X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Katherine
    Too Young to be a Senior
    • Sep 2004

Hard to swallow

As part of my ongoning treatment for the low iron and hemoglobin, my doctors has decided to run every test under the sun on me, this includes having to go in for a colonoscopy tomorrow. I have to drink the BIG jug of bowel prep. I think I'm going to be homicidal or suicidal by the time it's over. I'm on a liquid diet until after the test, so every few ounces of the G.D. awful prep is followed by a swallow of chocolate shake chaser. Bottoms up (then bottoms down ).
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.
  • Leon m
    • Sep 2002

Re: Hard to swallow

Sorry Kat , I think your great and all...too much information...I just ate lunch.

Get well soon !
    where ever you go there you are

Comment

• Bob Adams
      • Sep 2000

Take heart Kat, the prep is by far the worst part. My Doc gave me Demerol for the proceedure, he could have done anything he wanted and it would have been OK with me!
      You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
      Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

• Chris Coose
        • Sep 2001

Going under and coming out is the reward.
        Remember to couch that coming from a person who sought an altered state for half his life.
        Study Peace

Comment

• johnw
          • Nov 2001

I have to do this in May. I've been dodging it for years. They tell me I won't be able to drive for the rest of the day. I think by that time, I'll be happy if they just let me eat.
          On the trailing edge of technology.

https://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-John-L.../dp/B07LC6Y934

http://www.scribd.com/johnmwatkins/documents

http://booksellersvsbestsellers.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Hughman
            Senior Borborygnoramus
            • Apr 2000

Run, Paul!!! Run!
            Hey! It's MY Hughniverse!

Comment

• JimD
              Senior Mumbler
              • Feb 2002

Yeah, the laxative is by far the worst of it all. I'm due for another soon and am waiting to hear back from the doc for an appointment date. I feel your pain, Katherine.
              There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Comment

• Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
                treetop flyer
                • Sep 2003

I had to do that once.
                It's really not that bad Kat.
                You'll live.
                There are worse medical procedures to endure for sure.
                Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Comment

• paladin
                  Senior Senior Member
                  • Dec 2000

GET THE DRUGS!
                  After that there's no worries......except I'm still having cramps in my tummy....and I lost another 8 pounds last week....
                  Wakan Tanka Kici Un
                  ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
                  Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
                  Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
                  "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Comment

• htom
                    Member #919
                    • Dec 1999

The prep is indeed the worst part. I get to do this every couple of years, since my Mom is a colon cancer survivor.
                    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

Comment

• canoes
                      • Dec 2004

Hi,
                      Hope it goes well. I have not had it done personally, but if you will let me share a humourous story about my dad having one done about 7 years ago. I was there with my mom at the hospital. All his tests were very serious for a possible anurism.

He also had the same liquid diet and the bowel prep as well. He had the colonoscopy done and the next day the doctor was telling us the results.

Part way through the doctor says the test wasnt perfect as there was still considerable matter in his bowels.

My mom looks at us both and says "well we have scientific proof you are full of sh*t."

Oh my god hilarious doesnt begin to describe it,, even the doctor laughed.

Hope this story made you smile.

Larry

Comment

• Paul Pless
                        pinko commie tree hugger
                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Hughman
                        Run, Paul!!! Run!
                        I have taken my crackberry and retreated to the garage.
                        Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Katherine
                          Too Young to be a Senior
                          • Sep 2004

I had the scope down the throat when I was in the hospital a few weeks ago so I know the knock out drugs are good. Apparently as they were wheeling me out of the room, I reached over, grabbed the male nurse's arm and asked for white chocolate (my number one favorite junk food.)
                          Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Comment

• ishmael
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2000

Between a colon scope and a new filling in a tooth, I'd take the colon scan every time.

Hm, sounds like the doc isn't all that good a diagnostician and is throwing it all at the wall to see what, if anything, sticks. A colon scan is usually checking for precancerous conditions, polyps, which at your age are EXTREMELY rare and have nothing to do with a pernicious anemia. I've studied up on the colon over the years because of an affliction.

Um, it's probably too late now and you might as well go through it, but next time tell the doc to pound sand. "If you can't diagnose what is going on with the iron condition in my blood, I'll find someone who can." Brave words, and you might not be able to, but a part of what is wrong with the current health care system is docs who are grasping at straws; who cover their ass because they know the insurance is going to pay for a two thousand dollar procedure which on the face of it has nothing to do with the disease.

Rant over. Good luck Katherine. They'll give you a mild soporific, it will be a bit uncomfortable, but no biggie.

Comment

• Keith Wilson
                              Trying to be reasonable
                              • Oct 1999

The prep is seriously unpleasant. OTOH if they don't knock you you completely, it's fascinating to get a look at part of yourself you never see otherwise. It was interesting enough to be almost worth it.
                              "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
                              for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

Working...