PDA

View Full Version : The Republican Response

huisjen
02-25-2009, 07:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOFBlKiGtak&feature=related

Tom Montgomery
02-25-2009, 07:30 AM
I listened to Bobby Jindal (for the first time) on my way into work. Does he always speachify in this sing-song manner? His delivery struck me as resembling an infomercial huckster.

Chris Coose
02-25-2009, 07:51 AM
It was like Mr. Rogers putting children to bed.

Palin/Jindal !!!!

LeeG
02-25-2009, 08:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOFBlKiGtak&feature=related

the cats did not appreciate that

S.V. Airlie
02-25-2009, 08:29 AM
I listened to Bobby Jindal (for the first time) on my way into work. Does he always speachify in this sing-song manner? His delivery struck me as resembling an infomercial huckster.

I think it is his heritage. Both parents were from India.

Besides the point. I was not impressed with his response. In fact, he really did not respond to specifics outlined in the President's message.

Also, too homey, good old boy approach.

John of Phoenix
02-25-2009, 08:47 AM
The savior of the republican party sounds like an infomercial huckster? Well, concentrate on the message then...

Bobby:
Democratic leaders say their legislation will grow the economy. What it will do is grow the government, increase our taxes down the line and saddle future generations with debt.
And they know God would strike them dead if they ever did that themselves. <thunder clap in the direction of DC>
-----

Obama:
While our economy may be weakened and our confidence shaken, though we are living through difficult and uncertain times, tonight I want every American to know this: We will rebuild, we will recover, and the United States of America will emerge stronger than before.

Bobby:
But don't let anyone tell you that we cannot recover. Don't let anyone tell you that America 's best days are behind her.
No one did. Fear, hate and lies.

ljb5
02-25-2009, 09:12 AM

Well, he was an exorcist/faith healer.

ljb5
02-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Hmm, tried a woman Governor, tried an ethnic minority Governor....neither of them work...the elephants must be getting desperate.

A suggestion for the back room (good old) boys of the elephant party - try selecting politicians who can stand on their own feet rather than casting around for gimmicks.

The new head of the Republicans is a black man who says he wants to make it the Hip-Hop party.

Mrleft8
02-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Jindal sounded like he was talking to a room full of third graders.....Which, considering the target audience, is probably the right approach.

S.V. Airlie
02-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Well perhaps Pres. Obama is the democratic version of Teddy Roosevelt.
Not all Republicans are losers.
Heck, Lincoln was a Republican.

TomF
02-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Was interesting that Obama specificically referenced Teddy Roosevelt's comments 100 years ago about the need for health care reform.

Message I got was that Obama's looking for bi-partisanship on all these issues, and will welcome it. But will not allow the looking for it to de-rail his priority agendas. Health care reform is a priority - will have real action this year - and the Reps are invited and welcome to participate ... but foot-dragging will get them gently but firmly put off the train.

capt jake
02-25-2009, 09:57 AM

The definitions of Republican and Democrat flopped sides a long time ago. I think it was shortly after the turn of the century. Interesting that this happened. No I don't have a link. I read it and saw reference to it on a history special.

Keith Wilson
02-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Well perhaps Pres. Obama is the democratic version of Teddy Roosevelt. Not all Republicans are losers.No, there are certainly lots of good Republicans. In fact, we really need a reasonable center-right party to balance the excesses of the Democrats, one that isn't captive to the "government is always bad" libertarians, nor to the fundamentalists. I though Jindahl might be that sort, but now I'm not so sure.

The exorcism bit, BTW is real; Mr Jindahl apparently wrote an article in 1994 for the New Oxford Review, a very conservative Catholic magazine, about an exorcism and faith-healing in which he participated. Details here. (http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/06/bobby_jindals_dance_with_the_d.php)

S.V. Airlie
02-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Well, he did mention that the government was buying 300 new cars.. I just hope they were all Chryslers.

Bottom line was not impressed....

George.
02-25-2009, 10:04 AM

And so was Ike.

But the "good" Republicans all seem to be exceptions that prove the rule. Lincoln, the first Republican president, was set to oppose his own party on Reconstruction when he was shot. Teddy R. quit the party in frustration. And Ike was a war hero drafted into politics who went out warning about the very policies that most Republicans like to indulge in: excessive support for big business and military spending.

LeeG
02-25-2009, 10:08 AM
I think it is his heritage. Both parents were from India.

Besides the point. I was not impressed with his response. In fact, he really did not respond to specifics outlined in the President's message.

Also, too homey, good old boy approach.

I'm listening to him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHmroP71A2s

the basic message seems to be "don't forget us Republicans, we're Americans too!"

S.V. Airlie
02-25-2009, 10:08 AM
And so was Ike.

But the "good" Republicans all seem to be exceptions that prove the rule. Lincoln, the first Republican president, was set to oppose his own party on Reconstruction when he was shot. Teddy R. quit the party in frustration. And Ike was a war hero drafted into politics who went out warning about the very policies that most Republicans like to indulge in: excessive support for big business and military spending.

George.. I think Teddy was frustrated with TAFT not nec. the party although Taft was head of the party. In '08, as TR had promised in 04, he did not run again but backed Taft ( then VP ) as he felt Taft would continue his policies..
So, bottom line, not sure who he was frustrated with. Arguments can be made with both interpretations.

LeeG
02-25-2009, 10:09 AM

what?

Keith Wilson
02-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Check my link in #17. It's true.

PatCox
02-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Now, if, as Jindal believes, life begins at conception, then he moved to America when he was 4 and a half months old, and is therefore ineligible to be President.

He was an anchor baby, can you beat that?

johngsandusky
02-25-2009, 10:20 AM
And yet, every time your Messiah makes a speech or passes a bill, the market falls 300 points, and 100,000 people lose their jobs.
That's change you can believe in.

Captain Blight
02-25-2009, 10:24 AM
And yet, every time your Messiah makes a speech or passes a bill, the market falls 300 points, and 100,000 people lose their jobs.
That's change you can believe in.
My Messiah is you, John. Didn't you know that? Why are you making people lose jobs? Why do you hate America?

Gary E
02-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Meanwhile, if the market is controled by the repubs,
they just gave brakos spech a big... screw you dummy, see how ya like a tanked market...
SELL...SELLL....SELL

huisjen
02-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Bark, Bark, Howl, Bark, bark, bark, bark, bark, howl, bark, bark, bark, howl, whine, whimper, yip...

John of Phoenix
02-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Jindal narrated a bizarre story of a personal encounter with a demon, in which he participated in an exorcism with a group of college friends. And not only did they cast out the supernatural spirit that had possessed his friend, Jindal wrote that he believes that their ritual may well have cured her cancer.
Some strong **** that guy's using.

huisjen
02-25-2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/2/24/225515/637/244/701488

Take that, nattering nabobs of negativism.

Dan

John of Phoenix
02-25-2009, 10:42 AM
It's fortunate that republicans don't pay attention to polls.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/kos102/2009/Other/Poll-1.jpg

pefjr
02-25-2009, 10:55 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/kos102/2009/Other/three-stooges.jpgIf you think I am going to ride in a Chrysler, you have another think coming.

Chris Ostlind
02-25-2009, 11:06 AM
This response to the Response is kind of interesting:

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2009/02/fox_news_panel_pans_jindal.php

And this one off of a Twitter discussion... "Does it not concern Louisiana that their governor is channeling Kenneth the Page from 30 Rock?"

ChrisO

John of Phoenix
02-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Here's another good one.

"If it sounds like he’s talking to fourth graders, it’s because he is. They’re probably the next people that will ever vote for Republicans again."

Mrleft8
02-25-2009, 11:51 AM
I can't imagine Lieberman even running again much less winning....But stranger things have happened. How did the whining, simpering, weasle land the chairmanship of Homeland Security anyway?

LeeG
02-25-2009, 11:52 AM

ok now, he PARTICIPATED in one,,that is different than assigning him the identity of being one.

capt jake
02-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Maybe he was exorcised? ;) ;) Or he needs it....

pefjr
02-25-2009, 12:01 PM
By the year 2012 your flock of Republican haters will be so choked by the taxes you are paying to support these welfare programs, you will be begging for any responsible candidate you can get your vote on.

Mrleft8
02-25-2009, 12:12 PM
By the year 2012 your flock of Republican haters will be so choked by the taxes you are paying to support these welfare programs, you will be begging for any responsible candidate you can get your vote on.
Which "welfare programs" are you refering to?

ljb5
02-25-2009, 12:13 PM
ok now, he PARTICIPATED in one,,that is different than assigning him the identity of being one.

An exorcist is a person who performs an exorcism.

pefjr
02-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Which "welfare programs" are you refering to?
You could start with LBJ and "The Great Society". But, lets stumble forward through all the programs put into place since LBJ. Let's go straight to the recent additions, the "bail outs".

huisjen
02-25-2009, 12:33 PM
See? No mention of the trillions gone missing under the Bush administration, just "Woof, Bark, Bark, Howl, Bark, bark, bark..." Dogs in kennels whining about how they're not running loose.

Dan

TomF
02-25-2009, 12:43 PM
You could start with LBJ and "The Great Society". But, lets stumble forward through all the programs put into place since LBJ. Let's go straight to the recent additions, the "bail outs".Let's start with the trillion dollar deficits which the Reps rang up. How do you propose paying for them, let alone for the costs of the bank failures precipitated over the past 8 years? The first bailout proposed, you'll recall, by the previous Rep administration.

Paying taxes inow s better than leaving debts for future generations. They'll have their own troubles, without having to pay off ours as well. I recognize that the Rep mantra was cut taxes, so the economy will grow, and the tax base thereby improve.

how's that worked for you?

ccmanuals
02-25-2009, 12:55 PM
I would agree with Chris Matthews when he said that they couldn't find anyone in congress with any credibility to provide the response so their solution was to "outsource" it.

Captain Blight
02-25-2009, 12:58 PM
You could start with LBJ and "The Great Society". But, lets stumble forward through all the programs put into place since LBJ. Let's go straight to the recent additions, the "bail outs".Fine. Name 'em, ALL of them. Who proposed the bill, who voted for them, how much funding they've received, and how successful (or not) they've been, along with a precis on the reasons why or why not.

If you can't provide that, then it's painfully apparent that you're just guessing and in point of fact have no real idea what the hell you're talking about.

pefjr
02-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Let's start with the trillion dollar deficits which the Reps rang up. How do you propose paying for them, let alone for the costs of the bank failures precipitated over the past 8 years? The first bailout proposed, you'll recall, by the previous Rep administration.

Paying taxes inow s better than leaving debts for future generations. They'll have their own troubles, without having to pay off ours as well. I recognize that the Rep mantra was cut taxes, so the economy will grow, and the tax base thereby improve.

how's that worked for you?
If you start back, go to LBJ. Every administration since LBJ has contributed. When does it stop? It will stop when the dollar becomes worthless. No nation will want it, no one will buy the Bonds. Of course the Feds can keep the printing machine going for awhile on promises. Then default , and beg for world debt write off. That way the future tax payers will slide.

The proposal I would make? Do not reward incompetence(GM and others). Reward those that are responsible. In the mist of this economic crisis there are many US Corporations that are surviving and if fact getting lean and mean.

I look at it like I would a Wilderness Area. Let nature take its course, survival of the fittest.

But, that approach is not politics, and will only get a few votes. So, the beat goes on.

John of Phoenix
02-25-2009, 01:14 PM
LBJ? Hey jr, you ignore that dubya was left with a $125 billion surplus that he and his cohorts turned into the greatest debacle since the depression.

Try again.

pefjr
02-25-2009, 01:20 PM
LBJ? Hey jr, you ignore that dubya was left with a $125 billion surplus that he and his cohorts turned into the greatest debacle since the depression.

Try again.
Lets not ignore it. Defending democracy is not cheap. I would say its too damn costly for just us. We should demand that those nations we protect pay a fair share. Or, don't protect them

capt jake
02-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Lets not ignore it. Defending democracy is not cheap. I would say its too damn costly for just us. We should demand that those nations we protect pay a fair share. Or, don't protect them
I agree with you on that point.

John of Phoenix
02-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Nice non sequitur.

pefjr
02-25-2009, 01:28 PM
greatest debacle since the depression.

I have only read and heard about the Great Depression. I have experienced a couple recessions(72 and 82) and this one we are in. These recessions pale in comparison to what I have read about. Not even close. YET

TimH
02-25-2009, 01:32 PM
He stuck his foot in his mouth with all that talk about New Orleans...one of the Republicans worst failures.

pefjr
02-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Nice non sequitur.
If you can not follow, try leading

S.V. Airlie
02-25-2009, 01:38 PM
So he is an exorist! We all have our demons!

Perhaps this is an omen.

elf
02-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Of what? The Republicans' inability to come up with any solutions more effective than exorcism?

S.V. Airlie
02-25-2009, 01:45 PM
perhaps elf. Don't know.

I listened to the President last night.. Thought he did a good job. Better than the Gov. of LA. On the other side of the coin, following through is gonna be the hard part. Not that whatever happens is gonna effect me in the sense that if the economy continues to go downhill, which it is, there is nothing in his package for people going back to work after retiring.

Um, Dow is down again. Whoopee!

Captain Blight
02-25-2009, 02:07 PM
there is nothing in his package for people going back to work after retiring.

I'd be really surprised to see that included on any package and not decried as "pork."

Robmill0605
02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
He stuck his foot in his mouth with all that talk about New Orleans...one of the Republicans worst failures.

No intent here to divert this thread, but I feel compelled to respond to this distortion.
There is plently of blame to go around for New Orleans and the Katrina response. Repbulicans AND Democrats alike. To pretend that this was just a Republican failure is just wrong. Gov. Blanco and the Mayor of New Orleans were totally over their heads and unprepared for Katrina.
I guess the thousands of rescues by the Coast Guard were a Republican failure also?
Here's a NBC report on Gov, Blanco;

NBC's Lisa Myers Reports on Governor Blanco's Katrina Mistakes

By Brad Wilmouth (Bio (http://newsbusters.org/bios/brad-wilmouth.html) | Archive (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brad-wilmouth))

October 8, 2005 - 23:04 ET

<LI class=last_task>http://media.eyeblast.org/newsbusters/graphics/email.png (http://newsbusters.org/forward/2072)
http://media.eyeblast.org/newsbusters/graphics/print.png (http://newsbusters.org/node/2072/print)

http://newsbusters.org/media/2005-10-08-NBCNNMyers2.jpgOn the Saturday edition of the NBC Nightly News, anchored by John Seigenthaler, correspondent Lisa Myers reported several critical mistakes made by Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco in handling the Hurricane Katrina crisis. The story even showcased a whispered conversation, recorded by CNN, between Blanco and an aide in which Blanco admitted she had been too slow in asking for federal troops. Blanco: "I really need to call for the military ... and I should have started that in the first call."
Myers also relayed that when Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ordered a mandatory evacuation 20 hours before Katrina hit, they were ignoring the advice of experts who had warned it would take 48 hours. Additionally, Blanco was slow to get National Guard troops to restore order. A complete transcript of the story follows:

John Seigenthaler: "In the aftermath of the hurricanes, NBC News has been taking a hard look at response failures by government officials, and there are plenty to go around. We've already brought you reviews of federal and city actions. Well, tonight, NBC's senior investigative correspondent Lisa Myers focuses on the performance of Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco."
Lisa Myers: "It was Governor Blanco's first big disaster, and on that Saturday, less than 48 hours before Katrina hit, she reassured the state."
Governor Kathleen Blanco (D-LA): "I believe that we are really prepared. That's the one thing that I've always been able to brag about."
Myers: "Though experts had warned it would take 48 hours to evacuate New Orleans, Blanco did not order a mandatory evacuation that Saturday."
Blanco: "And we're going to pray that the impact will soften."
Myers: "She and the mayor waited until Sunday, only 20 hours before Katrina came ashore, to order a mandatory evacuation, the first of what disaster experts and Louisiana insiders say were serious mistakes by the governor."
State Senator Donald Cravins (D-LA): "It certainly appeared that there was a lot of indecisiveness exhibited by the governor in the early stages of the disaster."
Myers: "A key criticism, the governor's slowness in requesting federal troops. She told the President she needed help, but it wasn't until Wednesday that she specifically asked for 40,000 troops. That day, in a whispered conversation with her staff caught on camera, the governor appears to second-guess herself."
Blanco: "I really need to call for the military."
Unidentified female aide: "Yes, you do. Yes, you do."
Blanco: "And I should have started that in the first call."
Myers: "Another key mistake, experts say, Blanco's lateness in getting the Louisiana National Guard, which she commands, on the streets to try to establish security."
Jane Bullock, Former Clinton FEMA Official: "It would have been better if it had happened sooner."
Myers: "And remember the chaos at the Convention Center? We now know there were at least 250 Guardsmen deployed in another part of that building. But they were engineers, not police, so they were not directed to help restore order or even to share their food and water."
Colonel Doug Mouton, Louisiana National Guard: "I think we would've hurt a lot of people if we'd tried to take that on."
Myers: "The governor would not say whether she made the decision not to use these troops, and tells NBC News that her state's response to Katrina was, quote, 'very well-planned' and 'executed with great precision and effectiveness.'"
Roy Fletcher, Louisiana Political Consultant: "How could any governor argue that they have done what they can do when people were left on an interstate without food and water for a week?"
Myers: "The governor has said she takes responsibility for what went wrong, but insists her biggest mistake was believing FEMA officials who told her help was on the way. Lisa Myers, NBC News, Washington."

pefjr
02-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Don't blame, provide solutions.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/25/technology/tech_anthropologists.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2009022510

Captain Blight
02-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Don't blame, provide solutions.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/25/technology/tech_anthropologists.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2009022510Geez, I had my rant-o-meter dialed all the way up but it's unnecessary for this; excellent article, thanks.

johnw
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
I know I posted this on another thread, but this is where it belongs. From Andrew Sullivan:

25 Feb 2009 10:25 am
Obama And Jindal

A reader writes:

Talking to a witty, politically tuned-in co-worker this morning about the speech and response last night. His summation:

"That was like watching Will Smith vs. Urkle ... Who do you think the American people are going to listen to?"

LeeG
02-25-2009, 03:23 PM
obviously no one figured out how to link Hurricanes to Al Qaeda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fema#FEMA_under_Department_of_Homeland_Security_.2 82003.E2.80.93present.29

The "Final Report of the Select Bipartisan Committee to Investigate the Preparation for and Response to Hurricane Katrina", released February 15, 2006 by the U.S. Government Printing Office, revealed that federal funding to states for “all hazards” disaster preparedness needs was not awarded unless the local agencies made the purposes for the funding a “just terrorism” function.[10]

Emergency management professionals testified that funds for preparedness for natural hazards was given less priority than preparations for counter terrorism measures. Testimony also expressed the opinion that the mission to mitigate vulnerability and prepare for natural hazard disasters before they occurred had been separated from disaster preparedness functions, making the nation more vulnerable to known hazards, like hurricanes.[11]

TomF
02-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Pefjr,

What created your trillion dollar deficit was the combination of the Iraq war (not the Afghanistan one), combined with tax cuts.

How did busting up a regional dictator's country, which posed no threat to yours, somehow defend your democracy? Or mine, for that matter? The families of hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians might now pose a threat, since they're understandably pissed off.

Robmill0605
02-25-2009, 04:00 PM
However, you only posted a C&P critical of the Democratic governor. If there's plenty of blame for both parties, what about the other side?

There is no need to post anything blaming the other side. I'm not trying to suggest there is no blame on the Republican side.
There certainly is.
I'm not the one claiming it was a Republican failure.
I'm just pointing out it was not just a republican failure .

pefjr
02-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Pefjr,

What created your trillion dollar deficit was the combination of the Iraq war (not the Afghanistan one), combined with tax cuts.

How did busting up a regional dictator's country, which posed no threat to yours, somehow defend your democracy? Or mine, for that matter? The families of hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians might now pose a threat, since they're understandably pissed off.
How did busting up a regional dictator's country, which posed no threat to yours, somehow defend your democracy?

True, he was no threat, I just said it is expensive. I should add that it is also very expensive to try to create a democracy in the middle east. One big stumbling block: "Freedom of Religion" is a must have. Not a lot of that freedom has ever been practiced in the Middle East.

I noticed a clip somewhere that we will be out 2010? Can't find it now.

Yes, a lot of peripheral damage(innocent people) it that effort. Have you forgotten the ones gassed, or the families of dead Americans and Israelis killed for the $25,000 reward given out by Saddam to the family of any suicide bomber that wants to go to the "Promise Land" by killing anything out there representing the US.

Its a mess and I would be glad to see it over, but this war is a continuation of a war started thousands of years ago. It will not be over when we leave.

When you pick up a hand full of sand in the Middle East and let it trickle through your fingers you can hear the moans and cry's of a thousand generations of moms mourning for their sons.

S.V. Airlie
02-26-2009, 07:57 AM
I'd be really surprised to see that included on any package and not decried as "pork."

I have yet to see any bill passed that doesn't have tons of pork in it. ( I know the President would like to see less but won't ever happen ) So, there is a chance.:rolleyes:

elf
02-26-2009, 07:58 AM
One man's pork is another man's bacon.

S.V. Airlie
02-26-2009, 08:00 AM
One man's pork is another man's bacon.

That just depends on how it is cooked or not cooked. Piggy still dies.

Osborne Russell
02-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Jindal is a myth-rebuilder. He says the Republican Party "went along" with Big Government the last eight years. They didn't really want to. They forgot to make the government smaller. They were forcibly prevented. They were tricked.

They also didn't want all the money they made from it, and are going to give it back, same as the stimulus money.

huisjen
02-26-2009, 03:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV5s0tWcuL4&eurl=http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/2/26/132941/916/561/702180&feature=player_embedded

John of Phoenix
02-26-2009, 03:56 PM
I think that speech, if it can be called that, may have marked the apex of Jindal's presidential potential and the beginning of his meteoric fall.

They should have given the ball to Sarah. She never fumbles. :D :D

Keith Wilson
02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
I have yet to see any bill passed that doesn't have tons of pork in it.What is the difference between economic stimulus and "pork"? How do you tell? The point is to spend money now to get the economy going again, and partly compensate for the whopping pile of money that has vanished into thin air with the recent economic troubles. Some spending is more effective than others, but a stimulus bill IS a spending bill.

pefjr
02-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm getting a little tired of the uneducated response of Republican diehards. Can we have the response of an educated one?
You can't row a boat through Republican waters nowdays. You have to get out and drag your boat across it.

Doug
For now crank up that centerboard, but the tide will come back in.

John of Phoenix
02-26-2009, 04:39 PM
What is the difference between economic stimulus and "pork"? How do you tell? The point is to spend money now to get the economy going again, and partly compensate for the whopping pile of money that has vanished into thin air with the recent economic troubles. Some spending is more effective than others, but a stimulus bill IS a spending bill.
Isn't it astonishing that this has to be explained? Look up the WPA and CCC.
We did the tax cut thing and how'd that work out? That's how we got HERE.
And that $600 rebate thing did what exactly? Went to China for more cheap crap.

So now we're doing things differently. "Change you can believe in."

Osborne Russell
02-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Congress could take an intermediate stance in establishing its own credibility by not glomming hundreds of spending measures into one bill. At least disclose who voted for what, specifically. Not the same as self-discipline, true, but a step in the right direction.

The objection would be, you expect me to read all this crap? Every single bridge, road, day care center? Well, yes. If you don't, then of necessity, it's government by throwing money at problems, hoping it sticks to the right ones.

If you don't have the time to prepare and thus act knowledgably, common sense and bitter experience suggest you shouldn't act at all. Now that's conservative.

pefjr
02-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Went to China for more cheap crap

Take another look at that cheap China product. The world is buying it and it is not crap anymore. Take the Violin. For over three centuries the best instrument WAS coming out of Italy. No more. The Chinese violin makers went to Italy 20 odd years ago and studied the Italian methods, even improving on them. Then they went back to China and trained other makers and now China makes the best violin in the world. Even the Italian manufactures have recognized this and no longer make their own violins. The Italians import from China and put their stamp on it and sell it as if they made it.

A lot of violins players don't even know this. They will pay more money for a violin they think is made in Italy. A good violin made in China sells from 200.00 up to thousands. Tell them is made in Italy and get 4 times that amount. Same violin.

TomF
02-26-2009, 07:55 PM
True. My current cello is Chinese, and it is a wonderful value.

pefjr
02-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Yes, you can now buy a "brand new" "China made" violin made with old wood for better sound.

Captain Blight
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes, you can now buy a "brand new" "China made" violin made with old wood for better sound.
You know, that's not the sort of thing that worries me. What keeps me up nights are the waves of cheap plastic crap. I mean, it's plastic, and it's just extra shoddy. I guess there are some kinds of plastic that are better than others, and I really don't run into the good kind much any more. Leave a Chinese rope out in the sun all summer long right next to an American one, and see which one frays the worst, first.

pefjr
02-26-2009, 08:46 PM
The Chinese are probably here as we speak , studying the differences to make it better and cheaper.

huisjen
02-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Here's another one. Rachel Maddow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUjxE8Z2xcw

Dan

elf
02-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Sorry, Dan. She just can't channel Blitzer.