PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was strange. . .

Katherine
02-01-2009, 05:06 PM
The chandelier in my house just fell. :eek: The hook it's been hanging from for 5+ years just bent. It did hang over a table in the front entry to my house. Sultan, one of my cats, loves to lay on the table directly under the lamp. Fortunately all humans and animals were no where near it when it fell. :(:) The roommate and I are also REALLY glad all the glass and bulbs in it didn't shatter and that only a few of the glass panes came out of their frames.

jack grebe
02-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Glad no one was hurt.........

BTW, that wasn't put there by Paul......was it??????

boylesboats
02-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Wow,
It just a matter of time for the hook(s) to fail...

Stiletto
02-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Glad to hear no one was swinging from it at the time.

The Bigfella
02-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I think maybe someone has been swinging from it....

Spin_Drift
02-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Wow, you were lucky. (Including animals) It would have been horrible to have anyone get injured or worse. :(

My Mother had a huge crystal chandler in her living room fall/break off the hook in the ceiling a few years ago.
It fell across the coffee table and the couch. Luckily she nor her cat was under it when it fell.

Hope you get it fixed with super heavy duty hook.

MiddleAgesMan
02-01-2009, 07:05 PM
I have one of those giant Fanimation dual fans hanging over my living room. My son and I put it up in place of the tacky cheap "chandelier" that came with the house. I have been a little concerned about it falling ever since we installed it. It runs 24/7 and has a very small amount of sway--I figure it might work itself out somewhere down the road but I'm keeping fingers crossed.

The cat doesn't sleep under it and neither do I. :)

Memphis Mike
02-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Yeah, me too Kate. I'm glad your cat wasn't hurt.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
02-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to play with power tools.

Mad Scientist
02-03-2009, 07:05 PM
The chandelier in my house just fell. :eek: The hook it's been hanging from for 5+ years just bent. It did hang over a table in the front entry to my house. Sultan, one of my cats, loves to lay on the table directly under the lamp. Fortunately all humans and animals were no where near it when it fell...

...My Mother had a huge crystal chandler in her living room fall/break off the hook in the ceiling a few years ago.
It fell across the coffee table and the couch. Luckily she nor her cat was under it when it fell...

...Rebecca and I were sitting reading one evening when the kitchen shelving unit over the sink decided to come down...

FWIW/IMHO, the mounting hardware supplied with products such as these should go straight into the garbage can!
I suspect that manufacturers are afraid that supplying proper mounting hardware might deter prospective buyers.

For a chandelier, attachment to the ceiling joists is required. Hardware stores sell the appropriate brackets. This means making a small hole in the ceiling, but they make 'medallions' to cover the hole.

Shelving units on a wall need to be attached solidly to the wall studs. Hefty screws into the studs, not little screws into those useless little expanding plastic thingies that go into a hole in the drywall.

And, while we're on the subject, a word about paintings...if you have a professionally-framed piece of artwork, make sure that your hanger goes into a stud. A nail in the drywall just won't work, at least not for long.

An investment in a stud finder could well prevent an expensive accident later.

Tom

Phillip Allen
02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
it seems to have been your big chance to make a classic sardonic statement...:)

TimH
02-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Sounds to me like you have poltergeists

capt jake
02-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Sounds to me like you have poltergeists

And here I thought she was engineering a better mouse trap. :) Glad nobody got hurt!