PDA

View Full Version : Seven Years, how am I doing ?

Joe (SoCal)
02-22-2009, 02:01 PM
So this month marks seven (7) years I've been a member of this forum. 25,000 + posts later I've shared some of the up's and downs of my existence on this spinning tilting WWW.

So It might be time for a little mid winter refection, Ive been having a bit of a rough go as of late, but as always I will survive, and move on to a better place. I think its important to plan the next few years cause they may be crucial.

Anyway I figured I would put it out there the good the bad the ugly now's your chance to tell me what you think - and as former Mayor Koch of NYC used to say - "How am I doing ? " :D

Mrleft8
02-22-2009, 02:06 PM
I dunno Joe..... How ARE you doing? You don't answer yer phone very often, and you don't respond to e-mails..... Carter still needs to talk to you about something.....
I'm glad yer hangin' in, but you sure are making life tough for yourself lately.

S/V Laura Ellen
02-22-2009, 02:10 PM
...now's your chance to tell me what you think - and as former Mayor Koch of NYC used to say - "How am I doing ? " :D

Piss poor, but who's complaining. Carry on as before!:D

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL180/9534674/19964075/323532111.jpg

Joe (SoCal)
02-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Not well lefty, in all honesty I'm trying to make a move to a better place cause the current one is not all that pleasant. Some circumstantial and some self inflicted. I'm about 1/5 the man I was when I joined this place. I have the same happy go lucky attitude but its buried and a bit beaten down.

I was thinking about my life when I joined this place and what a long strange trip it's been.

JimD
02-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I was thinking about my life when I joined this place and what a long strange trip it's been.

I joined the day after you did, Joe. Or was it the day before? And yes, its a long strange trip, but it often doesn't seem so long.

Memphis Mike
02-22-2009, 02:20 PM
"So It might be time for a little mid winter refection."

Refections are a "good thing." No?

Ah what the hell. You know I love you Joe. I'm sorry things haven't been that good but they will improve. We all go through rough spots in life.

Joe (SoCal)
02-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks Alan for my new Facebook profile photo :)

S.V. Airlie
02-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Piss poor, but who's complaining. Carry on as before!:D

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL180/9534674/19964075/323532111.jpg

Bloody heck, that's my rum!

Oh yea.. Joe, I think you are doing okay. I don't have a cell phone so I don't have to answer it. Makes life simpler and there are not too many people looking for me either.

seanz
02-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks Alan for my new Facebook profile photo :)

It's a great shot...it perfectly illustrates what a well balanced person you are.
;)
:p

bob winter
02-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Things are bound to improve over time.

S.V. Airlie
02-22-2009, 02:38 PM
It's still my bloody RUM! Should say, it was my BLOODY RUM!:mad:

Katherine
02-22-2009, 02:38 PM
I haven't been here 7 years, but the guy in the stripes behind Joe figures as a pretty important part of my life now days. I really should have warned him about the horizontal stripes though.

Joe (SoCal)
02-22-2009, 02:41 PM
It's still my bloody RUM! Should say, it was my BLOODY RUM!:mad:

Look up the laws of privateering Jamie ;)

Paul Girouard
02-22-2009, 02:45 PM
I really should have warned him about the horizontal stripes though.

So those are suppose to be horizontal strips :confused:eh?

They look sort of ROUND :D to me!

Joe life is sort of a roller coaster, joy , fear , all rolled into one ball. Remember be fluid , not just flexible.

Chris Coose
02-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Fellas take a good look at that photo and transpose to it a concept of a modern day Calvary Hill.

Joe you are in a constant state of ressurection. And so are the rest of the bloody thieves at your side.

johnw
02-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah, well, when you feel like things just can't get any better, they usually don't. If you hang around, life keeps changing. At least now there's room for improvement.

Paul, what sort of fluid should he be? He's tried rum...

Paul Girouard
02-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Paul, what sort of fluid should he be? He's tried rum...

It's a old NAVAIR expression , things on a ship even with a set schedule change frequently . So we where told not to just be flexible , but it be "fluid" , so just about any fluid will do but one that won't freeze, I guess in this case would be better , so rum's as good as any. :D

Memphis Mike
02-22-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm sorry for being such an ass as of late to a couple of ya but I've had my own personal chit going on too..

Joe (SoCal)
02-22-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm sorry for being such an ass as of late to a couple of ya but I've had my own personal chit going on too..

My friendship is stronger than ****e, well most things are stronger than ****e it's kinda a mushy soft kinda substance :D LOL I should know I'm waders deep in it myself. But got to keep the humor about it.

But you get what I mean buddy ;)

Russ Manheimer
02-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Enjoy the ride Joe; the ups and downs and in betweens. Just try to Carpe every Diem and don't sweat the small stuff.

Russ

Chris Coose
02-22-2009, 03:35 PM
There we go Russ
My favorite James Taylor #:

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time
Any fool can do it
There aint nothing to it
Nobody knows how we got to
The top of the hill
But since were on our way down
We might as well enjoy the ride

The secret of love is in opening up your heart
Its okay to feel afraid
But dont let that stand in your way
cause anyone knows that love is the only road
And since were only here for a while
Might as well show some style
Give us a smile

Isnt it a lovely ride
Sliding down
Gliding down
Try not to try too hard
Its just a lovely ride

Now the thing about time is that time
Isnt really real
Its just your point of view
How does it feel for you
Einstein said he could never understand it all
Planets spinning through space
The smile upon your face
Welcome to the human race

Some kind of lovely ride
Ill be sliding down
Ill be gliding down
Try not to try too hard
Its just a lovely ride

Isnt it a lovely ride
Sliding down
Gliding down
Try not to try too hard
Its just a lovely ride

L.W. Baxter
02-22-2009, 03:37 PM
You've been coming off as a wise man these days, Joe. I've found myself appreciating your posts lately despite our past differences.

Tough times reveal our true character. You've taken your blows without lashing out or wallowing in self-pity. That you appear to grow more even-tempered and tolerant here while dealing with personal adversity speaks very well of you. We've certainly seen how ugly it gets when others fail in that regard. Well, that's my two cents, anyway.

Don't let it bring you down
it's only castles burning
find someone who's turning
and you will come around.

--Neil Young

R.I.Singer30
02-22-2009, 04:36 PM
"I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride."
The Greatful Dead

I feel your pain.hang in there ,as the rest of us are.The post from a lot show there are a lot of issues we are dealing with ,so you are not alone.

Lew Barrett
02-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Most of us are doing a bit more soul searching these days, Joe. I hope knowing that is some help. Hard times should reinvigorate our relationships with friends and family and underscore what is really important. I have never sensed a surfeit of humility from Joe Foster, but I have seen a lot of heart and humor, and I think you are a man of the people. Adding some humility before it is added, and you get an even more powerful man out of the deal. This is advice I'd be well to take myself, by the way.

These are times that can and will humble us all. I for one sure feel a bit more naive and naked than I did just a year or two ago.

You're doing fine, Joe; just like the rest of us there are a lot of questions to resolve.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Well, everyonel knows I hate winter, and I am really looking forward to spring this time of year. I joined the forum in Sept or October 2002, Joe and I have seen a lot of folks come and go, and I've watched Joe go from graphics company owner, to waiter, to boat restorer, to real estate, a marriage break up, Tess growing bigger every day, Lucky Dog getting old, and now battling with a far away love, and a desk job, both of which suck in their own ways.

Joe, you're the real deal brother. You always say what you mean, and it's almost always something about truth and standing up straight. I have had my own battles in the same time period, and your struggles and how you deal with them always help me deal with mine. What's the saying? Tough times don't last, tough people do. You sometimes have heavy burdens, but you don't quit. Good on ya.:D:D You will always be welcome in my home, and welcome to call and talk.

Memphis Mike
02-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Well said, Lew.

SMARTINSEN
02-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Joe:

I am a relative newcomer here, though I lurked for a while before I posted.

When I first started reading on this venerable Forum, I stayed pretty much up topsides. Then I fell into the Bilge....

At first I thought that you were just another loud mouthed boor, typical New Yorker. As I have read more, I have come around in my thinking, and now I see that you are a really a pretty good guy overall. And your pictures of sailing on the Hudson make up for any of your shortcomings (if you have any that is:eek:).

None of us are perfect and we all go through our problems. As we age, I think that we tend to become more reflective, and that that is a good thing. It helps to make up for the creaking joints and aches and pains. We also become more tolerant and that is a good thing too for we can better cope with the vicissitudes of life. And I do not think that you have to worry about becoming lazy.

Like I said, overall, a pretty good guy. Hang in there, its only 26 days til the first day of spring.

Here's to a better future, Mrleft8 should buy everyone a round in the Pub.

Nanoose
02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
I've come to be very thankful for the lessons I learn through the hard times...the valuable lessons, that we don't seem to learn any other way. Sure doesn't make the going "through" any easier - sorry Joe - but perhaps remembering there will be good fruit on the other side will help when it gets really tough.

Here's to getting Tidbit back in the water...and all the other good things that are ahead of you...

Blessings on you and yours, Joe -
Deb

Nanoose
02-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Question, oh thoughtful/reflective one....if you had a larger magic wand, what would you change? What would your life look like today?....

Joe (SoCal)
02-22-2009, 10:29 PM
25,000 posts at one minute each amounts to a pretty hefty amount of time. Get a classical guitar and a teacher or a mess of fly tying stuff and next time you feel like posting here work on a little Bach or some Hendricksons for the upcoming trout season on the West Branch of the Delaware. Just don't blow another 17 precious days posting here.

I can't, nor do I ever want to learn how to play guitar or fish. Its never been my kind thing, maybe its yours. I like writing, I like friends, and I like woodenboats all of which I've found here blowing 7 years on this precious forum.

I've sailed with, drank beer, bourbon & rum, played lawn tractor polo, laughed , lived and loved many of you. I have raced beetle cats in Mystic with you. I have lost at shot glass checkers and was allowed to sleep it off on your couches with my smelly dog. I've had you sleep on my couch or show up for a sail on Tidbit. Ive had you fix my tiller for the price of a meal shared with friends. I've sailed through hells gate and into Narraganset bay like a WoodenBoat rock star with you. I've learned about croc's and the true meaning of friendship

In the end I have gotten BACK more from my 25,000 posts than I thought I would ever when I posted them. Thank you, all of you - My Friends for 7 years of being there for me.

capt jake
02-22-2009, 10:43 PM
In the end I have gotten BACK more from my 25,000 posts than I thought when I would ever when I posted them. Thank you, all of you - My Friends for 7 years of being there for me.That sums it up pretty good! :) :) And I mean this is a good way. Always enjoy what you have to say.

seanz
02-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Waste?
I was watching 'Stephen Fry in America' on TV the other night and when he went through UpState New York I was thinking "Cool....I 'know' a guy that lives there". It's all about communication, man, it's all about communication. :)

Besides I have an unsneaky suspicion that Joe is a way better photographer than he is guitar player and an extra 2.4 days practice a year won't change that much.
:D

How much time do I waste here? Probably less if I could type faster and spell betterer.

PAlien
02-22-2009, 10:47 PM
That's a damn nice post. If it means anything coming from a lurker, you seem to be doing just fine. Your values are right on.

Edited to say I'm referring to Joe's last post.

LeeG
02-23-2009, 12:32 AM
I haven't been here 7 years, but the guy in the stripes behind Joe figures as a pretty important part of my life now days. I really should have warned him about the horizontal stripes though.

those are parabolic stripes, not horizontal

Russ Manheimer
02-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Pretty much sums it up Joe. You forgot, however, to mention the physical scars you've received from our boats. Sjogin stills feels terrible.

Russ

Hwyl
02-23-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm one of the people who got to know you on here (when I logged on it was the frozen pipe thread, and I think simultaneously the culvert saga). I now count you as a friend, who I've met and shared a beer with. You know you have a place to stay in Maine as I know I do on the Hudson river. My life is better for knowing you (and many others on here).

LeeG
02-23-2009, 10:51 AM
How the heck do we know how you are? Personally I think you'll be fine once you get one of these:

http://surlybikes.com/crosscheck_comp.html

Mrleft8
02-23-2009, 11:05 AM
When we first met you Joe, you were slingin' steaks at a roadhouse, working double shifts to make ends meet. You had a FG Dyer Dhow, and a Mercedes that needed a whack on the starter with a hammer every so often. Your roof was leaking, your heat worked sporadically, and spring thaw threatened your bridge. You had a pond with a thick coat of mud on the bottom. You had the light of your life, Tess.
Then your luck turned. You got a beautiful wooden boat, which you (with some professional help) restored. Your roof was fixed, your heat was repaired, your pond was dredged, and you got your real estate agent license.Your daughter went sailing with you.
Then your luck turned. You lost the bridge. The pond dried up. The marriage floundered and ultimately disolved. But you still had your daughter, the light of your life.
Your luck will turn again.

Nanoose
02-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Wisdom from the bartender. :)

Chris Coose
02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I recall the last time you floated one of these "How'my doin?" threads the thread caught on fire.

I think it indicates aging all around in the Bilge. (and maybe Dutch is in some kind of self-induced coma)

BrianW
02-23-2009, 02:42 PM
...you'd seen attack ships on fire on the shoulder of Orion.

Funny thing about the shoulder of Orion... it just doesn't look the same close up.

Tar Devil
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Joe, I do count you as friend... hope you consider me likewise.

As a friend I have said this to you before; the times you struggle is when I see the best in you.

When you land on your feet again (and we know you will), please remember.

Phil

BrianW
02-23-2009, 02:48 PM
As long as they're not storing boxes in your cubical, you're doing okay...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/10221_office_space_stapler_with_mil.jpg

Ed Harrow
02-24-2009, 06:46 PM
..."How am I doing ? " :D

Like the girl with the strawberry curl. ;)

BarnacleGrim
02-24-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm new here, but you definitely stood out out from the crowd right from the start! :)

Subscribed to your YouTube channel the other day. Excellent stuff! ;)

Peter Kalshoven
03-05-2009, 03:54 PM
I've sailed with, drank beer, bourbon & rum, played lawn tractor polo, laughed , lived and loved many of you. I have raced beetle cats in Mystic with you. I have lost at shot glass checkers and was allowed to sleep it off on your couches with my smelly dog. I've had you sleep on my couch or show up for a sail on Tidbit. Ive had you fix my tiller for the price of a meal shared with friends. I've sailed through hells gate and into Narraganset bay like a WoodenBoat rock star with you. I've learned about croc's and the true meaning of friendship.

Brother Joe, from where I sit, between what you wrote above, and the love of Miss Tess, you are one rich man.

God bless you, you're doing fine.

Pete

TomF
03-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Funny how some anniversaries creep up and set you thinking, eh?

I give thanks regularly for this place, including your place in it.

Thanks to your presence in the forum, it sounds like you've got berths in a lot of places, should you ever take a road trip. There's another in my house.

t

WX
03-05-2009, 04:37 PM
and what a long strange trip it's been.

That's a line from a song, can't think which one though.

Would be a epitaph....Life, and what a long strange trip it's been.:D

PatCox
03-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Awwww. Mongo straight.

Scott Rosen
03-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Anyway I figured I would put it out there the good the bad the ugly now's your chance to tell me what you think - and as former Mayor Koch of NYC used to say - "How am I doing ? " :D

How are ya doin? Seems like you're the same lovable, cuddly critter as you always were.

I don't know about you, but I hate the winter and always struggle with my mood about this time of year. The fact that the economy is going down the tubes and so many people are getting hammered doesn't help.

Reflection is okay. But sometimes scraping paint on the first spring-like day, or taking that first bike ride of the season, will do more good.

Anyway, if you gotta reflect, then it's much more productive to do your reflecting while you're working on your boat or doing something that you love.

cybulski
04-05-2009, 08:51 AM
wow, sounds like your a little messed up joe, hate to hear it, i try to wish everyone well, hope things are looking up for ya.

Joe (SoCal)
04-05-2009, 08:54 AM
cybulski (http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/member.php?u=23767) http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/statusicon/user_online.gif
john cybulski

John what made you dig this thread up with all of your 24 posts ?

skuthorp
04-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Probably short an inspiration for a troll Joe, Like you're attitude and posts myself.

Joe (SoCal)
04-05-2009, 09:06 AM
FWIW spring has sprung daffodils are beginning to bloom. Worked at the boat club yesterday to get the docks in and work also begins on Tidbit to get her wet for the season. :) I survived the last cuts at my job, many didn't :( I even managed to pull a 129% of quota last month selling in these difficult economic times. And let me tell you something in my business that is the equivalent of climbing Everest in shorts and sandals ;)

Still not 100% satisfied with my life have a long way to go but I'm in the battle for a better life.

cybulski
04-05-2009, 09:07 AM
just curious about you

Joe (SoCal)
04-05-2009, 09:12 AM
just curious about you

Hmmmmmm excuse me if I'm a little skeptical I've experienced that sort of curiosity on this forum before :rolleyes:

I've written about 25,000 posts even some wonderful ones above the bilge, and you chose this one to bring to the top ? :rolleyes:

You wanna know more about me most of it can be seen in this video I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZJdcg6JMA

Mrleft8
04-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Hey Joe..... Has the part arrived ?

skuthorp
04-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Don't feed.............................................. . You know Joe. Probably an old spoiler in sheeps clothing.
And if I'm doing you an injustice Cybulski, well, were just cautious.

cybulski
04-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Well thats the point, if you made it then its more than likely a little bias, i wanted to see and make my own evaluation, i have read plenty, thanks anyway :)

Joe (SoCal)
04-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Hey Joe..... Has the part arrived ?

OMG YES and it is perfect :D. I have to get to work on it, hard with 8-5 M-F job + 2 hr per day commute.

But thank you let me get some photos up in B&R for you to see.

cybulski
04-05-2009, 09:48 AM
couldnt help myself, had to watch it, cool video

Joe (SoCal)
04-05-2009, 09:57 AM
couldnt help myself, had to watch it, cool video

Of course ya couldn't ;)
Ya see even stalkers recognize talent :p. Ever notice how uninteresting people are never stalked ;)

Paul Pless
04-05-2009, 09:59 AM
I've written about 25,000 posts even some wonderful ones above the bilge, and you chose this one to bring to the top ? Is a little weird. Glad you're here and still mostly the same 'Joe'. Love your honesty my man, you've shared a lot more here, that I wouldn't have the balls to have done so. Looking forward to your Tidbit updates. Maybe this'll be the year Kat and I make it down to the Hudson.

Wild Dingo
04-05-2009, 10:10 AM
How much time do I waste here? Probably less if I could type faster and spell betterer.

Now THAT Sean ol mate is near on the biggest pile of dogs poop said here in many a fine year!!! :D

Trouble with bein able to type faster is you just write copiously more posts!!! or longer ones :rolleyes: as to spellin who the hell knows how to spell for cripes sake??? Just write what comes through the ol mushy stuff to the fingas mate... works for me ;)

Joeboy me young brother from another mother... mate life can be an absolute mongrel bitche of a thing as weve both experienced over the years but mate as you know we both as brothers might lay down for a wee while but eventually we both pick ourselves up shrug of the woes and lift our noggins to the horizon and take that big breath an march forward... life goes on mate life just keeps on goin on nothin we can do about it except get up an go with what it offers

A saying Ive taken very much on board of late is this

"If you keep doing what your doing
You'll keep getting what youve got"

In other words:

"If you keep doin the same shyte
You'll keep getting the same crap"

So change what has to be changed do what has to be done and make the changes and do the things to improve YOUR life and stop accepting the crap an shyte that your doing!!

God I love life... came VERY VERY and I do mean VERY close to not being here several times since Jo left but mate reality is its MY BLOODY LIFE and I ALONE make the choices that impact and affect MY LIFE... and by god Im not gonna let ANYONE into my life that first doesnt WANT to be in it and Im damned if I will waste one second of my precious life with someone who doesnt want to share it with me! Ive no time for negatives or people who cant see that life is the LIGHT inside each of us its up to us my brother to turn on the switch of the light and let everyone KNOW without doubt WE ARE ALIVE!! and lovin it :cool:

Cheers... see yer in a few short weeks!!
Shane

Wild Dingo
04-05-2009, 10:13 AM
ooooh and to answer the question since I forgot to :rolleyes:

Your doin bloody famously young fella no wukkers! :cool: