PDA

View Full Version : Feeling awesome.

Michael Beckman
02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Took Angyapik out for the first time today. Just paddling with a friend, in a downpour. It was amazing. Going to try out sailing tomorrow.

I will take pictures tomorrow. Forgot about that today.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
02-24-2009, 12:13 AM
What's a Angyapik?

Yeadon
02-24-2009, 12:15 AM
It's Beckman's alter ego, aka, his boat.

02-24-2009, 12:17 AM
I guessed that but, what does the word mean,or is it a name?

Nevermind I looked it up.
It's a boat made by the Yupik Eskimos.
A walrus-hide hunting boat.
It literaly means "real boat".
Looking forward to photos Michael.
No wonder you feel awesome.

Michael Beckman
02-24-2009, 12:35 AM
From what I recall the word is Yupik (Eskimos) with a basic translation of "real boat" Similar to the real McCoy. James McMullen could probably give a better explanation than me.

02-24-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm guessing yours isn't walrus-hide?

Michael Beckman
02-24-2009, 01:44 AM
Nah. Seal pups are more readily available these days.

I believe the skin is some form of Nylon.

katey
02-24-2009, 06:12 AM
Michael,

I assume you've read Dyson's "Baidarka?"

Michael Beckman
02-24-2009, 10:42 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_4gPfG4jYHQk/SaS8Nv-GhoI/AAAAAAAAJ0w/E0jgANlPnF4/s800/P2240005.JPG
Paddles are fun.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_4gPfG4jYHQk/SaS7pjhyTKI/AAAAAAAAJyU/LCLJFwYPZog/s800/P2241070.JPG
Stopping for a bite to eat at Waterfront Pizza.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4gPfG4jYHQk/SaS70o3kbqI/AAAAAAAAJzc/WnLBawr8svo/s800/P2241079.JPG
Sailing out of Point Hudson

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_4gPfG4jYHQk/SaS87-MJsSI/AAAAAAAAJ18/2xSTpBcjtaM/s800/P2240022.JPG
Trying to get back to the boat ramp before dark. The wind died, of course. Lots of fun though.

Plumbtex
02-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Very cool Michael, more please.

Yeadon
02-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Looks like you had a blast ... rowing around and eating pizza. I'd sign up for a trip like that any day.

C. Ross
02-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Jealous.

Don't invite Yeadon. He'll eat all your pizza while you do all the rowing, obviously.

BETTY-B
02-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Nice. Very nice.

The wind sure wasnt dead across the Hood Canal bridge nor on the ferry at around five. What time did you make it to BETTY?

Hey, you almost got BETTY-B in the background of that one in Hudson.

DAN

Michael Beckman
02-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Looks like you had a blast ... rowing around and eating pizza. I'd sign up for a trip like that any day.

Having a small public beach next to the pizza place is an absolutely amazing thing.

More pictures:

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2396/238/1/762934570/n762934570_1315237_4667.jpg
The boom is not quite round, and definitely not quite straight. But it works well enough for me, and I am actually fond of the rough style on a boat like this. The yard is a nicer pole, since I figured it was more important to keep that one from bending. I will probably have to find a new boom though, as this one bends a little more than I'd like.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2396/238/1/762934570/n762934570_1315245_7060.jpg
Blurryness! Headed back in to Boat Haven.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2396/238/1/762934570/n762934570_1315284_1060.jpg
Dropping sail in Point Hudson. Sailing in with next to no wind was interesting. Lots of little tacks.

Michael Beckman
02-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Nice. Very nice.

The wind sure wasnt dead across the Hood Canal bridge nor on the ferry at around five. What time did you make it to BETTY?

Hey, you almost got BETTY-B in the background of that one in Hudson.

DAN

Had a very slight breeze when we started.. around 4. Under 5 knots. Died off from there, we got back to the boat ramp at 5:45. I was actually worried, it was blowing pretty well an hour before we put in. This was perfect for getting the rigging details figured out. The sheet fell off at one point, so I was quite glad for the light winds.

Heres a small chunk of BETTY-B, and a big chunk of me:
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2396/238/1/762934570/n762934570_1315243_6445.jpg

02-25-2009, 03:59 AM
A very cool boat Michael.
Great photos!
Thank you for posting them.

James McMullen
02-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Your pictures are making my morning turn out great! Lovely to see the old girl full of a heap of people again. I can't wait to meet you out on the water this spring. I'll probably launch Rowan at Keystone and sail over at least once. . . .maybe there's some other sail & oar folks who want to join in the fun.

As Doctor Maturin would say, "I give you joy of it, my dear Captain!"

Popeye
02-25-2009, 09:59 AM
i have never tried tofu pizza , looks good tho'

willmarsh3
02-25-2009, 10:15 AM
That looks like an awesome boat.

Trying to get back to the boat ramp before dark. The wind died, of course. Lots of fun though.

That got me a good chuckle. I did that on the inaugural sail of No Strings Attached - and I got back to the ramp about the point where it gets too dark to see. :D :D

switters
02-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Supa good, this is one of those threads that rises above the bilge. Thanks for the photos,

L.W. Baxter
02-25-2009, 10:32 AM
I love the thread title. Hold on to that feeling.

huisjen
02-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Okay, I'm jealous.

Dan

Mrleft8
02-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Nice!
Tell me about that pizza....Whale blubber? ;) :D

Paul Pless
02-25-2009, 12:06 PM
You got it going on there dude!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4gPfG4jYHQk/SaS70o3kbqI/AAAAAAAAJzc/WnLBawr8svo/s800/P2241079.JPG

Screw NOAA, you should do the irresponsible neo-hippie thing and sail to Alaska this summer. Trust me on this.

seanz
02-25-2009, 04:45 PM

Screw NOAA, you should do the irresponsible neo-hippie thing and sail to Alaska this summer. Trust me on this.

Work is sooo over-rated.
;):D

If that sort of local sailing is available to you, you'll be fine whatever happens.
Awesome.
:)

Michael Beckman
02-25-2009, 05:25 PM

This has been on my mind quite a bit lately. I'm not sure I could turn down a free ride through school though.

Michael Beckman
02-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Your pictures are making my morning turn out great! Lovely to see the old girl full of a heap of people again. I can't wait to meet you out on the water this spring. I'll probably launch Rowan at Keystone and sail over at least once. . . .maybe there's some other sail & oar folks who want to join in the fun.

As Doctor Maturin would say, "I give you joy of it, my dear Captain!"
Sounds great. I need to get my oars done still so I don't need 4 people to paddle. Tried paddling upwind with 2 people, and it went alright, if somewhat slow. Wouldn't want to do it all day though. Rowing is more my style. I've gotta take the tholepins out too. They swelled up and got stuck, which is a bit of an annoyance for paddling. Definitely an amazing boat though, I was very happy to get on the water and get an idea of how everything worked. Very simple to sail.. something that I've always enjoyed.

i have never tried tofu pizza , looks good tho'

No tofu, cheesey goodness.

02-27-2009, 12:49 AM
How about some more details on this fine boat?
Seems to handle 4 people pretty well, how big is it?

Yeadon
02-27-2009, 12:52 AM
Hey Alexander Supertramp, that boat have any room for some pfd's?

02-27-2009, 12:58 AM
It looked like one of the girls had one.
Bet that water's cold eh?

Michael Beckman
02-27-2009, 12:58 AM
How about some more details on this fine boat?
Seems to handle 4 people pretty well, how big is it?

Hey Alexander Supertramp, that boat have any room for some pfd's?
Heh, I have no intentions of dying in the wilderness. Though that book has made me think itd be fun to just sail without worrying about the details. Until I ran out of rice and starved anyway..

I had 4 PFDs aboard, but felt that the conditions were light enough to be alright without wearing them. I never go out without a PFD for everyone, but I don't worry too much about wearing them all the time. Perhaps not the safest way, but I feel no danger of falling out while paddling or rowing. Fast sailing warrants a life jacket around here though.

Paul Girouard
02-27-2009, 01:12 AM
It looked like one of the girls had one.

Bet that water's cold eh?

Girls tend to be smarter than boys eh :D

About 50 deg. year round I think.

02-27-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm guessing a light boat like that would sail pretty fast with the right conditions.
I see fun in your future.

Yeadon
02-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Maybe it's because I'm what you'd call pre-middle-aged, or maybe because they make you wear one down at CWB and I've just gotten used to that culture, but pretty much every time I get in an open boat I put on my pfd. It's just become second nature. The water is cold around here. And the extra insulation keeps me warm.

On a larger boat, I'm not nearly as likely to put one on.

02-27-2009, 01:53 AM
I wear one now too but honestly I had to learn the hard way.
I had to learn that I don't float like I used to and I need all the help I can get.
I had to get the fat guys PFD because I sank with my old one from the 70's.
Stuff happens.
Happens to me all the time so I need be prepared.

johnw
02-27-2009, 02:02 AM
Hey, glad to see you're enjoying the boat. I like the boom.

Michael Beckman
02-27-2009, 02:06 AM
I've been required to wear one in all the programs I've been in. I just felt comfortable enough to not wear it, given that it was flat calm. I think that, in a boat like this the only way I would fall out would be a capsize. Or from standing up perhaps. I feel no danger while sitting. Of course, I've been known to go kayaking in windy conditions while standing up. Good way to get good balance, just stay close to shore. And pick a nice day. I've never fallen overboard without meaning to though.

Yeadon
02-27-2009, 02:08 AM
Some guys are basically mountain goats who can perch on any little ledge. I have a couple friends like that. Not me. Probably my abnormally high center of gravity.

The boom is way cool.

Michael Beckman
02-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Oof. No ledges. I hate heights. Waters much more friendly.

I like the spars also. I made a thread about cutting them down and stripping the bark off like a year ago. They've been drying in my garage waiting for a purpose ever since. No cracks in any so far either. I'm still trying to decide if I should replace the mast. I have a pole that is just about exactly the right size. Its heavier than this hollow mast, but it would give a better style to the boat I think. And there wouldn't be a fiberglass repair standing out.

The boom bends quite a lot though just pulling on the sheet. I'm a bit worried about what might happen in heavy winds. I'll test it to the limit before going on any long trips.

I think I should finish my oars before getting too nitpicky though.

02-27-2009, 02:28 AM
Oars would be a good first priority.
How old is this boat and what kind of woods were used?

Michael Beckman
02-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Oars would be a good first priority.
How old is this boat and what kind of woods were used?

I really should have written stuff down. I'm pretty sure she was built in 2001, and a mixture of fir and cedar were used. I think my favorite construction style has changed from lapstrake to skin on frame now. Its just such a pleasure to have a 20' boat that two guys can easily pick up and carry. That opens a lot of launching areas that would otherwise be inaccessible. I know of at least 4 dead boat ramps around here that I'll now be able to use.

02-27-2009, 02:45 AM
It's an interesting boat for sure.
There's not many 20 foot boats that 2 people can lift.
It looks roomy and comfortable too.
Your karma must be good.

James McMullen
02-27-2009, 10:42 AM
The frame of Angyapik is made with fir stringers, cedar gunwales and keelson and steambent yellow cedar ribs, all lashed together with tarred nylon seine twine. I used the book Skin Boats of St Lawrence Island by Steven Braund and some advice from Corey Freedman of Anacortes as reference for building details and scantlings. It was a delightful project to build and a pleasure to use. . .and I couldn't be happier to see Michael enjoying her now!

One thing about a too flexible boom--as it flexes in a gust it will put more draft into the sail when you'd rather have less. I'd beef that up and make it stiffer, I think.

Spin_Drift
02-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Very nice Michael...What a fun time you all had.

Great pictures...

I like your Angyapik...

Bob Triggs
03-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Im glad I found this one! Michael, we'll have to start up an annual Port Townsend Pizza Regatta!!! Great to see you on the water!

Michael Beckman
03-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Im glad I found this one! Michael, we'll have to start up an annual Port Townsend Pizza Regatta!!! Great to see you on the water!

That is an excellent idea. The beach next to Waterfront is perfect for a quick raid.

Glen Longino
03-05-2009, 09:07 PM
The frame of Angyapik is made with fir stringers, cedar gunwales and keelson and steambent yellow cedar ribs, all lashed together with tarred nylon seine twine. I used the book Skin Boats of St Lawrence Island by Steven Braund and some advice from Corey Freedman of Anacortes as reference for building details and scantlings. It was a delightful project to build and a pleasure to use. . .and I couldn't be happier to see Michael enjoying her now!

One thing about a too flexible boom--as it flexes in a gust it will put more draft into the sail when you'd rather have less. I'd beef that up and make it stiffer, I think.

James, what is the skin? Thanks!

J. Dillon
03-05-2009, 09:52 PM
It's comforting to me to see young folks enjoying boats so much instead of those off road terrain destroying vehicles common around here. Like the boat ya sail Michael. ;)

JD

paladin
03-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Really nice....makes my day....reminds me of the boats around Kulusuk, Greenland.

johnw
03-05-2009, 10:27 PM
James, what is the skin? Thanks!

With Corey involved, I'd reckon ballistic Nylon. James will know.

Hey, this might be a lighter and cheaper way to build racing dinghies!

James McMullen
03-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Yes, it's some kind of nylon cloth with a urethane coating to waterproof it.

Yeadon
03-06-2009, 03:18 PM
You suppose it's one of the "finished textiles" listed on this page at skinboat.org (http://www.skinboats.org/skinboats/skin_boat_STORE.html)?

Recently, the fellow who owns Zulu built himself a "pramiak." It's a nine foot skinboat pram of various designs. He's also got a dagger board case in it, a batwing sail rig, and a push-pull rudder (no room for the sweep of a traditional rudder). I'll need to take a photo of it sometime ...

Glen Longino
03-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for that link.
I've only built one SOF and it was covered with canvas and three coats of latex house paint. Thinking of building another one.