PDA

View Full Version : Smoke it if you got it! (obama indicates change in direction on illegal drug policy)

Paul Pless
03-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Finally we may be seeing a rationalization of our policy on illegal drugs in this country. Gotta give Obama props on four moves he made today.

1. He demoted the office of drug czar from being a cabinet level position.

2. He chose to appoint a drug czar that understands that there's more to handling the drug problem in America than just increased enforcement. (I'll be interested in hearing what the Seattle forum members have to say about Kerlikowske)

3. He refuses to call it the 'War on Drugs'. (this is huge)

4. and, He has instructed Federal law enforcement agencies to end raids on providers and users of medical marijauna.

elf
03-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Wouldn't it be great if he didn't have to negotiate with congress... Maybe we could get somewhere with the big things.

Phillip Allen
03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
I hope he does well...I think this war on drugs has been a big pork feast for a long time

Pugwash
03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
I for one, welcome it.

I don't smoke it.

But it's about time you stopped filling your jails with stoners.

Congratulations.

:)

James McMullen
03-11-2009, 08:31 PM
I'll drink to that! Prohibition has effectively been nothing more than corporate welfare for the gangsters and druglords, artificially increasing the price and the profits from an otherwise cheap and readily available product. Here's to common sense and research driving public policy rather than ideology!

Joe (SoCal)
03-11-2009, 08:46 PM
He's done more in 50 days than has been done in the last 5 administrations

Paul Pless
03-11-2009, 09:02 PM
last 5 administrationslet's not get too carried way... your talking all the way back to 1976...:rolleyes:

Glen Longino
03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
"Don't Bog-a-a-art that joint my friend,
Pa-a-s-sss it over to me-e-e.
R-r--o-o-o-l- another one,
Just like the other one"

Phillip Allen
03-11-2009, 09:08 PM
let's not get too carried way... your talking all the way back to 1976...:rolleyes:

wrong Paul...he's talking sh*t

If someone ever knocks all the s**t outa Joe, what will we do with his clothes?

Joe (SoCal)
03-11-2009, 09:12 PM
In case anyone missed this ;

This message is hidden because Phillip Allen is on your ignore list (http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

:)

Phillip Allen
03-11-2009, 09:14 PM
considering he hasn't posted his ignorance lately...I believe Joe peeked...you naughty boy :)

(this what real fly fishing is all about...Joe's fly is perpetually open to allow him to think)

Shang
03-11-2009, 09:15 PM
let's not get too carried way... your talking all the way back to 1976...:rolleyes:

For gawd'sake...!
We all went to school and smoked funny cigarettes ...

Let's stop playing games...

Treat Dopey-making drugs the same as we treat alcohol
and stop sending kids to hard-core prisons.

...I could tell you stories that would make you cry...

LeeG
03-11-2009, 09:22 PM
I missed this. He's not going to use the phrase "War On Drugs"??? Holy crap

If you don't use the right code phrases how can you Win?

Captain Blight
03-11-2009, 09:52 PM
...Whut?

Wait.

What?

Phillip Allen
03-11-2009, 09:56 PM
For gawd'sake...!
We all went to school and smoked funny cigarettes ...

Let's stop playing games...

Treat Dopey-making drugs the same as we treat alcohol
and stop sending kids to hard-core prisons.

...I could tell you stories that would make you cry...

hey...I never smoked them things...(maybe I should have though :)

Glen Longino
03-11-2009, 10:13 PM
hey...I never smoked them things...(maybe I should have though :)

Nope, you didn't miss much. :)

Kaa
03-11-2009, 11:30 PM
I am not umm... holding my breath :-)

Biden is a drug warrior.

Rahm Emanuel is a drug warrior.

Kaa

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
03-11-2009, 11:32 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_L6pDyjqqsvY/SSnFEhMZgDI/AAAAAAAAXF4/Gj5wGULgaPY/s400/time+obama+roosevelt.JPG

TimH
03-11-2009, 11:38 PM
He's done more in 50 days than has been done in the last 5 administrations

You can say that again. Its amazing to have a president with a functioning brain.

Glen Longino
03-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Kaa, so are many millions of Americans.
Maybe the majority of American voters.
I'm eager to watch the next few months and years, while I continue to do as I damn please out here on the prairie, along with millions of others.
We don't no Need no stinking oppression!

Yeadon
03-11-2009, 11:44 PM
For eight years, we had the politics of dope. Now, finally, we have dope we can believe in.

PeterSibley
03-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Maybe someone has done the numbers on how much is lost through the War on Drugs , dollars and the lives of the criminalised .

Glen Longino
03-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Eighty years!

Yeadon
03-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Yes, we have. And it is embarrassing. We'd rather not tell you. Would you care for a hamburger?

Glen Longino
03-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Yes, we have. And it is embarrassing. We'd rather not tell you. Would you care for a hamburger?
Tea, Yeadon, offer him tea.
See where he lives?:eek::)

Kaa
03-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Kaa, so are many millions of Americans.

Ah, no, millions of Americans believe drugs that are currently illegal should stay illegal. That doesn't necessary make them drug warriors.

Rahm Emanuel, on the other hand, on hearing that Alberto Gonzales, then-AG, called the War on Terror "a real war, unlike the War on Drugs" responded:

Thanks for the white flag. From the United States' most senior law enforcement official, the man who should be leading the war on drugs, this white flag of surrender will not be reassuring to the millions of parents trying to protect their kids. (http://www.reason.com/blog/show/130053.html)

And he again, during the Clinton administration:

"We are going to continue to find ways within the administration to fight legalization and the notion of legalization," Rahm Emanuel, a key Clinton drug-policy adviser, said yesterday. "We're against the message that the initiative sends to children. Marijuana does not come cost-free. It is illegal and it is dangerous." (http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle_blog/2008/nov/13/obama_s_chief_of_staff_is_a_craz)

He seems to believe the Bush administration was too soft on drugs.

Kaa

Captain Blight
03-12-2009, 12:20 AM
They will do as they are told by their boss or he will fire them.

And... Emmanuel and Biden are as political as people ever get. They bend whichever way the wind is blowing. As I believe you've pointed out before.

2MeterTroll
03-12-2009, 12:30 AM
yay dont do it but getting tired of having raids in my back yard by the keystone cops

oznabrag
03-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Maybe this will pave the way for the reintroduction of hemp as a row crop.

Hemp is just about the most efficient plant we've got for turning solar energy into chemical energy.

It is far superior to wood pulp for the production of paper products. Making paper from hemp involves the use of no environmentally dangerous chemicals, and the yield per acre is much greater than that of pine.

Oil pressed from hemp seeds can replace virtually all industrial lubricants. IIRC hemp-seed oil was the original fuel used by Dr. Diesel.

The fibers can be made into cordage or into cloth ranging from burlap to several-hundred-thread-count weaves of excellent comfort and durability.

Further still, the pulpy 'hurds' can be made into a variety of plastics at considerably reduced environmental cost compared with petroleum based plastics.

In short, hemp can be a powerful ally if we wish to reduce our dependency on foreign oil, and it can help us radically to reduce the environmental impact of our addiction to petroleum while developing an entire new industry, thus bolstering our economy.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

John T

stevebaby
03-12-2009, 03:09 AM
In case anyone missed this ;

:):):) +1

Phillip Allen
03-12-2009, 10:17 AM
They will do as they are told by their boss or he will fire them.

And... Emmanuel and Biden are as political as people ever get. They bend whichever way the wind is blowing. As I believe you've pointed out before.
all this talk about bending and blowing is getting Bill excited

BETTY-B
03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
A few weks ago when Kerlikowske was brought up in the local news as possibly going to D.C., I commented to a fried that weed would be at the top of the news. Possibly even legalization.

Ooops. I was talking to a friend. Not a fried....

DAN

Yeadon
03-12-2009, 01:26 PM
For eight years, Bush did whatever the hell he wanted. Looking forward to Obama doing the same.

Not the greatest insight in the world, but it is true.

TimH
03-12-2009, 01:39 PM
A few weks ago when Kerlikowske was brought up in the local news as possibly going to D.C., I commented to a fried that weed would be at the top of the news. Possibly even legalization.

Ooops. I was talking to a friend. Not a fried....

DAN

freudian slip? ?

A fried friend maybe :)

Bob Cleek
03-12-2009, 01:40 PM
While they are at it, here's a solution to the economy problem:

Change the looks of the $100 bill and declare all older versions will no longer be legal tender in six months time. This will give the Federal Reserve banks time to remove all the old $100's in ordinary circulation from the stream of commerce and replace them with new $100's in a routine orderly fashion. Anyone can go to a bank and exchange the old $100's under their mattresses for the new ones. After the six month grace period expires, anybody can bring old $100's to their local bank and fill out paperwork explaining why they weren't exchanged before and upon sufficient proof exchange them for new $100's. (For example, "We found these in granny's safe deposit box after she died.")

The law requires that anybody depositing or changing $10,000 in cash has to fill out an IRS report showing where it came from. That will allow the collection of taxes on the large sums of "underground" money floating around, if they attempt to exchange it. Otherwise, they'll have to exchange it by "smurfing," exchanging it in amounts less than $10,000, which for the drug cartels will be a huge pain in the butt.

Eventually, the billions of old $100's in US dollars floating around in the world's black markets will simply cease to be legal tender and that outstanding balance can be converted to "new money" in the US Treasury and used to pay off the national debt.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/Dynomite_Dave/DrugMoney.jpg

http://ljiggy.com/mediac/400_0/media/mexico-drug-money1.jpg

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/images/news/photos/badguysphotos/070322money.jpg

TimH
03-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Ifd they legalized pot they would take power away from the drug cartels.

It could empower the Mexican government to take back their country.

Bob Adams
03-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Ifd they legalized pot they would take power away from the drug cartels.

It could empower the Mexican government to take back their country.

Taxed it could put a hell of a dent in the deficit. Stop about 50% or more of ther drug related gun violence too. Never happen.:p

BETTY-B
03-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I doubt there's much gun violence where weed is concerned. If that were the case, Seattle would be all shot up. It's not....

Legalizing everything is the only way.

Yeadon
03-12-2009, 02:35 PM
The only real problem weed causes in Seattle is there are far too many people driving slowly around neighborhoods, craning their necks and trying to figure out "now, which is the place with the weed?"

You've heard about our horrible traffic? Well, there's your cause.

cybulski
03-13-2009, 09:45 PM
im sorry, i must have been to high and dozed off, what were we talking about?

Phillip Allen
03-13-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm thinking...I'm thinking...make pot legal and it will cause the lay-off of 3/4 of law enforcment (I suppose some several 100K of them)...they'll be hungry, know about drugs and money, convinced that the law does not apply to them and ARMED!

LeeG
03-14-2009, 07:31 AM
I doubt there's much gun violence where weed is concerned. If that were the case, Seattle would be all shot up. It's not....

Legalizing everything is the only way.

you mean consumption or cultivation? As long as it's illegal and there's large sums of money involved there will be guns.

Paul Pless
03-14-2009, 08:22 AM
As long as it's illegal and there's large sums of money involved there will be guns.You're right to an extent. At the 'street' level though its (marijuana) a very different, and much less violent drug market than the harder drugs are.