PDA

View Full Version : My dog Spot

J. Dillon
04-06-2009, 07:18 PM
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3454/spotmydogimage.jpg

Hes a winner:D and especially bred to sand boat bottoms. I got tired of getting under Carrianne to sand the bottom so I trained my dog Spot to do it. He uses his head ( to take a Porter cable sander). Im able to direct him a little by manipulating his tail a bit in and out along the bottom and a slight tilt of his head by the leach. My concern is that the ASPCA might come take a look but he only does this once a year and is still in good health after over ten seasons of this dirty job . I might get him a mask but he loves the dust. This year I modified his legs some to have a wider stance as he was getting a bit wobbly. A little oil helps too. He's able to get about 85% of the bottom with a little coaxing and direction from me.;)

JD

J. Dillon
04-06-2009, 07:48 PM
No need for gimbals Larry . I can tilt the head by means of the black rod in the image . Also the whole contraption pivots at the top of the A. Present modifications are wider legs athwart ships and I put a big hunk of cardboard under the boat and a blue tarp to pick up some of the settled dust and keep the wheels from tripping on a rock, pebble, exposed root etc..

Please Larry do a better job of taking care your self when doing this dirty job. We need ya around here.

JD

Concordia...41
04-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Well I think that's worthy of several awards - to start:

Ingenuity, originality, use of materials, color scheme, plain old cleverness ...

Mrleft8
04-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Jack...... If I never told you that you were weird before...... Well I guess I missed my chance.... :D
( You are one brilliant, weird guy! :D )

J. Dillon
04-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Wierd...well it takes one to know one Lefty.;)

JD

Mrleft8
04-06-2009, 09:47 PM
"Weird"...... It's one of those exceptions to the rule.....;)

Hwyl
04-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Brilliant

Lefty called me "weird" too. I also took it as a complement.

P.L.Lenihan
04-07-2009, 04:49 AM
Just about anyone in their right mind would have just bought a case of beer,had a few freinds over and flipped the boat over on the horses.

But having an imaginary pet is every bit as good as an imaginary friend and sometimes more useful to boot!

Maybe I should introduce your dog Spot to my cat Pussy :)

Peter

ccx2
04-07-2009, 05:26 AM
Good idea. Why the white suit and respirator ?

Paul Pless
04-07-2009, 06:42 AM
What Margo said.

oh and what lefty said too!:D

Torna
04-07-2009, 07:20 AM
I was leafing through old WB mags a few days ago and noticed the SAND-EASI (WB #53, p29 for example) which looks to be the same general idea sans snappy paint job.
Actually, instead of 4 legs & wheels, the sand-easi was just a monopod. This wheeled version could well be an improvement. We will note that sand-easi does not show up on Google, so apparently it went extinct.

-leif

Thorne
04-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Luckily this wasn't posted on 4/1, or I'd be a little suspicious...

...quite clever!

J. Dillon
04-07-2009, 06:25 PM
I gave Spot a new tick and flea treatment last night so he looks better for his go at Carrianne's bottom. His leg job is a big improvement. In fact with a little retrainig he was able to do both sides of the keel P&S all from the side shown here. I of course stayed up wind from all this sanding dust.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8466/spotmysandingdog.jpg

The cover on the boat keeps the mess out of the freshly painted inside.

Maybe I'll post "dryland tacking "next.

JD

oldsub86
04-07-2009, 08:55 PM
What sort of sander? - random orbit or??

How did you mount the sander? From the photo, it sort of looks like it sits in a box of some sort. More photos would be appreciated.

Randy

J. Dillon
04-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Yes it is in a box with a small cut out for the switch. The sander is a Porter Cable model 33. I'll post some detail images tomorrow. Spot need his rest for now. he had a tough day.;)

JD

J. Dillon
04-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Randy, As promised here are the details about my dog Spot.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5046/spotmysandingdogdetails.jpg
I retrained him with a broader stance which gave him more stability. If you are interested in breeding , let me know you might have further improvements.;)

Here he is posing for a photo op, he's pissed off having taken him away from his work.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7926/spotthesandingdogimage.jpg

JD

bob easton
04-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Hot Dawg!

I need one of those critters that can sneak up between the building bench and the inside of a boat to hold the clinching iron.

Very nifty idea, but he really does need his spots back if he's to keep that name.

switters
04-09-2009, 03:59 PM
your dog spot rocks. Thanks for posting the pics and drawings.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah, but who's the astronaut?
gotta admit, I sand in jeans and a tshirt and a dust mask. Thats it... but JD is properly dressed...;)

paladin
04-09-2009, 10:35 PM
My question is...have you ever seen a Dagggitt?