PDA

View Full Version : Sailors Journal

Red
02-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Was wondering if anyone knew of a good book with Sailor/Passenger first hand accounts from back in the 18th and 19th centuries for a book report.

thanks

George Ray
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
The Last Grain Race:

From amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Last-Grain-Race-Eric-Newby/dp/0864427689

In 1938 an eighteen-year-old boy signed on for the round trip from Europe to Australia in the last commercial sailing fleet to make that formidable journey. The four-masted barque Moshulu ended up as a dockside restaurant in Philadelphia; the young apprentice went on to become one of the greatest travel writers of this century. The Last Grain Race is Eric Newby's spell-binding account of his time spent on the Moshulu's last voyage in the Australian grain trade.

As always, Eric Newby's sharp eye for detail captures the hardships, danger, squabbles, companionship and sheer joy of shipboard life - bedbugs, ferocious storms, eccentric Finnish crew and all. By pure chance, Eric witnessed the passing of the era of sail, and his tale is all the more significant for being the last of its kind.

Bill R
02-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Joshua Slocum, Sailing Alone Around the World, originally published in 1900.

A classic.

He described his departure in the following manner:
"I had resolved on a voyage around the world, and as the wind on the morning of April 24, 1895 was fair, at noon I weighed anchor, set sail, and filled away from Boston, where the Spray had been moored snugly all winter. The twelve o'clock whistles were blowing just as the sloop shot ahead under full sail. A short board was made up the harbor on the port tack, then coming about she stood to seaward, with her boom well off to port, and swung past the ferries with lively heels. A photographer on the outer pier of East Boston got a picture of her as she swept by, her flag at the peak throwing her folds clear. A thrilling pulse beat high in me. My step was light on deck in the crisp air. I felt there could be no turning back, and that I was engaging in an adventure the meaning of which I thoroughly understood."

Chris Coose
02-02-2009, 03:45 PM
"Two Years Before the Mast". A must.
Just about finished with: "Over the Edge of the World" 16th century, Magellan's trip.