PDA

View Full Version : Table manners?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-02-2009, 09:10 AM
I found this and thought of you:

Firstly I am definitely not a red wine snob, but I do like my wine if possible at the correct temperature.

Have I performed the ultimate red wine faux pas?

Why have I not seen this done ever before? Why have I not done this before? Where was my inspiration? I guess I don't know and don't care to be honest.

Last night the only bottle I could find was well below room temp, and I couldn't be bothered to wait for it to warm, so in a moment of pure genius put a glass of wine in the microwave, 1 revolution and the temperature was just right, perfect,.

But why then did I wake up in cold sweat with an image of Oz Clarke and Jilly Goolden turning me away from the pearly gates? has this moment of red wine genius sent me on a certain path to hell where all wine is corked and fish dont grow bigger than 3oz.

Has anyone else ever done this or will I be on my own in red wine hell? (some reassurance please)

Paul Pless
02-02-2009, 10:29 AM
A Committee of penniless undergraduates shuddered..

"I like cheap wine and plenty of it!" said Roy, "Don't you?" "Three bottles of the house red, please!" :DClassic!

Kaa
02-02-2009, 11:49 AM
OMG! Allowing the soul of wine to be contaminated by microwaves!! :D

Kaa

downthecreek
02-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Classic!

And classy - on the part of the excellent Mr. Jenkins.

Tragically, though, a taste for really good red wine (which is often, although by no means always, also really expensive red wine) is not necessarily a matter of snobbery. Sometimes really good red wine is just that - really good. Something to be sipped, savoured and remembered as a rare and luxurious treat.

I can still remember the bottle that first alerted me to the possibility that wine might be something special. I was in my mid teens and alcohol was consumed in our house only on special occasions. This one was a Christmas when my paternal grandmother had mysteriously acquired and brought along a bottle of a reasonably aged Chateau Margeaux from a fine vintage. I was invited to try it, expected to hate it, and will never forget it. The seeds of my downfall were sown......

Kaa
02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Oh, there's definitely good wine, bad wine, mediocre wine, excellent wine, etc. etc. There's some relationship to price, but no direct correlation according to my taste buds. If you avoid the very cheapest stuff (which is a good idea in general) there's enough to explore and enjoy without going broke.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to hold for port. Good vintage port is very clearly different from all the rubys, tawnys, LBVs, etc. etc. and is not cheap.

Kaa