PDA

View Full Version : coal tar expoxy on wood boat bottom?

laissez-faire
08-05-2001, 01:22 PM
i am having my 40' deadrise crab boat being hauled next week, and searching for an alternative method of covering the bottom. i have heard coal tar expoxy applied in two or more coats will solve my seepage. Looking for guidance on feasibility, application, and the best product. Need proposals and expert opinions. the boat is in fresh water on the Ohio River with a great deal of industrial traffic. i stay in all winter, in pittsburgh, pa. Please help soon. Jack

Bob Cleek
08-05-2001, 02:17 PM
Slapping goop on the bottom of a leaky wooden boat is, at best, only a very limited stop-gap measure. The leaking problem needs to be corrected properly. You may wish to consider recaulking where needed. That should solve the problem, unless there are substantial structural problems.

Allen Foote
08-06-2001, 08:00 AM
Coal-tar-epoxy is great for steel. But, being a hard epoxy finish, it will not flex with the working of a wood boat. The finish will fail (crack and break). What exactly are you trying to fix with it? Leakage? Seepage? It's not an antifoulant..its more of a "barrier coat" for steel.

Dale Harvey
08-06-2001, 08:27 AM
Not all products are stiff or brittle, still should be done in two or more layers with some sort of a reinforceing cloth between. Cloth assures minimum coating thickness is maintained and briges gaps over seams to prevent cracking. Would not even consider this without soaking wood to be covered with CPES first, as adhesion will be a problem and peeling sheets of covering tend to foul the prop. A boat done this way will HAVE to be kept dry and well ventilated inside or it will rot at an alarming rate. Again, CPES and red lead paint inside will help, but if wood moisture content stays in the "rot range" it will evaporate. As Bob says, fix what is wrong before thinking of coverings that will cost much money and will have to be removed for proper repairs after they don't work.

Allen Foote
08-07-2001, 03:25 AM
Coal-tar-epoxy is not an epoxy like West Systems or MAS so forget about any laminations with it. The stuff I use is made by Rust-O-leum corp. Check out thier web site for product info. Where is the water comming in at?

TomRobb
08-07-2001, 12:15 PM
What do you do about the ice in the winter?

laissez-faire
08-19-2001, 03:53 PM
just normal seepage. a few coats of good paint might solve it, but looking for something to hold a few years longer. thanks for input and advice. apparently coal tar is not good. i'll research rustloeum. again ... gracias. j
Originally posted by Allen Foote:
Coal-tar-epoxy is not an epoxy like West Systems or MAS so forget about any laminations with it. The stuff I use is made by Rust-O-leum corp. Check out thier web site for product info. Where is the water comming in at?

laissez-faire
08-19-2001, 03:54 PM
hope it will melt before it gets here. last winter bad, but not dangerous to boat. j
Originally posted by TomRobb:
What do you do about the ice in the winter?