PDA

View Full Version : The best of times

cs
02-02-2009, 02:02 PM
at least when she is not mad at me. :rolleyes:

Late in the evening after Mom has gone to bed and the kid and I sit in the living room watching TV, surfing the net or playing Wii. In these short couple of hours before she heads off to bed we take the time to discuss the really important things.

Things like

The CIA assassination of Bob Marley

A Trip to the Moon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbGd_240ynk)

Dreams of going to Vanderbilt, cheering at Vanderbilt, curing AIDS and winning the Noble Peace Prize.

How stupid some teachers are.

How brilliant some teachers are.

Areas to avoid are:

Why can't I drive to cheerleading practice

Mission trip to Africa

Private school

But these times, when the world is at peace and the kid is not mad at me, these are the good times.

Chad

Bill R
02-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Yup. Got daughters. I understand fully.

hokiefan
02-02-2009, 04:27 PM
This weekend, my daughter and I went up to Atlanta for an interview she had. Just the two us for a little over 24 hours, 8 of which were spent in the car. We had a great time, lots of good conversation, limited rolling of the eyes.:D I hope we get the chance to do it again.

You are right Chad, these times are really, really good. We're lucky to have them occasionally.

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
02-02-2009, 07:07 PM
When all of the kids were home for Christmas this year we were all piled up in the tiny 'living room' of our cabin watching television, three daughters, the wife and I, three dumb dogs, and Lord knows how many cats (the son in law was at HIS parents). All in a big bundle, watching the 'Christmas from Westminster' dvd or something that we all used to like when they were smaller. One of them asked me 'dad, when were you happiest?'. I got a big catch in my throat and I had to sit for a second before answering 'when you guys were small and we would just sit, just like this, all together. That's when I was happiest'. Everyone sat quietly for a second when my middle daughter, in almost a whisper said 'me too, dad. Me too'.

Special times, Chad. Very special.

Mickey Lake

cs
02-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Yep these are the best of times, at least when she isn't mad at me. :)

Chad

Keith Wilson
02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Yep these are the best of times, at least when she isn't mad at me.Ain't it the truth? And it does get better in some respects. My daughter is now 22. She raised holy hell in high school; if all she had done was roll her eyes and act snotty I would have been very grateful. Things were pretty rough for a couple of years. But lately she's grown up - she's reasonable, civil, interesting, funny, interested in talking to us, grateful for our help, actually listens to advice (she doesn't always take it, but that's to her credit, I think). Sometimes I can hardly believe it.