PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Jobs for Injuneers......

paladin
02-22-2009, 08:16 PM
I get job openings listed all over the world for ex-pats....they chased me and for years if I was busy I had names to pass so it's a good sized community that was hacked to death during the Carter administration. Now they keep looking for people and the wages haven't moved.....
for today.....
Graduate Electronics/Embedded Software Engineer Wanted
Graduate Electronics/Embedded Software Engineer Industrial Electronics South West Bath Permanent Position 16-28K+Benefits A leading organisation involved with the design and development of industrial electronics control systems actively requires a h...... more >
Permanent up 28K+Benefits Bath
VIEW JOB
21/02/2009 16:05 Electronics Engineer-Military Communications
Electronics Engineer Military Communication Systems West London Permanent Position 30-37K+Benefits A leading organisation involved with the design and development of military communications systems actively requires an experienced electronics enginee...... more >
Permanent Circa 37K+Benefits Oxfordshire
VIEW JOB

someone needs to double or triple the wages to get someone worth having.:rolleyes:

erster
02-22-2009, 08:46 PM
I wonder if the benefits includes feathers?:p:D

Canoez
02-22-2009, 09:08 PM
someone needs to double or triple the wages to get someone worth having.:rolleyes:

For those kind of numbers, you'd have a hard time paying attention. :rolleyes:

- or paying student loans.

George Roberts
02-23-2009, 09:31 AM
There appears to be a surplus of people who qualify for such jobs. That tends to force wages down.

Canoez
02-23-2009, 10:54 AM
There's no surplus. Companies and recruiters are simply bottom-fishing, as they always do.

For the past six months, a local company has been advertising a contract job for which I'm perfectly suited, by way of experience and speciality.... for rates that are lower than a Massachusetts Turnpike toll-taker earns. If there was a surplus, the job would have been snatched up in a week.

Particularly for workers with the skill sets that employers are looking for.

Bizarrely enough, I saw a posting that was specifically looking for a new graduate with an MSME AND and MBA and some un-godly amount of experience with specific tools that started in the mid $40K range. Somebody in HR really thinks it's a buyer's market. :rolleyes:

George Roberts
02-23-2009, 11:55 AM
"For the past six months, a local company has been advertising a contract job for which I'm perfectly suited, by way of experience and speciality.... for rates that are lower than a Massachusetts Turnpike toll-taker earns. If there was a surplus, the job would have been snatched up in a week."

I learned from you that personal experience should never be used to support an argument.

Perhaps the local company you mention has a huge number of positions it would like filled at that rate. They may be hiring 10 people a week at that rate. We don't know.

Tar Devil
02-23-2009, 01:48 PM
US Airways hired several young engineers a week or two before they laid off a number of senior guys.

But it wasn't age discrimination. Absolutely not!

paladin
02-23-2009, 01:55 PM
I get between a half dozen and dozen requests PER WEEK to upgrade a 20 year old resume some of these headhunters still have on file, asking if I'm available for jobs from 90-180 days, usually the most they will pay is $75-$85 an hour plus mileage and per diem...and you have to fight for the per diem. I'm working on a 60 day job right now, with 2 more for 60-90 days as follow ons. It's easier to get work like that than long term employment with all the benefits and I don't have to walk very far to get to work....or coffee....or lunch.......
Another nice thing is that they hire you based on 60 days of work at 8 hours per day and the pay is guaranteed..and if you finish early, you still get paid, and sometimes a small bonus.....although my current project is to work myself out of a job....

Pernicious Atavist
02-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Speaking of overseas jobs...I'm about at wit's end here. Since we're mobile and nothing to keep us high-centered in the States, can you recommend any trustworthy overseas employment sites?

paladin
02-23-2009, 02:44 PM
I have a couple of really tiny little jobs like that now that I may have to learn to program something like the 16F870 micro because the job is so small no one wants it. Doing RF microwave stuff is like twisting two wires together but when it comes to a dozen instruction set micro I'm all thumbs.

epoxyboy
02-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Send it up to me. Not long ago, I did a small job with a 16F684... have the emulator, etc. I've been banging bits on small micros since the very first 8080.

Which compiler are you using Norman ? Due to the number of non confidence inspiring glitches we got HiTech's offering, we changed over to the C30 compiler from Microchip. So far no flaky behaviour, and generally more compact code.
This is on everything from 18F8720's to 24HJ256's and a dsPIC30f part.

Pete

George Roberts
02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
"You may not know, but I certainly do..."

I guess you do.

From your explanation I would deduce that the company in question thinks there is a surplus of qualified people and is offering a wage that it is willing to pay to reduce that surplus. You are free to deduce what you wish.

Captain Intrepid
02-23-2009, 06:54 PM
I just wish people were hiring in my field period. No one around here's hiring deckhands it seems.

epoxyboy
02-24-2009, 05:46 PM
All my work is in assembler, so I can't really comment on compiler efficiencies. I used the Microchip ICDD2 with it's own IDE for assembly, linked to the Keil 'limited' assembler they provide.

I prefer assembler for the kinds of work I do... small, efficient programs where I'm often timing instruction cycles for fast execution. In many cases, the source code can be half the size of a C program version, because there's so much less overhead... but it's admittedly a prejudice of mine. So far, I've only used 16Fxxx parts.

My latest project ( a spec project with an entrepeneur frind of mine) is now on a Silicon Labs part... which is based on an 8051 core. It's got a very simple and efficient in-circuit debugger, runs at 50 MHz, and is in a tiny 4 x 4 mm package. Their IDE is pretty good, although it lacks some niceties like syntax highlighting, and it doesn't offer a display window for SFR's, which is the biggest disadvantage... but I can live with that.

I started out doing a lot of assembler work for 8051's and 16c54's. As a target for C, the 8051 really sucks and will generate impressive bloatware, but I have to say that if you avoid some of the library functions then C code for the PIC's (and Atmel AVR's) is pretty damn efficient - and you really have to work hard to get the assembler as compact. It took me a while to get over that predjudice too, especially given how ornery some compilers can be to get going in the first place!!
I do miss the decent in circuit debuggers you could get for the 8051 though - the ICD2 is not much more than a glorified programmer with some marginally useful debug functions thrown in.

Pete