PDA

View Full Version : TOM CAT Transom

Alan Peck
03-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I have read and enjoyed the book "The making of TOM CAT". I have understood mosteverything in the book. However, I have read the section on the "Curved Transom Option" at least ten(10)times. I see how you can create the mold to form the curve. However, I have no idea how you "mark the curve on each ribband" Do you somehow cut your curved pattern to the shape and dimensions of the transom first? If so, how would you get the dimensions?

If anyone has the book and can explain what is being described on page 24, I would be most grateful.

JimM
03-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Alan
I have also been thinking about building Tom Cat. I think that only way to lay out the outline of the transom is by lofting it on the curved laminated piece. If you make a flat pattern and bend it over the form, your transom will be to small when you are done.

Draw a center line and base line on the curved laminated board. Be sure they are square to each other. Use the measurements you developed lofting the boat. Measure from your base line up the center line and make a mark. Mark you level with the distance from the center line. Hold a level square to the center line. Drop your mesurement on the level down to the transom. A plumbob will work for this. Mark the spot on the boat. When you have a side mark use a batton to draw the fair curve.

It should be easier than it sound with a helper.

Jim McGee

[ 03-29-2005, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: JimM ]

Alan Peck
03-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Jim: Thanks, I am still somewhat confused, but I think I am beginning to get it.

I'll keep looking at it.