....and now he's experienced! :D :p

Ron Williamson
04-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Experience is great,but his french maid outfit is prolly gonna hafta be custom built.
I dust the same way I paint.
I generally only apply it,rarely remove it.
R

cybulski
04-25-2009, 07:57 AM
hmm, i feel like a slob.
I am surrounded by farm land, dust constantly floating arround. Itell my wife its a loosing battle and im not gonna do it :)
Thats about the time I get pushed out the door, along with a few choice words from the wife. Then its shop time,Get to work on Bilge Rat with no interuptions or distractions, except for the little GREEN ones :)

C. Ross
04-25-2009, 07:57 AM
:eek: :eek:

Did I really type twice a week?! Twice a month, sometimes once a month. Maybe it just seems more frequent because Helga is, well, a sight to be unseen.

Mrleft8
04-25-2009, 08:15 AM
You could "dust" the way Lilly Munster did.... By putting the vaccuum cleaner hose in the exhaust port..... Bet it'd be the last time that Katherine asks you to dust....:D

Paul Pless
04-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Bet it'd be the last time that Katherine asks you to dust....:D
Actually i think this thread may have accomplished that virtually:D
Ain't the internet a grand thing!

Mrleft8
04-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Actually i think this thread may have accomplished that virtually:D
Ain't the internet a grand thing!
It is a powerful, and valuable tool! :D

C. Ross
04-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Be careful. Katherine might post about how she doesn't like something you ask her to do. And we don't want that.

skuthorp
04-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Ah, I think dust only worries us when we're varnishing, that right?

Paul Pless
04-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Bump - update.

Hard to believe up to a mere two months ago I casually and successfully operated heavy machinery (tractors, graders, doziers), power boats (small and large), shop equipment, hydraulics, electronics, assisted in veterinary surgeries and ran sophisticated laboratory equipment on a daily basis; and now... not only am I incapable of dusting, I have have been banned from using the steam carpet cleaner, and my ability to continue to do the daily laundry is being called into question.:eek::p

On the plus side... after multiple reviews of standard operating procedures, I think I got the dishwasher down pat.

Mrleft8
04-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Dishwasher...... Is that yer new pet name Paul? :D

JimD
04-30-2009, 08:43 AM
...I think I need to find a really cute french maid type.

This one will do everything except dust

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410WSKETRRL._SS500_.jpg

TomF
04-30-2009, 09:02 AM
At my brother's wedding 'couple of weeks back, the MC reminded people that Genesis 1:4 has some brilliant marriage advice:
...And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness....Which is why we still do 2 loads of laundry.

Vince Brennan
04-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Oh, you Philistines!

Dusting 101:

First, remember that the main purpose of dusting is to REMOVE the bloody dust, so spraying about with an air-chuck or the like is useless...all you'll accomplish is to get a nice, even coating on everything.

"Swiffer" dusters and dust-cloths (and their generic equivalents) are useful and efficient for small areas and for hard-to-get-into sections (blind slats, behind a large piece of furniture, etc.) but a rag sprayed with something like "Pledge" is by far the most efficient dust-trapper yet invented. IMHO, "micro-pore" dusting equipment items are, (after the first pass when the micro-pores fill up) a total waste of time and money.

Start at the ceiling... dust the corners where the ceiling (in most houses NOT owned by Shane) meets the walls, also dust lighting fixtures and ceiling fans, top coamings of doors and windows and generally anything else that is above eye-level.

You'll have stirred up quite a bit of dust by now, so go have a cold beer and allow said dust to settle to the next level.

Right. Topsides being done, now dust from eye-level down, being careful to get things like the inside of light-shades, tops of cabinets/etageres, etc. Especially get inside the bowls of lighting fixtures which produce a "heat chimney" effect when lighted and which are MAJOR dust magnets. Dust the mullions and stiles of windows and -as long as you're there- do the glasswork as well with a glass-cleaner.

Good-o... time to let the remaining dust (and there's (trust me) quite a bit) settle down a bit... this time, fix a "Dark 'N Stormy" and give the dust a good long time to settle.

Now it's time for furniture. Wood furniture and shelving show the dust rather easily, but don't forget that the cloth furniture is just as covered and may be a main area for dust to collect. Take all furniture covered with cloth/fabrics outside and beat until the clouds of dust no longer resemble a wildfire's smoke trail. Scotchgarding all surfaces will help prevent this.

After all that work, it's time for another drinkie and a sit-down, innit?

Right. Back inside and wipe all the remaining furniture down, then:

(hardwood floors - no rugs) take a broom and wrap it with a clean cloth, spray this assemblage with the dust-capture product and sweep the floor therewith to get all the dust up.

(rugs) vacuum the rugs using a vacuum cleaner with a hepa-filter and an exhaust hose for passed-air that will reach outside. Even with a filter system in line to the exhaust air, the amount of dust which passes thru is astounding.

In either case, pay especial attention to corners, heat-registers, stairwells, newell posts and hatchways to the next floor. Dust follows air flow and if air goes thru it, you can be sure it's coated with dust.

Have another drinkie and admire the room a moment... it shan't stay that way long.

All should be nice and sparkling now, so go ahead and bring the cloth-covered furniture back in and arrange it, give a last check to the parts already dusted and touch-up if necessary, then go on to the next room in progression until the house is done.

"Dust Never Sleeps", so repeat entire process tomorrow. (Buy more rum first, tho!)

Canoez
04-30-2009, 09:20 AM
at my brother's wedding 'couple of weeks back, the mc reminded people that genesis 1:4 has some brilliant marriage advice:

...and god saw the light, that it was good: And god divided the light from the darkness....

which is why we still do 2 loads of laundry.

absolutely fabulous!

Mrleft8
04-30-2009, 08:28 PM
I think Vince needs something to do in the off tax season..... :D

Katherine
04-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Next lesson: Bag less Vacuums - How to Empty the Canister and Clean the Filter Without Choking

paladin
04-30-2009, 09:51 PM
I see thatcha ain't using that there bagless aussie vucoom....

Mrleft8
05-01-2009, 08:43 AM
I strongly advocate putting a central vac in your new house, if it doesn't already have one.

mobjack68
05-01-2009, 09:38 AM
and why is it that the last word is ALWAYS the beginning of a new argument???

Hughman
05-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Quiche is next.....

bamamick
05-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I LIKE to dust. We have a lot of antique oak furniture and it looks really good when it has been oiled. Thing about it is, I usually will just do one piece of furniture at a time. I'll get all worked up to do the secretary or the dining room table, get it shining like crazy, and then go do something else.

I also do laundry (which is why I probably own more underwear and socks than anyone else in my part of the country), wash dishes, feed and bathe animals, etc. It's no big deal. I have been doing chores all my life. It's not a matter of what is 'women's work', it's a matter of who has the time and energy, and most of the time that's me. My wife works a tremendous number of hours every week. If I want to live in a neat and tidy house (which I do, without being all crazy about things) then I have to help. Simple.

Mickey Lake

paladin
05-01-2009, 08:29 PM
REAL men don't eat Quiche......

bamamick
05-01-2009, 08:40 PM
...unless they happen to like it :).

At the Finn North American Masters this year they served us breakfast. There was the usual bacon and eggs and sausage, etc, but they also had a big vat of cheese grits and a pan of quiche. I don't eat quiche but I love cheese grits, and when I went back for seconds on the grits the quiche pan was empty, so some of those 'real men' must have been eating it. I am pretty sure that everyone at my table other than myself was wolfing it down.

Mickey Lake

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Training tools. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SXNAtwYMBw)

Paul Pless
05-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Training tools. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SXNAtwYMBw)did you watch that all the way through? :D