PDA

View Full Version : I went to the Mall today.........

jack grebe
04-12-2009, 07:58 PM
It was closed, I stopped by the post office, closed.
Except for the Walmarts and convience stores, every
place we stopped was closed.

WHY, since we are NOT a Christian Nation and this
was a Christian Holiday.

Shouldn't the Government be open?

I hope they get it right by Christmas
since it is my tax dollars paying for these Holidays
that they should not be entitled to.

Phillip Allen
04-12-2009, 08:01 PM
you WILL be ignored... :)

ljb5
04-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I stopped by the post office, closed.
Except for the Walmarts and convience stores, every
place we stopped was closed.

I can't answer for the other places you went, but I'm pretty sure the Post Office is closed every Sunday. :rolleyes:

Phillip Allen
04-12-2009, 08:06 PM
I can't answer for the other places you went, but I'm pretty sure the Post Office is closed every Sunday. :rolleyes:

so the emploees can attend church

ljb5
04-12-2009, 08:12 PM

So the employees can have the day off.

Whatever they do with that time is none of our business.

Hwyl
04-12-2009, 08:13 PM
As various other threads have said, a holiday around the first full moon after the equinox covers a lot of faiths and dogmas, including my own secular ones. AS LJB says, government buildings do tend to close on Sundays. The Wal mart here was closed too (thank goodness because, I'm temping there).

Enjoy the vernal season without going to the mall

ljb5
04-12-2009, 08:20 PM

I understand a lot of employees are permitted to go home between the hours of 5pm and 9am.

As far as I know, there is no specific religious association.

cybulski
04-12-2009, 08:22 PM
i know alot of peoples ideas of today are religion based.
But some see it as just a day for family. My family got together today, i dont think jesus, or god were even mentioned.
So it dosent bother me if they use the day for other reasons than i do.

brad9798
04-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I can't answer for the other places you went, but I'm pretty sure the Post Office is closed every Sunday.

There goes ljb5 twisting things to promote is worthless, obnoxious agenda ... IF Easter fell on a Monday he would surely make up some other excuse ... like Italians of OFF on Monday ...

Or some other BS!

Rock on, leslie! It IS leslie, right? :confused:

ljb5
04-12-2009, 08:34 PM
IF Easter fell on a Monday he would surely make up some other excuse.

But Easter doesn't fall on a Monday. :rolleyes:

I forget... was the Post Office open on Ash Wednesday? Fat Tuesday? Maundy Thursday? Holy Saturday?

LeeG
04-12-2009, 08:36 PM
There goes ljb5 twisting things to promote is worthless, obnoxious agenda ... IF Easter fell on a Monday he would surely make up some other excuse ... like Italians of OFF on Monday ...

Or some other BS!

Rock on, leslie! It IS leslie, right? :confused:

twisting things??? this is a funnny thread

Hwyl
04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
But Easter doesn't fall on a Monday. :rolleyes:

You may be wrong there
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Monday

Paul Pless
04-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Jack since you seem to be complaining the most about this, did you happen to attend church services today on this most holy of Christian holidays? (just curious)

Paul Pless
04-12-2009, 08:43 PM
You may be wrong there
> :eek: :eek: :eek:

ljb5
04-12-2009, 08:43 PM
You may be wrong there
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Monday

Cool. I didn't know that!

I'm betting the Post Office will be open tomorrow, so that kinda screws Jack and Phillip's position. :)

Apparently the post office is open on Christian Religious holidays (Fat Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Holy Saturday, Easter Monday)!

johnw
04-12-2009, 08:56 PM
I believe the Post Office closes for the Feast of Christ's Circumcision.

Anyway, thank God for religion, without it we'd never have a day off.

brad9798
04-12-2009, 09:39 PM
RIIIIIGHT, JohnW! :rolleyes:

rbgarr
04-12-2009, 09:50 PM
The YMCA was closed, too. What's with that??

paladin
04-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Friggin hospitals weren't closed...they still suck blood.....

C. Ross
04-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Many states used to have Blue laws that kept most businesses closed on Sundays. Most of them have been repealed.

jack grebe
04-13-2009, 07:11 AM
Jack since you seem to be complaining the most about this, did you happen to attend church services today on this most holy of Christian holidays? (just curious)
Yes, I did................

Yeadon
04-13-2009, 10:41 AM
The post office ought to be open seven days a week. They could hire more people.

Why would you close a service oriented operation on one of two days that people actually have time to use it? Would you close a car dealership on a Sunday? What about a hardware store?

Phillip Allen
04-13-2009, 11:15 AM

study your history

LeeG
04-13-2009, 11:51 AM
The YMCA was closed, too. What's with that??

and the kayak store!!

Yeadon
04-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Another fine law.

peb
04-13-2009, 12:09 PM
The post office ought to be open seven days a week. They could hire more people.

Why would you close a service oriented operation on one of two days that people actually have time to use it? Would you close a car dealership on a Sunday? What about a hardware store?
BS. These extra employees may be christian. Maybe they would like the day off even if you don't approve of their worhsip habits.

Regardless of religion, we should bring back the blue laws. Employees deserve time off each week and everyone, as much as possible, should be off the same day so that they can spend time with family and community, even if you don't like people getting off to go to church. We can all get away from malls for one day of the week, it won't kill us to do our shopping some other time. The demise of blue laws is just one example of the decline of civilization in our modern, enlightened society.

ljb5
04-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Regardless of religion, we should bring back the blue laws. Employees deserve time off each week and everyone, as much as possible, should be off the same day so that they can spend time with family and community, even if you don't like people getting off to go to church.

I agree that employees should get time off for whatever purpose they might like (including Church, but not specifically for Church).... but some stores would prefer to be open while people have free time. (Theaters, roller-rinks, amusement parks, etc tend to do their best business when others aren't at work.)

What would you say to shop owners who feel like they ought to determine their own hours and not have the government dictate to them?

John Smith
04-13-2009, 12:27 PM

Actually, Sunday is the day the MOST busninesses close, so what's the point of delivering mail to businesses not open?

TimH
04-13-2009, 12:29 PM
My boss is jewish. We dont get xmas off. But we have a floater we can take then if we wish.

johnw
04-13-2009, 12:38 PM
RIIIIIGHT, JohnW! :rolleyes:

It falls on Jan. 1. Not sure what they eat for that feast. Maybe calamari strips?

Maybe they're closed to nurse their hangovers, rather than for the feast.

peb
04-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I agree that employees should get time off for whatever purpose they might like (including Church, but not specifically for Church).... but some stores would prefer to be open while people have free time. (Theaters, roller-rinks, amusement parks, etc tend to do their best business when others aren't at work.)

What would you say to shop owners who feel like they ought to determine their own hours and not have the government dictate to them?

Shop owners opposed wiping out blue laws in the first place. Once your competitor is open on Sunday, you have to be open on Sunday. But the overall business done by you and your competitor does not increase, yet the overhead does increase.

But to be specific, I still say there is a HUGE societal benefit for a common day off, so I would say to the shop owner, "live with it". We have a lot more onerous regulation than this that businesses put up with "in the interest of society".

peb
04-13-2009, 12:46 PM
My oldest son is currently in northern France. He said department stores and malls are closed on Sundays, some stores close during lunchtime, and some stores are closed on Mondays. Anyone know if thatís up to the merchants, or government mandate?

I believe when it comes to Sundays and evening business hours, it is regulated by the government. When it comes to August vacations, business get together and cooperate.