http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/02/25/obama-family-chooses-dog/

Kaa
02-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I guess...

http://www.traffordphotos.com/assets/images/Portuguese_Water_Dog_9R023D-128.jpg

Kaa

JimM
02-25-2009, 04:04 PM
I sure hope the PWD doesn't suffer from the puppy mills and back yard breeders trying to cash in on the First Families choice of dog. President Ford's Liberty was one of caused of the huge increase in popularity and overbreeding of Golden Ret. since the mid- 70's.

Nicholas Scheuer
02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
We got a mutt 8 weeks ago that looked good enough for us, because she had short hair, looked like "100% DOG", and reportedly had a nice disposition.

We've had a few pleasant surprises since. The dog groomer who gave her a bath (we had 0-degree weather at the time, and I didn't want to do her first bath myself and not get her fiully dry before I might have to let her outside) said "she sure doesn't shed much".

Then another time the check-out lady at the pet supply store gave her a bisquit and said "nice soft mouth".

Then plenty of folks keep saying "such a nice-looking dog", or "such lovely eyes", "what a nice color" (shades of russet brown).

All this about a dog of which we know only that her mother was a German Shpherd and she's 1.5 years old.

Ginger had great muscle tone, can run like the wind, and looks as graceful as a ballerina when she leaps.

Who needs a pedigree?

Moby Nick

elf
02-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Ceilidgh is only as neurotic as one would expect being owned by Jamie.

pcford
02-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Talked to a Portuguese water dog today. Nice pup. Mellow.

elf
02-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Hmmm... a friend of mine got a Portuguese Water Dog for his family... and ended up returning the dog to the breeder. It seems that the dog was nuerotic... frightened to death of my friend, despite warming to the kids. It became too much of a problem to deal with.

I have no idea if the breed suffers from this sort of thing, or if it was atypical, though.

Pets reflect their owners most of the time. 100 to 1 he didn't really want a dog.

S.V. Airlie
02-26-2009, 07:45 AM
I sure hope the PWD doesn't suffer from the puppy mills and back yard breeders trying to cash in on the First Families choice of dog. President Ford's Liberty was one of caused of the huge increase in popularity and overbreeding of Golden Ret. since the mid- 70's.

The breeders I know do not want that to happen. Luckily, they are not cheap which weeds out those who just want one because.

C'dog, although small for the breed has no problems Norman other thn the fact that she can be a stubborn HUSSY!

BarnacleGrim
02-26-2009, 08:15 AM
I don't really see why it has to be a shelter dog, just because he's the president of the United States.

It's a perfect opportunity to raise awareness about the importance in good breeders in beating the puppy mill problem, improving the health of the breeds and reducing the number of homeless dogs altogether. Adopting is great, don't get me wrong, but let's do some work in keeping dogs off the streets in the first place, at least the purebred ones.

elf
02-26-2009, 08:24 AM
The photos of the Obama girls washing the dog are going to be really great for my screensaver!

Joe (SoCal)
02-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Pets reflect their owners most of the time. 100 to 1 he didn't really want a dog.

Not 100% I'm trying to become the man my dog is.

Lucky is about as laid back and happy go lucky as a dog can get. He's just the sweetest dog, only knows love, never barks and is never loud. If we are out walking and he see another dog he will always greet them without a bark but a wag of the tail. Should they growl or show teeth he just walks away tail still wagging. He takes all things in life good and bad with ease and a smile as you all know lab's are the only dogs capable of smiling ;)

Lucky is the best dog ever.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-26-2009, 08:49 AM
C'dog, although small for the breed has no problems Norman other thn the fact that she can be a stubborn HUSSY!

Female?

S.V. Airlie
02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Female?

Now P.I., I don't think I would ever call a guy "HUSSY". Not even a "moma's boy".

So yes, a female!!!

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Now P.I., I don't think I would ever call a guy "HUSSY". Not even a "moma's boy".

So yes, a female!!!

And "Stubborn" comes as a surprise?

S.V. Airlie
02-26-2009, 10:33 AM
And "Stubborn" comes as a surprise?

not really.:D I did not want a dog that pee'd on the mast. A female fit the bill.