PDA

View Full Version : No effing way!!! file under gun safety???

Paul Pless
02-23-2009, 08:45 AM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Police said a woman's tightly-woven hair weave saved her life.
Police were called to a Kansas City market at about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Arriving officers found the 20-year-old woman there. She told police she had pulled into the market and saw a man with whom she had recently ended an eight-month relation with inside a car, NewsChannel5 sister station

A second man came up to the womanís window and told her that the ex-boyfriend still loved her, Kansas City police said.
The woman told the second man, "I donít love him."
At that time, the victim heard gunshots and saw her ex-boyfriend walking toward the back of her car firing a handgun, police said.
The victim sped away in her vehicle as her back window shattered, police said.
She returned to the scene a moment later to witness both men leaving in their vehicle.
Officers found a bullet in the womanís hair and said her tightly-woven weave stopped the bullet.
The victim was not harmed.
The ex-boyfriend and the second suspect were both taken into custody a short time later.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

Katherine
02-23-2009, 08:52 AM
I don't wear a weave.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Hair Today, or Gone Tomorrow?

Popeye
02-23-2009, 09:29 AM
she could have dyed

Phillip Allen
02-23-2009, 10:34 AM
hair safety is an oxymoron
(I really wanted to work hair-trigger in there but I'm not up to it just now)

Mrleft8
02-23-2009, 10:42 AM
I TOLD you that Kevlar wig would come in handy some day!

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
That's why I always use a meat cleaver instead of a gun to let my girls know I love them.

http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/images/p-jokes/fav/cleaver-thru-head.jpg

Phillip Allen
02-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Okay, okay...here's the way it works:

all handguns are weak respective to rifles...auto glass is built very strong...the bullets llikely struck the glass at an angle and, though they made it inside the car, were pretty much spent...perhaps bounced around a bit and ended up in her hair (doubtless there was glass in her hair)...that's all...it could even be a racist comment...no one noticed...guess it wasn't in the trainning booklet

Popeye
02-23-2009, 11:46 AM
i would think hair, being a fairly strong tensile fibre , maybe as strong as steel

a 'weave' of hair would be much like a kevlar type material .. capable of stopping bullets (?)

Phillip Allen
02-23-2009, 11:47 AM
i would think hair, being a fairly strong tensile fibre , maybe as strong as steel

a 'weave' of hair would be much like a kevlar type material .. capable of stopping bullets (?)

spent bullets maybe...

Popeye
02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
i see your point about the glass slowing the bullet , but i think the cops would be able to recognize if the bullet was 'stopped' by her hair or simply landed there

Hwyl
02-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Not a parting shot

Phillip Allen
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
i see your point about the glass slowing the bullet , but i think the cops would be able to recognize if the bullet was 'stopped' by her hair or simply landed there

surely you don't hold the police up as a bastion of education and honesty?

I'm thinking the cops involved thought it was a funny story...that's about it

look at it this way...think of an 8 pound sledge hammer moveing fast enough to achieve say 200 foot-pounds of energy...now imagine putting a nice piece of thick foam against your head and hitting that with the hammer...would you notice the impact?

Popeye
02-23-2009, 12:04 PM
sure , my understanding is kevlar vests will bruise

i think its' plausible hair could stop a bullet

Paul Pless
02-23-2009, 12:05 PM
As to Phillip's point. I definitely see where he's coming from regarding the bullet's energy being partially spent. Even if it wasn't significantly slowed by the rear window, it scertainly began to expand and probaby significantly so.

Popeye
02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
jamie and adam ?

Phillip Allen
02-23-2009, 12:13 PM
here's a little experiment you can do yourselves:

set upl some 1X4's or 1X material...pine of fur, and shoot at the with a .22...the bullet will penatrate two or more boards if they are held rigid and with a hand space between

take the same boards and lay them loosely together and the bullet will stop between them

my point is that movies are not very accurate as to what happens and bullets are capable of odd things...maybe her hair stopped the bullet but I doubt it

Popeye
02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
phil , google up aramid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramid) fiber

you know the link between kevlar and organic materials ~ grass ~ hair ?

John B
02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Its certainly a curly one.