PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Holly, RIP...

S.V. Airlie
02-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Today his plane crashed. RIP to him and the others whose lives were cut short and music lost a dreamer or two.

seanz
02-04-2009, 03:06 PM
50 years ago.......
Just for (I hope) interests sake a small note from Wikipedia about the people that didn't get on the plane.

Richardson had developed a case of the flu during the tour and asked one of Holly's bandmates, Waylon Jennings, for his seat on the plane; Jennings agreed to give up the seat. When Holly learned that Jennings wasn't going to fly, he said, "Well, I hope your ol' bus freezes up." Jennings responded, "Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes." This exchange of words, though made in jest at the time, haunted Jennings for the rest of his life.[4][5]
Ritchie Valens had never flown in a small plane before, and asked Holly's remaining bandmate on the plane, Tommy Allsup, for the seat. Tommy said "I'll flip ya for the remaining seat." Contrary to what is seen in biographical movies, that coin toss did not happen at the airport shortly before takeoff, nor did Buddy Holly toss it. The toss happened at the ballroom shortly before departure to the airport, and the coin was tossed by a DJ who was working the concert that night. Valens won a seat on the plane.[4]
Dion DiMucci of Dion & The Belmonts, who was the fourth headline performer on the tour, was approached to join the flight as well; however, the price of $36 was too much. Dion had heard his parents argue for years over the $36 rent for their apartment and could not bring himself to pay an entire month's rent for a short plane ride.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Music_Died

Soundbounder
02-04-2009, 11:20 PM
There is another thread going on Buddy Holly.

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92387

Pugwash
02-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Today his plane crashed.

Ok, now that's just bragging about how little you have to do with modern communication..:rolleyes:

How do you post here? carrier pidgeon?

:)

S.V. Airlie
02-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Ok, now that's just bragging about how little you have to do with modern communication..:rolleyes:

How do you post here? carrier pidgeon?

:)

Well they did a good job in WW1!:eek::eek:

And you are right, I don't pay as much attention to the forum as I used to. Too many newbies who have no concept as to reality muchless what is going on. Guess what category you are in?:rolleyes:

Pugwash
02-05-2009, 12:03 PM
And you are right, I don't pay as much attention to the forum as I used to. Too many newbies who have no concept as to reality muchless what is going on. Guess what category you are in?:rolleyes:

No matter how many times I read it I only can see one category, so I'm guessing, in answer to your question, that it's not the one you describe?

:confused::rolleyes::p

S.V. Airlie
02-05-2009, 02:33 PM
No matter how many times I read it I only can see one category, so I'm guessing, in answer to your question, that it's not the one you describe?

:confused::rolleyes::p

So you suffer from tunnel vision. Sorry about that.