PDA

View Full Version : plywood power cats?

boat fan
08-20-2005, 01:11 AM
We had some friends over this evening and after a nice seafood meal and wine , the conversation turned to power boats.
Summer is coming up here soon and our friends
wondered which boat would be the most comfortable to spend a few days here on the bay.
The mono verses multihull debate soon gathered momentum, and our friend Ray made a very interesting comment:"If you want to go boating
instead of several years spent covered in dust
and glue you need to think about building a simple boat , in ply. Nobody has plans out there for a simple and efficient plywood power cat over
30 ft designed to leisurely cruise around the bay" I went to resond....and could not think of any designer offering anything in sheet plywood
either.Seems to me that there would be a market for such plans,I'm not thinking of strip planked or foam cored built boats , maybe stitch and glue or ply on frame designs,something that would bring the cost back down to affordable levels.The cost of ready to go power cats over 30 ft (even used) is outrageous these days....

Wild Dingo
08-20-2005, 03:08 AM
True... sad but true

Hankinsons had some ripsnorters and several here are building them... but the blighters gone and done retired!! I dont recall anyone sayin his designs for Wild Cat or Bearcat were available elsewhere... flamin cheek of the fella eh! :rolleyes: :D

Yes yes a tad smaller than 30ft but you gotta stop quibbling somewhere dontcha? ;)

Id like to get hold of a set of plans as well but know of no one doing them at present... hopefully someone will know someone else whos got them we can get ahold off! :cool:

boat fan
08-20-2005, 03:36 AM
Thanks for your reply shane,
I never really thought about it before, but seems to me that this section of the "do it yourself" plan market has been overlooked , unless there are other reasons ? :confused:

Wild Dingo
08-20-2005, 04:03 AM
No worries mate but... Im damned if I know why it is mate... there seems amply bein made down here out of snot and metal but theyre bein done by factories an are worth a ****eload... I reckon plans must be out there some where!

Hankinsons was the only site Id found with them for the home builder :( And I kept procrastinating so missed it

[ 08-20-2005, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: Wild Dingo ]

joejapan
08-20-2005, 05:23 AM
Really sorry... boatfan and Wild Dingo,... I posted some info for y'all on the wrong thread; take a look at Summers Coming for your catamaran info. !

boat fan
08-20-2005, 05:36 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

brian.cunningham
08-20-2005, 07:41 AM
Glen-L has had designs out for a while
http://www.glen-l.com/designs/outboard/outboard-images/dsn-hct.jpg
http://www.glen-l.com/designs/outboard/aquacat.html
http://www.glen-l.com/designs/outboard/outboard-images/dsn-act.jpg

Our POWER CATAMARANS are hard to beat for speed with comfort. In a rough water chop, the air-cushion between the hulls really smooths out the ride. These boats carry heavier loads than other boats and are very stable, making them ideal family boats for fishing, skiing, or cruising. They turn flat with virtually no banking, and will handle more power than other boats in the same length. For ultimate performance, twin motors are recommended. The cockpit offers exceptional space that you must see to believe. All of our cats are extremely strong and designed for rugged use. Take a close look at the photos and drawings. These are truly unique boats; once you have one you will use it as a standard for ride and room that most other boats will not measure up to.