PDA

View Full Version : New Presidential Super-Helicopter

Nicholas Scheuer
02-27-2009, 07:24 AM
Too bad that when Obama was replying to McCain's question about fiscal responsibility at the recent face-to-face meeting in the Senate (replying with a touch of wit, I might add) that Obama didn't wipe the smirk off McCain's smarmy face with remarks about the Republican SAdministration who considered the project so vital.

Moby Nick

BrianW
02-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Possibly the longest sentence ever posted in the Bilge.

Gary E
02-27-2009, 07:41 AM
What he hell you guys want him to do?... take the bus?

Besides, those new choppers will give people J O B S...
isnt that what gets the economy going?

LeeG
02-27-2009, 07:56 AM
ironically Lockheed got the bid over Sikorsky because it was lower cost and less time. ..

hey, it was a GWOT, the Whitehouse figured that if the folks running the country, GW, Cheney, Addington, were between secure sites and had to land somewhere when the Smoking Gun went off on the Potomac they wanted to make sure the executive branch was ever so linked and in control.

The Lockheed helicoptor held more people than the Sikorsky model,,,,maybe they figured that future presidents would need as many supportive staff as GW did to operate the machinery behind the curtain.

$400million is more than an F22,,yeah baby that's some prime procurement.

BarnacleGrim
02-27-2009, 08:39 AM
What they need is a Eurocopter Ecureuil. It's sleek, efficient and not as lumbering as that old Sikorsky.

http://www.helicomontagne.fr/photosecour/AS350b3.jpg

LeeG
02-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Norman, I don't' know how many there were before but they are used for other people than the prez and they are transported to other countries if needed. No idea how often that happens. I'm guessing that the number reflects production over time so that by the time the last one is made ten years have gone by and others are in maintenance. So there really isn't 28 up and running but maybe five in maintenance, five in use, five in back up and 13 in production.

The stock L101 costs $57million and they're essentially rebuilding it replicating an AirForce One in communications capabilities(I guess) and uparmored.

Protecting the Leader of the Homeland where cost is no object when it comes to the military industrial complex.

SMARTINSEN
02-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Cool Graphics on the Eurocopter.

I think that deferring the helicopter would set a good example.

LeeG
02-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Sounds a lot like the Deepwater Coast Guard project

Phillip Allen
02-27-2009, 08:53 AM
What he hell you guys want him to do?... take the bus?

Besides, those new choppers will give people J O B S...
isnt that what gets the economy going?

not enough Gary...running the ovens gave Germans jobs once

Captain Blight
02-27-2009, 08:59 AM
I wonder if Mr McCain would have objected so vociferously to the project had he won the election. And let's not forget Mr Obama said publicly that he thought the copters he already had seemed perfectly fine. My suspicion is that the cost overruns have some black-budget items buried in them.

Phillip Allen
02-27-2009, 09:17 AM
I don't think any poresident has that much say in those things...it's a ss call

switters
02-27-2009, 09:27 AM
1. The helicopters are operated by a Marine squadron HMX-1. There are two sides to the squadron, a green side and a white side. The white side moves the pres around and the green side is for training the pilots that need to move the pres around.

2. This has been in the works for 4 years. McCain was being pouty and Obama is believing too much of his own press if he believes he is now an expert on helicopter safety.

3. The president usually has several travel routes, which require a helicopter and a back-up for each route, hence the number of helicopters required.

S.V. Airlie
02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
I can see having six or seven but not 28.. Then again, building the suckers will keep people working.. Like the Raptor. Get rid of that and another 25,000 are unemployed.

LeeG
02-27-2009, 10:46 AM
I can see 28,,but not at $400million each.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_One

More than 800 Marines supervise the operation of the Marine One fleet, which is based in Quantico, Virginia, but is more often seen in action on the South Lawn of the White House or at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. At Andrews, it is sometimes used to connect to Air Force One for longer journeys.

ljb5
02-27-2009, 11:13 AM
This is one of those split-the-difference opportunities.

Obviously, the president needs some helicopters. Obviously, the project can be scaled back a bit.

The real news here is McCain's stupidity. He tried to attack Obama for something that was obviously a Bush-era project. Not only does this make McCain look stupid and petty (perhaps even senile).... and it highlights the on-gong Bush failures.... but it gives Obama the perfect opportunity to fix the issue and emerge as the winner.

It's like in baseball. Obama's the relief pitcher who can be credited with a save or a no-decision, but not a loss.

Nicholas Scheuer
02-27-2009, 01:03 PM
My understanding is that there are different flights of them around the World, and theat they need more than one in order to have decoy aircraft.

Moby Nick

TomF
02-27-2009, 01:06 PM
My understanding is that there are different flights of them around the World, and theat they need more than one in order to have decoy aircraft.

Moby NickHow many "Air Force 1" jets are there? Lotsa decoys?

CK 17
02-27-2009, 01:14 PM
I can see having six or seven but not 28.. Then again, building the suckers will keep people working.. Like the Raptor. Get rid of that and another 25,000 are unemployed.

Very ineffcient welfare program, IMHO. Make them build wind turbine blades. The F-22 is a plane with nothing to fight.

LeeG
02-27-2009, 04:40 PM
hmmm, one $400million helicopter equals 200 1.5megawatt windmills,,,doesn't seem like that much

pila
02-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Those old helicopters likely require a lot of maintenence. Most, if not all choppers have life-limited parts in the rotors, and likely elsewhere in the airframe. I wonder what the costs are for keeping them airworthy?

George Roberts
02-28-2009, 08:44 AM
The only questions should concern whether or not the current or future craft fill the need. I suppose neither does.