PDA

View Full Version : Obama visits Canada tomorow (Thursday)

JimD
02-18-2009, 09:07 PM
The prez is coming to Ottawa. We are all giddy with anticipation http://www.cbc.ca/news/:

Protectionism poses 'huge risk' to global economy: Harper

Canada ready to challenge U.S. if trade agreements violated, PM tells CNN

Canada will be watching how the United States implements the "Buy American" clause in its stimulus package, because it could quickly send the world economy from recession into depression, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said on Wednesday.
"This is a huge risk to the world right now," Harper told CNN on the eve of President Barack Obama's visit to Ottawa. "There is one thing that could turn a recession into a depression — it is protectionist measures across the world."

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff says he will press U.S. President Barack Obama during their meeting on Thursday in Ottawa for a clear, consistent strategy for Afghanistan

Canada and the United States appear set to take an initial step towards a North American climate-change treaty Thursday during President Barack Obama's visit to Ottawa

Bruce Taylor
02-18-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't think I'll be crossing the McDonald-Cartier bridge tomorrow.

BrianW
02-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Canada is in America. ;)

LeeG
02-18-2009, 09:21 PM
2/3 of the US think he's ok which is better than the number voting him in so hope he doesn't embarass us up there.

Job as President

67% approve
24% disaprove

Obama's handling of the Economy

68% approve
27% disapprove

Will Obama keep America safe?

Yes 66%
No 29%

WX
02-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Well he should feel right at home with you Godless Canadians :D

pila
02-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Don't know about protectionism, but it would be great if we didn't have a trade deficit with so many countries, mostly China I would think. We are usually on the short end of the stick in trade deals.
Some of the steel hardware for my Chevy S10 restoration came from Thialand. Is that part of the foreign aid thing? I like domestic aid better.

Glen Longino
02-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Canada is in America. ;)

I call it Far North Texas.
Mexico is Far South Texas.

Captain Intrepid
02-18-2009, 10:06 PM

You Texans are just jealous of how most of our provinces and territories are bigger than your piddling little state. :P

Captain Intrepid
02-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Some of you Canuuks should apply for a job to be his interpreter. You all seem to speak real good English and I don't think Obama speaks Canadian.

Doug

If you remember our former prime minister Jean Cretien, you'll know that speaking english or french isn't an actual requirement up here.

Keith Wilson
02-18-2009, 11:47 PM
I call it Far North Texas.That's just Alberta.

Glen Longino
02-18-2009, 11:49 PM
That's just Alberta.

The Far Panhandle!

Tinman
02-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Maybe we can just send himn back and spare us all the trouble. I am going to Ottawa tomorrow, and don't need the traffic tie ups. Besides, what is he going to say we haven't already heard? He is your President, you guys keep him.

Nanoose
02-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Now, Tinny, let's be hospitable. The POTUS appears very reconciliatory in nature....that's a good thing. Let's be nice...like Canadians are known to be....whatcha say? Remember, they're known as the aggressors, we're known as the peace keepers...;)

Glen Longino
02-19-2009, 12:09 AM
..."what is he going to say that we haven't already heard?"

He's gping to tell you that you're now part of Far North Texas.
Listen up!

Glen Longino
02-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Now, Tinny, let's be hospitable. The POTUS appears very reconciliatory in nature....that's a good thing. Let's be nice...like Canadians are known to be....whatcha say? Remember, they're known as the aggressors, we're known as the peace keepers...;)

And you're gonna be part of Farthest West Texas!;)

Nanoose
02-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Just saw an article...Canadians think he's sexy! :eek: ;) :)

Tinman
02-19-2009, 12:13 AM
My fellow Canadians are by and large, idiots. they thought Clinton was sexy too.

WX
02-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Texas is just a "little boy compared to Western Australia. :D

Tinman
02-19-2009, 12:18 AM

I guess you don't know much about our militaryhistory. The only reason we are the best peace keepers, is because we are the best soldiers. Just ask the taliban or the Croats, or the Germans, or the Italians, or the Japanese, or..well you get the point.

BrianW
02-19-2009, 12:36 AM

I like...

Canada, it's the United States favorite National Park. ;)

paladin
02-19-2009, 03:42 AM
Maybe it's something with me ears....didna have no trouble in Labrador, Nova Scotia or Newfoundland....Vancouver was like the U.S. only better...a little old fashioned....but Ottawa....couldna unnerstand 85% of the folks there...Mexico was easier....

bob winter
02-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Traffic is going to be a giant mess. Lot of downtown Ottawa closed as well as the Airport Parkway. Glad I am not flying anywhere today. Apparantly the secret service has requested 22 busses from OC Transpo to carry the entourage. Radio says there are 700 reporters which seems a bit more than needed.

I hope he gets back home quickly and safely.

mmd
02-19-2009, 07:42 AM
I see that Tinman is in a particularly complimentary mood. Tin, would you be in such wretched voice if it was a Republican president coming to town?

Popeye
02-19-2009, 08:30 AM
The only reason we are the best peace keepers, is because we are the best soldiers.

somewhat true :D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Hillier)

bob winter
02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
I am very much afraid that Tinman is living in some sort of right wing dream world.

Popeye
02-19-2009, 09:08 AM
I am very much afraid that Tinman is living in some sort of right wing dream world.

nepean ?

yah , i got a crazy aunt who lives there

JimD
02-19-2009, 09:31 AM
And the president is in the air! Just to give an idea of how big a media event this is for us up here the live coverage of the visit has already begun, starting with watching Air Force One take off from Andrews. He lands in Ottawa in one hour. Now the CBC newscasters have to make banter for 60 minutes. Stay tuned...

willmarsh3
02-19-2009, 10:16 AM
I sometimes listen to CBC radio over the internet. I was amazed how much coverage Obama gets up there. From what I have seen so far I think he has a lot of class.

Tinman
02-19-2009, 10:43 AM
I see that Tinman is in a particularly complimentary mood. Tin, would you be in such wretched voice if it was a Republican president coming to town?

Good question. Quite frankly, I understand and appreicate the importance of our relationship with the US. Both from a military and economic perspective. But truth be told, these types of visits are more for show than anything else. Any agreements reached are hammered out long before the big dogs stand before the podium. So for all the fuss and trouble, I don't think it a good use of resources, regardless of who the President is.

One more point. The bit about our military history is a little more than "somewhat true".

Popeye
02-19-2009, 10:52 AM
The bit about our military history is a little more than "somewhat true". i sort of agree

goodbasil
02-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Just watching it. Good not to see Alferd E. Newman stepping out of Air Force One.

JimD
02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
There's quite a bit of snow on the ground in Ottawa and some onlookers, in order to get a better view as the Prez arrives at Parliament Hill, have rolled big snow balls about five or six feet in diameter and are standing and sitting on them to get above the crowd. It doesn't get much more Canadian than that.:D

goodbasil
02-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Good soldiers?
As Romell said, " Give me Canadian soldiers, British officers, Amercian money and German intelligence, and I'll rule the world."

Tinman
02-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I could fill this forum with story after story of Canadian derring do, but I won't. Rommel said it far better than I could.

Tinman
02-19-2009, 12:20 PM
It should be a blue hat with a white maple leaf.

Tinman
02-19-2009, 12:27 PM
I can't help myself. Here is one story about a very well known poem and how it came to be written.

May 1915. The second battle of Ypres is in full swing. Guelph Ontario native Lt. Col. John Mcrae is a Brigade Surgeon with the first Canadian artillery treating wounded in Flanders Belgium. He's already seen how men can be ground up and spat out by the machinery of war during his time in Africa fighting the Boers. Now he does his duty again, treating the hundreds of injured soldiers that pass through his aid station every day.
John is convinced he's living a nightmare as wave after wave of enemy attacks provide him all the work he can handle and more. During the fighting, his friend and former medical student Alex Helmer of Ottawa Ontario is killed. Mcrae attends the funeral and 24 hours later takes paper and pencil in hand, and using the back of a fellow officer as a desk, writes one of the worlds most famous 15 lines of poetry in about 20 minutes. It is published first in England in December of that year. He has no idea what those lines will come to mean to millions of veterans and civilians alike the world over, or how it comes to be used in countless remembrance ceremonies in dozens of countries. The only thing he knows for sure, is that those few simple words capture his heartfelt sorrow at the loss of so many of his friends, and his underlying resolve to see things through. Like millions of others, John does not survive the war, he dies of pneumonia in 1918.

In Flanders fields, the poppies blow, between the crosses row on row, For Lt. Col. John Mcrae. Another Canadian that answers the call.

Hezz
02-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Oh dear, CBC showed footage of some ditzy reporter on CNN commenting on the honour guard of "Canadian troops" meeting Obama's plane. Uhm, those would be members of the RCMP in red serge. How well would that uniform go over in Afganistan???:eek::D

Oh, and this Canadian female does not find Obama sexy...charming, yes, but sexy, no. Those ears kinda don't do it for me! ;)

JimD
02-19-2009, 07:27 PM
... those would be members of the RCMP in red serge. How well would that uniform go over in Afganistan???

I think the British already tried it.

JimD
02-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Obama buys cookies with funny looking money. The cookie vendor insisted they were on the house

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/02/19/obama-cookie-cp-84930743.jpg

And you must be the butler?

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/02/19/shake-cp-w6279781.jpg

Oops, Obama is a lefty (handed, that is)

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/02/19/obama-signs-in-long.jpg

Obama and Harper just wanted to be left alone

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/02/19/hallway-obama-cp-84929343.jpg

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Maybe we can just send himn back and spare us all the trouble. I am going to Ottawa tomorrow, and don't need the traffic tie ups. Besides, what is he going to say we haven't already heard? He is your President, you guys keep him.

Tin Tin was a prize made in the USA that was briefly distributed in a box of Molson Canadian. A lot of Canadians returned the beer complaining about the weird taste he left.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-19-2009, 07:44 PM
I could fill this forum with story after story of Canadian derring do, but I won't. .

The Canadian Derring is well known for it's do.... it is harvested off of beaches in the Ottawa area, and sold for fertilizer. A small flightless bird, It frequently changes it's call, screeching out "Reag--aaaan" and "Dubbb--yaaaa" on regular occasions. It is fond of Tin, and other shiny objects. Although an interesting species, it is thought to be one of the simpler birds.

Tinman
02-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Oh brother

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-19-2009, 07:48 PM
:rolleyes:Speaking of simpletons, I bet you like Stevie Harper too.:rolleyes:

Tinman
02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Peter your attempt to paint everyone who doesn't agree with you as simpletons, is really getting old.

Captain Intrepid
02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Oh dear, CBC showed footage of some ditzy reporter on CNN commenting on the honour guard of "Canadian troops" meeting Obama's plane. Uhm, those would be members of the RCMP in red serge. How well would that uniform go over in Afganistan???:eek::D

It's a little known fact that the RCMP are actually technically a regiment of Dragoons as well as our police force. It's an honour bestowed upon them by King George V for the contribution it's members had made in battle during WWI.

Of course I doubt the reporter even knew what RCMP/GRC stands for, let alone any of it's history.

Tinman
02-19-2009, 08:51 PM
If you want to give me a few reasosn not to like Harper, we can discuss that, but if you are simply feeding some silly desire to feel important, leave me out.

Tinman
02-19-2009, 08:52 PM
It's a little known fact that the RCMP are actually technically a regiment of Dragoons as well as our police force. It's an honour bestowed upon them by King George V for the contribution it's members had made in battle during WWI.

Of course I doubt the reporter even knew what RCMP/GRC stands for, let alone any of it's history.

Without doubt, your assesment is correct.

Bruce Taylor
02-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Maggie and our daughter missed the man by minutes. They were in the ByWard market, but left just before Obama went on his unscheduled walkabout.

They're both kinda bummed out about that. :D

bob winter
02-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Shame, but you have to be at the right place at the right time.

I thought the press conference was good. Refreshing to see two people who can actually speak the languge, and who are both obviously intelligent in one place at the same time.

Captain Intrepid
02-19-2009, 09:47 PM
If only Harper had moral fortitude to go along with his intelligence...

bob winter
02-19-2009, 09:51 PM
And what, pray tell, do you mean by moral fortitude. If you are referring to the prorouging of parliment while back, I would call that a smart move as it turned out.

Captain Intrepid
02-19-2009, 10:58 PM
And what, pray tell, do you mean by moral fortitude. If you are referring to the prorouging of parliment while back, I would call that a smart move as it turned out.

The main thing that gets my goat about Harper is the Chuck Cadman affair. For those not familiar with it, Chuck Cadman is a former Independant Member of Parliment who was dying of cancer. Two days before a budget vote that the Conservatives were hoping would bring down the Liberal government and force an election, two conservatives met with Cadman and tried to gain his support on the vote. They offered him several things, including a membership in the conservative party, a cabinet post, and most importantly, according to his wife, a million dollar insurance policy. 1 (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/02/27/cadman-book.html)This has been backed up by his daughter. 2 (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2008/02/29/cadman-daughter.html) Harper originally denied any offer, then later admitted in a taped interview that there were financial considerations that were offered by legitimate members of the Conservative party of Canada. Specifically he said he didn't know the details, but the financial offer was to replace the financial considerations he might lose if there was an election. 3 (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/02/28/szabo-cadman.html) When the interview was published Harper claimed it was edited, and sued the leader of the Opposition for defamation, the first time in history that's ever happened. Forensic analysis of the tape however, showed it to be unedited. 4 (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/03/03/harper-libel.html) The whole affair just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I don't see any reason to distrust Dona Cadman or her daughter and Chuck Cadman had a well deserved reputation of integrity. It seems to me that Harper didn't know specifically about the life insurance policy initially, but then covered for those who offered the bribe, which is just as bad. It left a really sour taste in my mouth.

Of course, the whole thing with the coalition, and the ridiculous claims that it was undemocratic just left me disgusted. It was taking advantage of the sorry state of Canadian's knowledge of their own government. It was schoolyard politics of the worst kind, whoever can scream the loudest and convince the most people irrespective of truth, wins. While the prorouging of Parliament was the politically correct thing to do, it certainly wasn't the moral thing to do. Parliament had spoken unofficially that it had lost confidence in the government, and the prorouging was a completely self serving power grab.

Thats why I don't like the Tories under Stephen Harper.

seanz
02-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Oh fer the love of.......

I've just heard this visit described by a reporter on the radio as "President Obama's first overseas visit"

Did he go the long way round?

Tinman
02-20-2009, 01:52 AM
The main thing that gets my goat about Harper is the Chuck Cadman affair. For those not familiar with it, Chuck Cadman is a former Independant Member of Parliment who was dying of cancer. Two days before a budget vote that the Conservatives were hoping would bring down the Liberal government and force an election, two conservatives met with Cadman and tried to gain his support on the vote. They offered him several things, including a membership in the conservative party, a cabinet post, and most importantly, according to his wife, a million dollar insurance policy. 1 (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/02/27/cadman-book.html)This has been backed up by his daughter. 2 (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2008/02/29/cadman-daughter.html) Harper originally denied any offer, then later admitted in a taped interview that there were financial considerations that were offered by legitimate members of the Conservative party of Canada. Specifically he said he didn't know the details, but the financial offer was to replace the financial considerations he might lose if there was an election. 3 (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/02/28/szabo-cadman.html) When the interview was published Harper claimed it was edited, and sued the leader of the Opposition for defamation, the first time in history that's ever happened. Forensic analysis of the tape however, showed it to be unedited. 4 (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/03/03/harper-libel.html) The whole affair just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I don't see any reason to distrust Dona Cadman or her daughter and Chuck Cadman had a well deserved reputation of integrity. It seems to me that Harper didn't know specifically about the life insurance policy initially, but then covered for those who offered the bribe, which is just as bad. It left a really sour taste in my mouth.

Of course, the whole thing with the coalition, and the ridiculous claims that it was undemocratic just left me disgusted. It was taking advantage of the sorry state of Canadian's knowledge of their own government. It was schoolyard politics of the worst kind, whoever can scream the loudest and convince the most people irrespective of truth, wins. While the prorouging of Parliament was the politically correct thing to do, it certainly wasn't the moral thing to do. Parliament had spoken unofficially that it had lost confidence in the government, and the prorouging was a completely self serving power grab.

Thats why I don't like the Tories under Stephen Harper.

This is your reason for not voting tory? You had better have voted anything else but liberal then. Otherwise I have amonster big lapel pin with the word stupid printed on it just for you, and one for the other side, that says hypocryte. Please tell me I don't have to pin them on your jacket. And as far as proroging the government was concerned, the oppostion was talking tripe about having lost confidence. There was never any in the first place.

Captain Intrepid
02-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Thats my reason for not liking Harper and his government. Mind you, I don't like any of them. I'll be happy for now so long as the government stays a minority until a real leader shows up. I'm hoping Ignatieff turns out to be decent, but I'm not holding my breath. Oh, and I didn't vote Grit in the last election.

Tinman
02-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Thats my reason for not liking Harper and his government. Mind you, I don't like any of them. I'll be happy for now so long as the government stays a minority until a real leader shows up. I'm hoping Ignatieff turns out to be decent, but I'm not holding my breath. Oh, and I didn't vote Grit in the last election.

Ok fair enough. At least there is a little consistency. Don't hold your breath on Iggy though. He is after all a Liberal in the worst possible modern sense of the word.

JimD
02-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Did he go the long way round?

Its at least 50 or 60 miles from Ottawa to the US border. And he had to fly across a river, if not a sea.

JimD
02-20-2009, 12:00 PM
... They offered him ...a million dollar insurance policy...

I didn't think a life insurance company would provide coverage for a terminal cancer patient. May I assume the premiums were quite high?

JimD
02-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Iggy [ ] is after all a Liberal in the worst possible modern sense of the word.

Pray tell. What is the worst possible modern sense of the word 'Liberal'?

Tinman
02-20-2009, 12:40 PM
The word Liberal, now stand for all the things that old time conservatives stood for.. big business sopecial interests, what is good for us is good for the country etc.. the two words have ben flipped on their heads. In a traditional uderstanidng of the term, I am a liberal, not conservative.

JimD
02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
The word Liberal, now stand for all the things that old time conservatives stood for.. big business sopecial interests, what is good for us is good for the country etc.. the two words have ben flipped on their heads. In a traditional uderstanidng of the term, I am a liberal, not conservative.

Thank you for the clarification. One thing for sure, they don't make 'em like Tommy Douglas anymore.

mmd
02-20-2009, 03:49 PM
"If you want to give me a few reasosn (sic) not to like Harper..." - Tinman

Besides his rise through the arch-conservative, western-centric parties such as The Western Alliance (but I guess you can't fault a person for their upbringing and political leanings in a democratic society), I find his arrogant dismissal of the population he purports to lead offensive. He has been quoted saying to foreign visitors pleasantries such as (from memory, so may not be an exact quote):

"Americans have been accused of not knowing about any country other than their own. Well, that makes them smarter than most Canadians."

Not exactly the kind of statement that rallies the populace around one, is it?

bob winter
02-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Quoted by who?

mmd
02-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Published transcript of a speech he gave a few years ago. I'll get the attribution when I get home.

Captain Intrepid
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
And as far as proroging the government was concerned, the oppostion was talking tripe about having lost confidence. There was never any in the first place.

Sure there was. There was at least one confidence vote that had passed.

mmd
02-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Bob, the speech I attempted to quote was given by Harper in June 1997 in Montreal to visiting members of the secretive USA conservative group, Council for National Policy, when Harper was then Vice President of the National Citizens Coalition. To cherry-pick a few rather telling quotes from the speech, and to properly post what I tried to post from memory above:

"It may not be true, but it's legendary that if you're like all Americans, you know almost nothing except for your own country. Which makes you probably knowlegeable about one more country than most Canadians."

"Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it."

"...the Senate, our upper house, is appointed, also by the Prime Minister, where he puts his buddies, fundraisers and the like. So the Senate also is not very important in our political system."

"The NDP (New Democrat Party) could be described as basically a party of liberal Democrats, but it's actually worse than that... the NDP is kind of proof that the Devil lives and interferes in the affairs of men."

"But there are clergy (in the NDP) who, while very committed to the church, believe that it made a historic error in adopting Christian theology."

"Then there is the Progressive Conservative Party... Now, the term Progressive Conservative will immediately raise suspicions in all of your minds. It should. It's obviously kind of an oxymoron."

"The (political) establishment came down with a constitutional package which they put to a national referendum. The package included distinct society status for Quebec and some other changes, including some that would just horrify you, putting universal Medicare in our constitution, and feminist rights, and a whole bunch of other things."
Not the kind of talk from a man I would like leading my country, regardless of party affiliation.