PDA

View Full Version : wtf???

Paul Pless
04-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Has happened to State?:rolleyes:

I don't have a whole lot of emotion invested in this game , but I'm trying here guys...:o

cs
04-06-2009, 09:08 PM
They are giving them a false sense of security.

Chad

Mrleft8
04-06-2009, 09:08 PM
State?

hokiefan
04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
They have run into the unstoppable force!!!

Cheers,

Bobby

Mrleft8
04-06-2009, 09:11 PM
They have run into the unstoppable force!!!

Cheers,

Bobby

The UCONN women?.....

hokiefan
04-06-2009, 09:16 PM
The UCONN women?.....

I think the UCONN women could beat a fair number of men's teams, but not UNC. I don't think Tyler Hansbrough will be denied this year. Their team has no real weakness.

Cheers,

Bobby

Paul Pless
04-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Their team has no real weakness.Neither does Izzo's. And a huge home court advantage to boot. This is a massive choke job going down here. I'd not have been surprised by a MSU loss, but for them to come out this flat is a total tank job...

hokiefan
04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Don't forget that UNC already did this to them once this year. When they find a gap, they are relentless in exploiting it. I don't know what they found, but apparently something that works.

Cheers,

Bobby

Flying Orca
04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Awright, I can figure out that you guys are talking some kind of sport, but which one?

Mrleft8
04-06-2009, 09:22 PM
The UCONN women could teach the UCONN men a thing or two about offensive rebounding.....
Mich. beat UCONN fair and square...

Mrleft8
04-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Awright, I can figure out that you guys are talking some kind of sport, but which one?
Think peach baskets.

Peter Kalshoven
04-06-2009, 09:25 PM
This isn't the same as the earlier game. Then, the MSU guys were injured or missing. Now they're just playing badly. How many turnovers? Carry the one.... damn, that's a lot.

Flying Orca
04-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Dr James Naismith? Couldn't find any takers up here, but successfully peddled the game to our southern neighbours? That game?

OK, one other question: How the hell do you guys know what the hell someone is talking about when he just sez "State"? It may be a while since I lived in the land of my birth, but I'm pretty sure there's more than one of 'em...?

Mrleft8
04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Dr James Naismith? Couldn't find any takers up here, but successfully peddled the game to our southern neighbours? That game?

OK, one other question: How the hell do you guys know what the hell someone is talking about when he just sez "State"? It may be a while since I lived in the land of my birth, but I'm pretty sure there's more than one of 'em...?

Just gotta look at the color of the grease paint on their fat blubbery bodies and what brand of swill they drink....;)

Paul Pless
04-06-2009, 09:30 PM
It may be a while since I lived in the land of my birth, but I'm pretty sure there's more than one of 'em...?Yeah... but, there's only one 'state' playing in this particular game. The other school is a university.

Tar Devil
04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
He he he he he.

Paul Pless
04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Oh and regarding universities, as Mickey can tell ya there's many universities, but there's only one, 'The University'.;):)

Flying Orca
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah... but, there's only one 'state' playing in this particular game. The other school is a university.

What kind of league has both state and university teams? :confused:

Mrleft8
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Oh and regarding universities, as Mickey can tell ya there's many universities, but there's only one, 'The University'.;):)
Known as "Old Toothless" :D

Keith Wilson
04-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Orca: They're having fun, but maybe I can explain . A state university - for example North Carolina State University - is sometimes known as "State" by locals (as if there weren't any other states :rolleyes: ) Thus the sports teams associated with the school are also know as "state", as in "State is playing Duke". God knows what these fellows think should be called "the university" as if it were the only one.

I labor under the peculiar delusion that the point of a university is to teach students, not run a basketball team, and that every penny spent by a school on the latter is wasted, but I realize I'm part of a small minority.

Flying Orca
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Probably, but my confusion here is genuine. I can see having teams from different states, and I can see having some kind of intra-university thing, but the combination baffles me... at least in the context of some kind of playoff (which from an earlier thread I presume this is...?).

I, ah, get the feeling sports aren't quite so complicated here, but then I'm only familiar with basketball from the CIAU (university athletics). Well, and high school stuff. And I think Canada has a pro league team (two, maybe?), but I don't pay attention to that stuff.

Flying Orca
04-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Ah, thank you Keith, that explains my confusion.

Keith Wilson
04-06-2009, 09:46 PM
They're all universities - some state universities, some not.

Paul Pless
04-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Probably, but my confusion here is genuine. I can see having teams from different states, and I can see having some kind of intra-university thing, but the combination baffles me... at least in the context of some kind of playoff (which from an earlier thread I presume this is...?).

I, ah, get the feeling sports aren't quite so complicated here, but then I'm only familiar with basketball from the CIAU (university athletics). Well, and high school stuff. And I think Canada has a pro league team (two, maybe?), but I don't pay attention to that stuff.The team that I referred to originally as 'state' is actually Michigan State University. They are a public university chartered by the state of Michigan. The other school in this championship is also a public university chartered by the sate of North Carolina going by the name of The University of North Carolina.

Flying Orca
04-06-2009, 09:49 PM
UNC... am I right in thinking they would be called the "Tar Heels" or something like that? I have family in Chapel Hill and I remember one year they sent us t-shirts featuring that name.

Tar Devil
04-06-2009, 10:52 PM
http://ofpowerandlight.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/north-carolina.jpg

cat_duh_maran
04-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Oh and regarding universities, as Mickey can tell ya there's many universities, but there's only one, 'The University'.;):)You aren't a Catholic too are you?:D
Bruce

Flying Orca
04-06-2009, 11:23 PM

If there's only one, I'd guess it must be either Oxford or Cambridge...? :p

Flying Orca
04-06-2009, 11:24 PM
http://ofpowerandlight.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/north-carolina.jpg

That's it! The logo might have been different, but I distinctly recall that poofy shade of blue. ;)

brad9798
04-06-2009, 11:30 PM
GO TAR HEELS!

My man, Hansbrough, has finally gotten his championship!

He stayed in school for this goal, and I commend him for this!

Now, Tyler, on to the NBA! (please go to a team I like!!!) ;)

Tar Devil
04-06-2009, 11:51 PM
A lot of credit goes to Michigan State. The knocked off some great teams on the way to the championship game. I picked them as an easy winner against UConn (cheered for them as well) and they didn't disappoint me. They have much to be proud of.

Paul Pless
04-07-2009, 05:59 AM
that poofy shade of blue. ;)hehehehe :D

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-07-2009, 06:05 AM
If there's only one, I'd guess it must be either Oxford or Cambridge...? :p

Cairo or Tombouctou

Flying Orca
04-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Yes, I suppose they were going strong well before Oxbridge...

Beowolf
04-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Although I'm still far too distraught to comment on the game. (State had to play a perfect game to beat UNC, and they simply didn't play perfect.)

Paul...Kudos to you for referring to them as "State" You're obviously a fast learner! :)

Later

Harry Miller
04-07-2009, 07:28 AM
That's all it says on their shirts so that's what everyone calls them.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/msu/sports/m-baskbl/auto_wide/2947995.jpeg

hokiefan
04-07-2009, 09:57 AM
That's it! The logo might have been different, but I distinctly recall that poofy shade of blue. ;)

When I was growing up in SE Virginia, all the obnoxious Tarheels walked around saying, "If God isn't a Tarheel, why is the sky Carolina blue?" Personally, I'm partial to Orange & Maroon, myself. Had to root for the Tarheels last night since we now share their conference. While we currently own ACC football, UNC (and to a lesser extent Duke) own ACC basketball.

Cheers,

Bobby

Gonzalo
04-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I labor under the peculiar delusion that the point of a university is to teach students, not run a basketball team, and that every penny spent by a school on the latter is wasted, but I realize I'm part of a small minority.Hear, hear!

Paul Pless
04-07-2009, 10:13 AM
While we currently own ACC footballThat's quite something to be proud of there! :p

hokiefan
04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
That's quite something to be proud of there! :p

At this point I'll take it and be quite happy. The ACC is a very strong conference top to bottom, check the OOC record. But we haven't had the elite team to compete with the SEC recently. I think that changes this year. We will find out Sept 5th in Atlanta.

Cheers,

Bobby

Tar Devil
04-07-2009, 10:20 AM
obnoxious Tarheels

Are you perhaps confusing us with our neighbors down the road, that Blue Devil Gang?

hokiefan
04-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Are you perhaps confusing us with our neighbors down the road, that Blue Devil Gang?

Naw, they take it to a whole different level of obnoxious.:D The Wahoo's would be yet again another level, if they weren't so, well... pathetic. You have to remember, my little town only had a few of each, so we may have had some "bad apples". And when I was growing up there, Va Tech was on the outside looking in, they were all obnoxious.:D:D:D It was a really good day for us when we joined the ACC.

Cheers,

Bobby

Tar Devil
04-07-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm surprised the ACC, overall, didn't make a stronger presence in the tourney.

brad9798
04-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Are you kidding, Keith Wilson? :confused:

Many, MANY schools with top flight athletic programs also have TOP-TIER academic programs ...

Believe it or not, the two are NOT mutually exclusive! :rolleyes:

For example:

Duke
UNC
Notre Dame
Stanford
USC
UCLA

And many others ...

hokiefan
04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Are you kidding, Keith Wilson? :confused:

Many, MANY schools with top flight athletic programs also have TOP-TIER academic programs ...

Believe it or not, the two are NOT mutually exclusive! :rolleyes:

For example:

Duke
UNC
Notre Dame
Stanford
USC
UCLA

And many others ...

Va Tech has stated many times that the rise of our football program has led to an increase in the academic quality of the student body as a whole. It creates interest and has increased the number of students in the region that apply. Thus, they can choose a more qualified group of kids to accept. Doesn't hurt any that the school is a good one to start with.

Athletic money comes from a separate bucket, there are no state funds in the athletic budget, at least in Virginia. It all comes from operational income (tickets, TV, etc) and boosters. Surely, that diverts some booster money away from the academic side, but the increased interest discussed above makes up for that. It does help Va Tech's situation that the Athletic Director is an iron-fisted businessman and runs the Athletic Department in the black. Most schools don't accomplish that.

Done right, good athletics helps the academic side. But thats not always the case.

Cheers,

Bobby

Keith Wilson
04-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Many, MANY schools with top flight athletic programs also have TOP-TIER academic programsThat's true, no question. OTOH, how much better could they be if they spent the sports money on academics? Or are the sports programs self-supporting? As I said, I realize this is distinctly a minority opinion, but it seems to me that it is not a legitimate function of a university to run a semi-professional sports team.

Paul Pless
04-07-2009, 03:54 PM
I labor under the peculiar delusion that the point of a university is to teach students, not run a basketball team, and that every penny spent by a school on the latter is wasted, but I realize I'm part of a small minority.Further Mr. Wilson... many athletic programs actually contribute financially to its universitry or college. From a Forbes magazine article evaluating The University of Alabama's decision to hire Nick Saban at more than $5,000,000.00 a year.
Alabama's football program had $54 million in revenue this past year and an estimated $32 million profit. The profit is used to pay off the athletic department's $130 million debt for capital improvements. Football finances 77% of the athletic department, bankrolling nonrevenue sports like swimming and softball. It also has kicked back millions of dollars to university academic programs.A little more googling returns that the average profit from football for all schools participating in Division 1A football to be approx $1.1 million per year.

Maybe the more important delusion is: why aren't student athletes getting paid?:rolleyes:

Keith Wilson
04-07-2009, 04:02 PM
The profit is used to pay off the athletic department's $130 million debt for capital improvements.And how much did the University of Alabama spend on "capital improvements" for the physics or engineering departments? I'd be willing to bet it doesn't even come close.

brad9798
04-07-2009, 04:09 PM
But Keith, they would not HAVE the sports endowments without the SPORTS!

Plain and simple! The bank accounts are kept seperate!

Keith Wilson
04-07-2009, 04:16 PM
But Keith, they would not HAVE the sports endowments without the SPORTS!At some schools, yes. Is that the case everywhere? By "endowments" I presume you mean that people give them money specifically to be used only for sports? And the people who gave them the money wouldn't be interested in supporting the chemistry department or the orchestra, then? The purpose of a university is not, IMHO, to run sports teams. Most people don't agree.

brad9798
04-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Your assumption about endowments IS correct ... they are VERY specific in their intended use!

In other words, if it's for basketball, do no DARE use it to buy beakers! Seriously!

Beowolf
04-07-2009, 08:33 PM
The purpose of a university is not, IMHO, to run sports teams. Most people don't agree.

Dude, sounds to me like you need to find another crowd to hang out with.

And don't believe everything you hear on television on during Saturdays in Autumn. (Or any other time, for that matter.)

:)

Jeff

Paul Pless
04-07-2009, 08:53 PM
At some schools, yes. Is that the case everywhere? By "endowments" I presume you mean that people give them money specifically to be used only for sports? And the people who gave them the money wouldn't be interested in supporting the chemistry department or the orchestra, then? The purpose of a university is not, IMHO, to run sports teams. Most people don't agree.It cuts both ways... you might be interested to learn that the single all time largest donation/endowment ever made to the aforementioned University of Alabama was made by Hugh Culverhouse, the long time owner of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. His donation was specific in its purpose to build new library and classroom facilities and endowed multiple department chairs and scholarship funds in both the school of commerce and business administration, and the school of accountancy. Sometimes athletic achievement attracts altruistic goodwill to the university as a whole...

Peter Kalshoven
04-07-2009, 11:27 PM
My son, because of some talents in athletics, will be able to look at some very good schools that he otherwise might not be able to afford to attend. This is one major benefit of sports at the University level.
And, yes, the purpose of a university is to receive an education. Yet, the entire experience of attending a school is part of the process of developing into an adult. If it was just classwork, we could bulldoze most of the buildings, and do almost everything online. That would NOT improve the experience.
Of course, there are those who are offended if someone actually enjoys their college experience. Learning is about learning, and should not be fun, damn it! I don't have any problem with their enjoying their misery. Why is it they always want everyone else to be miserable too? :)

Keith Wilson
04-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread - one more rant and I'll quit. I have no problem with college sports on a minor scale, and I certainly have no problem with people enjoying themselves. I DO have a problem when the budget for the football team far exceeds the budget for the engineering department, when the football coach is by far the best-paid employee on campus, and when the amount of energy and money that goes into sports means that there is a semi-independent quasi-professional sports organization which runs in parallel with the university, and is in many respects more important.

And as far as scholarships go - with all respect to your son, I see absolutely no reason why a talent for throwing a ball accurately should get one any money for college, as opposed to a talent for doing mathematics, or writing novels, or playing the viola.

As I said, I realize this is a curmudgeonly minority opinion, but I do not think college sports on the scale currently practiced are a legitimate function of a university, nor at all a good thing.

Mrleft8
04-08-2009, 08:37 AM
How 'bout them UCONN women!?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-08-2009, 08:37 AM
... I DO have a problem when the budget for the football team far exceeds the budget for the engineering department, .....

As I said, I realize this is a curmudgeonly minority opinion, .....

No lad - that's not curmudgeonly - that sounds like "trying to be reasonable".

You might like to take a look at the budget for Chemistry in Swansea or Exeter - or indeed the sum thereof.

Mutter grumble.

Can anywhere make a claim to being a "university" if it omits the Hard Sciences - or Law - or.....