PDA

View Full Version : Lies, damn lies, and statistics?

Peerie Maa
04-15-2009, 04:43 PM
What sort of statistics does your government publish about your population?

Here is a Beeb report from the UK.

There were 25m households in Great Britain in 2008, according to the report, and the average household had between two and three people living in it.
The report highlights an increase in the number of people living alone.
In 1971, 6% of households were home to just one person. By 2008 this had doubled to 12%.
Couples without children now form a quarter of all households, up from 19% in 1971.
Lone-parent households now account for 11% of the total, up from 4% in the 1971 survey. and there is more here:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7999922.stm

Peerie Maa
04-15-2009, 04:51 PM
(Back in 1970, I was actually a census taker!)

We do it via the post now. But I have used the Census enumerators hand written returns from the 19th/early 20th centuries as a research tool, following his route on a map to determine how the buildings were occupied.

What sort of results do your statisticians publish?

Peerie Maa
04-15-2009, 05:11 PM
How often do you redraw your "congressional redistricting" boundaries? I can only remember ours being re drawn twice in my 50odd years.
We have two forms, one is the MP's constituencies, the other is the county structures that administer roads, education etc., both are redrawn infrequently.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-15-2009, 05:35 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/15_04_09_socialtrends.pdf

Priceless - little gems in a sea of turgid obfuscation.

ron ll
04-15-2009, 06:27 PM
I love statistical averages.

"There were 25m households in Great Britain in 2008, according to the report, and the average household had between two and three people living in it."

I guess the message is that if there are two and a half people living in your household, it can be considered average.

And my favorite; The average adult has one testicle and one breast. Do the math. :D

C. Ross
04-15-2009, 07:19 PM
How often do you redraw your "congressional redistricting" boundaries? I can only remember ours being re drawn twice in my 50odd years.

Every ten years. It's a contact sport here.

State legislatures start it (so who is in the majority in state legislatures significantly influences congressional majorities). Then there are state and federal lawsuits, in which case judges draw the lines, or they cry foul and send the maps back to the legislatures with instructions how not to do it. The legislatures then fudge in other ways to get desired safe districts. At which point the courts get impatient and submit to gerrymandering.

It's gotten very scientific, so most districts are quite safe. Once every ten years maybe 10% of incumbents are threatened.

Peerie Maa
04-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Every ten years. It's a contact sport here.

State legislatures start it (so who is in the majority in state legislatures significantly influences congressional majorities). Then there are state and federal lawsuits, in which case judges draw the lines, or they cry foul and send the maps back to the legislatures with instructions how not to do it. The legislatures then fudge in other ways to get desired safe districts. At which point the courts get impatient and submit to gerrymandering.

It's gotten very scientific, so most districts are quite safe. Once every ten years maybe 10% of incumbents are threatened.
Do you notice a sort of ebb and flow of the boundaries over time?
A sort of geographical tug of war that averages out?:D