PDA

View Full Version : removing norton from vista

Hughman
04-16-2009, 04:56 PM
I need to get rid of Norton, and run AVG instead. apparently, Norton is full of poison pills when you try to do this.

this is an HP vista computer. HP support said the AVG and Norton cancel each other out, and to remove Norton one must find the download program from Norton, which of course is not on their website.

(I tried to use windoze program remove system, and I disabled the internet connection program, so I will need to download the Norton removal program from another computer.)

Norton is nasty stuff.

Anyone wanna tackle this one?

Michael Beckman
04-16-2009, 04:59 PM
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

2MeterTroll
04-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I need to get rid of Norton, and run AVG instead. apparently, Norton is full of poison pills when you try to do this.

this is an HP vista computer. HP support said the AVG and Norton cancel each other out, and to remove Norton one must find the download program from Norton, which of course is not on their website.

(I tried to use windoze program remove system, and I disabled the internet connection program, so I will need to download the Norton removal program from another computer.)

Norton is nasty stuff.

Anyone wanna tackle this one?
you need to nuke and pave the system and never install norton again.

I know who wrote the install for norton and it is viral' its built to be. so if you did not have a copy of the registry and every file content in your system you will not be able to rid yourself of it. :(

Captain Blight
04-16-2009, 05:40 PM
SWIMPAL just got a new computer and is having exactly the same issues. I shall watch this thread with the closest of interest.

stevebaby
04-16-2009, 07:05 PM
I eventually got rid of it with the aid of a Symantec techie. He just took over my computer. It took about 1/2 hour.
A bit scary to watch my mouse pointer moving around the screen without any input from me, and watch stuff being typed on my screen.
Michael's link is the first step.

Hughman
04-16-2009, 07:07 PM
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Michael, that worked, thanks!

Hughman
04-16-2009, 07:09 PM

Steve, Michael's link restored my internet connection. what else needs to be done? And will AVG need to be reinstalled?

2MeterTroll
04-16-2009, 07:42 PM
you need to clean the registry of ALL the entries and the files of all the norten files.

2MeterTroll
04-16-2009, 07:44 PM
I eventually got rid of it with the aid of a Symantec techie. He just took over my computer. It took about 1/2 hour.
A bit scary to watch my mouse pointer moving around the screen without any input from me, and watch stuff being typed on my screen.

did he edit any thing that you noticed?
and did he give you a list of steps Stevebaby?

Hughman
04-16-2009, 08:12 PM
you need to clean the registry of ALL the entries and the files of all the norten files.

Are they easy to identify? What is the purpose of the residual files?

2MeterTroll
04-16-2009, 08:44 PM
to make the SW unpirateable each version you install leaves not only a registry entry but a file to rewrite the entry. IIRC they will have either symantech in them, the serial number of the Program or a few will be under norten. No they are not easy to ID. and changes may have been made since last i delt with this issue.

CarlZog
04-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Norton: no way, no how, never again.

Admittedly, I'm not much of a geek, but I ended up just reformatting the drive and reinstalling Windows.

Carl

stevebaby
04-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Steve, Michael's link restored my internet connection. what else needs to be done? And will AVG need to be reinstalled?I had to get rid of Norton because their firewall wouldn't allow me to install the latest version of Firefox. After following the same link that Michael posted I still couldn't install Firefox, which leads me to believe that it wasn't completely removed. Eventually I had to get in touch with their tech support, got a techie on the phone and he set up a chat line and walked me through the removal process and as I said, took over my computer to remove the last registry entries.
It was a bit annoying to have to go through the process but not that difficult with the techie's assistance. He was quite patient.
I had already uninstalled AVG in case their firewall was responsible for blocking Firefox, but reinstalling it was no problem. I wouldn't think you would have to reinstall it, but I'm no geek!

WX
04-17-2009, 02:32 AM
Be careful with AVG, it can be a bugger to uninstall. I've switched to Avast and Avira for Windows boxes.

CarlZog
04-17-2009, 05:47 AM
I've been using Avast for almost a year now. I love it.

stevebaby
04-17-2009, 08:04 AM
did he edit any thing that you noticed?
and did he give you a list of steps Stevebaby?Yes, he walked me through (via the chat line that he set up, and by phone) what I assume was the removal of all registry entries. Where I couldn't do something, he took over my computer and did it for me. He was quite good, which does not diminish Symantec's responsibility to make their software easily removable IMO.
I was able to update Firefox and haven't had a problem since.
I do wonder at the ease with which someone could take over my computer though.