PDA

View Full Version : About amplifiers, solar fire and others

Henning 4148
02-01-2009, 04:25 PM
The amplifier of our stereo had been playing up for some time. It would work fine and then suddenly, a hard bang and everything gone, not even the lights of the thing working anymore. Some time later it would be fine again. It's been a pain in the bum for a few months now. Anyway, SWMBO suggested on Saturday that we buy a new one - couldn't believe my ears, normally, it is rather difficult to get her into a store for electronics. But I didn't want to give up on my old amplifier that easily - after all, it's been with me for approx. 25 years, it doesn't have a lot of power but has a nice sound, an old Onkyo, 2 x 25 W.

So - when it went "bang" again, after disconnecting, I opened it and went error chasing with the Ohm-meter. Quite surprisingly, I found something very fast, it turned out, that the main fuse in its holder had developed a dodgy contact. A very dodgy contact. With black spark-marks and everything. Wiggle a bit here and it would connect, wiggle a bit there and the connection went completely - although the spring still touched the fuse - but on the black spark marks.

A bit of cleaning and tightening the contact springs later and we seem to be going full steam ahead again. I'm really glad, I wouldn't even have known which brands are good today. As a student, I knew such stuff, but today? ;-)

Now, what about the Solar fire? Oh, yes. The plumber finally connected our solar collector to the central heating. On pressurizing up the first time, there was a leak, but this is fixed and everything should be working - if only there was a bit of sun. It's clouds everywhere. The problem with alternative energy - availability. You still need the back up.

Others - a few hours in the garden, sorting old scrap wood, pulling nails from it, thinking about how to build a table from it. Visiting people. Narrowly avoiding a crash on the motorway - the other car hadn't seen us and pulled out when we were just pulling up beside him. Full brakes, horn, he stopped pulling out as we were falling back behind him again, all in all we missed him by something like - I don't know, 10 inches or 5 inches or less. Could have been very nasty at the speed of a bit up of 70 mph. Haven't looked for paint marks ... If we had connected, he might well have spun into the center barrier, taking us along with him. For the first impact. Than, very often, it's over to the other side. Either another barrier, or shrubs and trees, or a ditch. All the time hoping that the following traffic can avoid you ...

Life ain't bad.

Memphis Mike
02-01-2009, 04:35 PM
cool.

pipefitter
02-01-2009, 04:52 PM
My amp had the same issue. The clips were damaged from the heat from arcing so I just soldered in an inline fuse holder and it's been fine ever since.

paladin
02-01-2009, 08:06 PM
My Sansui and Kenwood systems have been running since I came back from Vietnam...the Akai tape recorder was still working perfectly when I gave it to my nephew, with the spares kit that I bought....they are large systems for their day, but if I get a boat I'll have to get a new small size system.

Captain Blight
02-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Marantz, baby, Marantz. In all its Quadrophonic goodness.
Turntable by DUAL, tandberg reel-to-reel, a Marantz CD player and a Nakamichi cassette deck.

Paradigm speakers.

I can't peel the paint on the wall but I can hear the guitar chords hit the undulations in the paint on the wall! Absolutely fantastic sound. Don't know how I'd go about replacing it. Unfortunately my TT is on the fritz right now but I don't really need to listen to vinyl.