PDA

View Full Version : can someone explain this creature comfort question?

Phillip Allen
04-23-2009, 04:12 PM
In winter, I set the heat at 68 degrees...it feels a bit cool but as long as I move around purposefully (sweep the floor for instanse) I am perfectly comfortable.

in summer, I set the air conditioner at 78 degrees. Cooler feels better but I can be comfortable as long as the cieling fans are going.

in winter, 72 degrees feels too warm...in summer, its too cool

hokiefan
04-23-2009, 04:15 PM
In winter, I set the heat at 68 degrees...it feels a bit cool but as long as I move around purposefully (sweep the floor for instanse) I am perfectly comfortable.

in summer, I set the air conditioner at 78 degrees. Cooler feels better but I can be comfortable as long as the cieling fans are going.

I would guess the amount/type of clothing you wear varies summer to winter. I know mine does. In the winter I prefer jeans, long sleeve shirt, and comfortable shoes & socks. In the summer its shorts, T-shirt, and barefeet. I'd lose the T-shirt if it wouldn't repulse the rest of the world.:eek:

Cheers,

Bobby

Peerie Maa
04-23-2009, 04:17 PM

To quote the Rowan & Martin show:

"You're weird":p

TimH
04-23-2009, 04:20 PM
blood thinning

TerryLL
04-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Is your diet different winter to summer? Most people ingest more calories in the winter. I couldn't possible stay warm in the winter on my typical summer diet, and I'd gain 10 pounds a week in the summer on my winter diet.

Phillip Allen
04-23-2009, 04:27 PM
diet varies somewhat but I don't think it's a lot

I wonder if it's not just perception?

Bruce Hooke
04-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Expanding on what Tim said...my understanding is that our body adjusts to the climate in which we live and that includes seasonal adjustments.

I've noticed that since I stopped working in an air-conditioned environment I've been more comfortable in my non-air-conditioned home in the summer. Since my body is exposed to the summer heat pretty much all day every day, it adjusts to it better than it did when I spent 8 hours/day in air-conditioned spaces.

Phillip Allen
04-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Expanding on what Tim said...my understanding is that our body adjusts to the climate in which we live and that includes seasonal adjustments.

I've noticed that since I stopped working in an air-conditioned environment I've been more comfortable in my non-air-conditioned home in the summer. Since my body is exposed to the summer heat pretty much all day every day, it adjusts to it better than it did when I spent 8 hours/day in air-conditioned spaces.

I tend to agree...just wanted to talk about it as I've wondered about it for years

(it's not nice to fool Mother Nature!)

John Smith
04-23-2009, 04:41 PM
I've always wondered how Public Service pulled that off.

My guess is that it's relative. Depends on body adjustment.

I find, as I get older, the damp really cuts to my bones.

htom
04-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Part of it is relative humidity.

Bruce Hooke
04-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Isn't that working in the other direction? In the winter a more humid house feels warmer, so if the house air was as humid as it is in the summer, I might find an even cooler temperature comfortable in the winter.

ron ll
04-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Your body temp is about 98.6F. Cooling units remove the laminer layer next to your skin with air cooler than ambient. Heating units remove the laminer layer with air warmer than ambient.

Phillip Allen
04-23-2009, 04:56 PM

none of my relitives live close enough to produce humidity (YMMV)

rbgarr
04-23-2009, 05:58 PM
You need to replace your thermostat. You can get to it through your ear most easily. Or your armpit if necessary but that doesn't heal as quickly.

Captain Intrepid
04-23-2009, 06:57 PM
I'd wager mostly just you getting used to the temperature. Right now I find about 20 degrees too hot, but in a few weeks it'll be nice and comfy.

Woxbox
04-23-2009, 07:29 PM
The human body is hugely adaptable to temperature. Modern man doesn't know it because he's never tried living in continuous temperatures much out of the average range.

I didn't understand this myself until I started cruising in the late fall and early spring in an unheated boat. After three days, if the cabin is anywhere over 50 I'm completely comfortable. But leave the boat, and I'm suffocating in a 70-degree room. Likewise with the heat, in mid summer I can be comfortable at 90, but then feel chilled at 75.

I've often wondered about the stories of aboriginal peoples who walk around in the snow with minimal clothing. Didn't seem possible. Native Americans here in Pennsylvania never dressed as heavily as I do in the winter -- but one can adapt when neccesary.

What's going on physiologically I don't know. The body definitely burns up more calories in the cold, but other than that I suspect it's a mixture of adjustments in blood circulation and just plain psychology -- your mind tunes out certain signals after a while.

paladin
04-23-2009, 08:00 PM
I felt the same way...I seemed to get a lot of arctic assignments and the cold never bothered me, but I was also from arctic to tropics and reverse,,,then after over 11 years in sea and a 4 more in the middle east..I hate cold....but the house is set to 68 and I run around here in walking shorts and T shirt.

rbgarr
04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
It's a running joke here in Maine. As the Indian summer days wane in the fall and the temps fall into the forties, everyone complains about the cold and starts bundling up. In the spring when it gets back up into the mere thirties everyone talks about how it's getting warm and teenagers start displaying their skin in t-shirts and shorts as much as possible. It's psychological anticipation of what's to come IMO.