PDA

View Full Version : Rig question

David W Pratt
03-10-2009, 05:19 PM
What in the world is a "cutter rigged sloop"?
Thanks in advance.

John B
03-10-2009, 05:36 PM
2 or more headsails on a hull which is technically regarded as a sloop. IE mast position yadayada.
Often you'll see a modern cruising boat , originally designed as a standard sloop ,rigged with an inner forestay and staysail. It happens a lot now because of furling genoas... they don't want to change them when the breeze is coming because its a nightmare, don't want to sail with them part furled because it ruins shape , and so they want a staysail to shift down the gears with.

and so the world turns.......

mmd
03-10-2009, 05:45 PM
OK, ok... (sorry David, I'm gonna toss a t___ in the punchbowl); so I agree with John B's definition, but I take exception to the original term. Ya see, as I look at it, you gots yer choice - you can have a sloop (single mast, single fore-'n'-aft main, single headsail) or you can have a cutter (single mast, single main, two (multiple?) headsails), but you can't have a combination of the two. You can even have a square-rigged cutter, but you can't have a cutter-rigged sloop. One or the other. I mean, have you ever heard of a schooner-rigged sloop? How about a square-rigged sloop?

Ya got a cutter.

Or a sloop.

OK, I'll shut up now...

Peerie Maa
03-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Weren't they called slutters?

John B
03-10-2009, 06:08 PM
You're doing a pretty good job with your O and O application there Michael.:D:D

Often people here refer to a sloop retrofitted with an extra headsail as 'cutter head'.
Then again, 'sloop' isn't exactly a word in common useage here either so I suppose there's the whole seperated by a common language thing going on too.

yeah ,slutters LOL.

" what sort of boat do you have?"
"Its a Mull40 cutter"
" No such thing as a Mull 40 cutter whatareyaonabout, they're sloops"

" alright then , its a Mull 40 with an extra forestay and sets a staysail, its a cutter rigged sloop"

mmd
03-10-2009, 06:12 PM
<grin> Somebody has to pick up the slack, John...

John B
03-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Good job you're doing too.. carry on.....:D

I'm going to do it to Riada too( for all the reasons above). a ketch with a cutter head.

James McMullen
03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
mmd--I'm afraid there are indeed square rigged sloops (with three masts each, no less)--though you have to go back a few years to find 'em. Didn't you ever read Forrester or Patrick O'Brien?

My Crocker designed StoneHorse Sloop is described by the designer as a "double headsail sloop" because although she does have two headsails, they have a combined area that is smaller than the area of the mainsail itself, unlike in a true cutter which has a relatively smaller mainsail on a mast that is relatively further back from the pointy end. Y'ain't gonna argue with a legendary designer like Sam Crocker now, is ya?

http://ford.physics.fsu.edu/Stonehorse.jpg

(This one isn't mine, but I don't have a good, illustrative picture of mine own yet)