PDA

View Full Version : Trial and error

steveroo
02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Well I'm a newbie as of yesterday, and after days of following Tenner's fabulous posts, and of course the many minions that refuse to give up the glory of wood, I have some issues with my "new" 1955 Monk. I will be trying to restore her to her former glory and am very lucky to have stumbled onto a boat that has basically had 4 owners since she 1st hit the ol briney. I'm in Portland OR, and have managed to find a slip that has 35' coverage on her 36'6" LOA.
I have sevaral areas that need attention; Deck leaks, window leaks, and a few rotspots (walk around deck areas) I have 38 years experience as a commercial carpenter, and at 56, maybe 4 years at hands on repair, and that Monk is the culmination of a dream I've had since I was 14.I believe that the deckrepair will involve removing the upper rubrail where it interfaces with the overlaid plywood (glass over) deck, particularly where I have rot around the stbd aft cleat..but seeing signs of H2O discoloraton inside on all that marvelous mahogany, I'm thinking that I should start by removing the rail and the corner moulding at the trunk cabin/deck joint, peel up the glass and begin by scarfing plywood pieces in to repair the rotted areas. I haven't seen the extent but some judicious tapping leads me to believe that I only have the area around the cleat that will require deck replacement. Suggestions as to what steps should be taken will be only too welcome, particularly on bedding the deck at the gunwale. Hopefully I'll be successful at pic posting, and also that the senior members will deal gently with my obvious lack of knowledge. Looking fwd to some great interaction and deserved criticism. any help on pic posting will be greatly appreciated as I have no URL for my photos.

Thorne
02-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

You should consider hooking up with the Oregon Coots, several of 'em live nearby and may be able to help you out. They mostly do smaller boats but some get into the larger ones, and they have an active Yahoo group.

http://www.coots.org

Have you gotten a marine survey -- always a good idea on a new boat, and sometimes required to get insurance.

Here’s how to post photos on this forum:

First - don’t attach photos. Most web forums don’t allow it, and space limitations are the main reason why.

Second - Instead of attaching them to a thread, post the pics on the web somewhere. You have a free website area with any paid ISP’s email account, or use www.picturetrail.com or other free hosting service.

Once posted on the web, right-click the image to copy the URL (web address). Always test first by pasting the image URL into the window of a web browser and see if the image displays.

Remember, the IMAGE URL will end in .jpg, not .htm or html. URLs ending in .htm are the page that the image is at, not the image location itself. If the image URL ends in other code, try deleting everything after the “xxxxxx.jpg” part of the URL to get it to display on web forums.

Third - once posted on the web, try this procedure while logged in to this Forum:

1. Click the “User CP” link in the browser window in the top left of the menu bar.

2. Click the “Edit Options” link about 1/4 of the way down the left column.

3. In the “Misc Options” at the bottom of the next page, select “Enhanced Interface” from the pulldown list.

4. Once this interface has been selected, in any “Reply” window you can click the “insert photo” icon --> a little yellow square icon with the stamp in the upper right corner, the mountains in the lower center.

5. Once the little dialog box titled “Please enter the URL of your image” comes up, paste the URL of the photo in the field.

If unsure of the procedure, test first by pasting the image URL into the window of a web browser.

David G
02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Steve,

Welcome from a fellow Portlander, and one of the infamous Coots. Sounds like you found yourself a sweet vessel. I'd love to see it sometime. See your Private Message box for contact info.

Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26186.html) -- Oliver Wendell Holmes
(http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26186.html)

steveroo
02-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanx Guys, Thorne, I'll follow up the link, I already joined the acbs, but it will be a while until I get active, and I've also looked at riverswest, as I plan on building a dinghy, and could utilize available space in their club warehouse to do that. But I kind of like the Old coot idea, as much as I like to think I'm a forward thinkin kinda guy...everyday the old coot in me seems to give me a little nudge.LOL David, thanx for the Welcome. You are certainly welcome to see the old girl at your leisure. I'll give you a call.. As for the survey...Yes, last October. but I must say it was cursory, and pretty much a fill in the blanks affair..I'm glad my money will go for repair and restoration, and didn't go for the survey itself. I should be able to get some pix up tomorrow sometime. fair skies and smooth water....S