PDA

View Full Version : Raised floor boards

Bill Mac
02-22-2009, 02:39 PM
I would like to install a raised flooring (removable) in our 16' wood (Lowell Boat Shop) sailboat - about 3/4" above the boat bottom. Essentially to keep gear dry. I have plenty of 4/4 ash that I plan to rip to .375" thickness. Need some suggestions on board width and spacing. Thanks......

rbgarr
02-22-2009, 03:35 PM
You live pretty close to Lowell's Boat Shop. They may have worked out a good approach.

Thorne
02-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Others will probably tell you that ash won't be a good wood for this application, but if that is what you want to use, go for it.

I built mine with aprox. 1/8" gaps between the strips -- wide enough for water to drain through, narrow enough to not catch lines or hardware. Used lumberyard fir for the strips, white oak for the cross-pieces / cleats, red lead for the faying surfaces.

My boat leaks...er...makes water, so the floorboards are probably the wettest pieces of wood in the boat. I found that CPES for the cleats and varnish for the rest works well, easy to recoat when needed. Holes are for my dinghy pump access. Later I glued felt pads onto bottom of cleats to reduce marking the paint on top of bottom planks.

http://www.luckhardt.com/floorboards1.jpg

SMARTINSEN
02-22-2009, 07:11 PM
http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4098

Vinny&Shawn
02-22-2009, 07:43 PM
I would like to install a raised flooring (removable) in our 16' wood (Lowell Boat Shop) sailboat - about 3/4" above the boat bottom. Essentially to keep gear dry. I have plenty of 4/4 ash that I plan to rip to .375" thickness. Need some suggestions on board width and spacing. Thanks......

If that happens to be a Town Class Sloop,then Lowells,as rbgarr has stated, is the place to go they are always helpful with owners of their boats. They might even have a set of floor boards at a reasonable cost.
Having once owned a Townie,if I'm not mistaken the floor boards were pine. Ash is not the proper wet wood for this application. And as stated again,most small lapstrake boats make a little water while working under sail. The sole is not the place for gear. Dry bags or tied to the seats.
Check out the web sight for Town Class.

Bill Mac
03-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and photos - as usual, the forum is a wealth os knowledge.

JC 72
03-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Hey Bill, I have to agree with the others on the ash. Eric Hvalsoe has a cool 14 min video he just uploaded to his web site. He installs his floor system in one of his Hvalsoe 13s. Not exactly your boat, but it contains a lot of applicable info. John p.s. Thanks Eric, now I don't have hound you about how you do it. JC

Eric Hvalsoe
03-03-2009, 10:38 AM
First consult with Lowell's. Go ahead and look at my site http://hvalsoe-boats.com/ My floorboards are assembled from oak frame and cedar plank offcuts. They have wide gaps to work with foot blocks of my own design. They are finished with Teak Oil like the rest of the interior of the boat. They are used to be abused. Here's is a tip - don't paint or varnish the things so that you slip and fall on your arse!