PDA

View Full Version : Power and might...

Tar Devil
01-30-2009, 10:17 AM
... we're about to see!

(CNN) -- Mount Redoubt, the Alaskan volcano expected to erupt at any time, is getting a bit more edgy.

The Alaska Volcano Observatory said in a statement Friday "volcanic tremor" has increased in "amplitude."

The activity on the 10,197-foot peak is "more energetic than that of the previous several days. However, it is still less vigorous than that observed last weekend," the observatory said.

Peter Cervelli, a research geophysicist with the observatory, told CNN that "every indication is that we're heading toward an eruption."

Cervelli said scientists don't know exactly when it will happen, but if it does happen, it could be days or weeks -- or even hours.

"I would not be surprised to see it erupt at anytime," Cervelli said. "We're going to know it when we see it."

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/TECH/science/01/30/alaska.volcano/art.redoubt.mudflow.usgs.jpg

John of Phoenix
01-30-2009, 10:23 AM
"We're going to know it when we see it."

Kind of an understatement about a volcanic eruption. :D

Spin_Drift
01-30-2009, 12:31 PM
We live about a hundred miles from Mount Redoubt. When it erupted in 1989 it spew ash quite far away including Homer.

I was on the road to the Al-Can highway when Spurr erupted in -92. Not a cloud in the sky, but it was so full of ashes it was reddish brow as the sun was trying to shine thru.

Couple of inches of ashes covered the ground and the gas pumps on the road. We used my pantyhose (doubled up) to cover the air intake. I don't remember seeing anyone else on the road. Maybe others didn't know about the pantyhose trick...

I gathered couple of empty soda bottles worth of the Mt. Spurr's ashes. Got some ashed from the 1989 Mt. Redoubt eruption too. They are labeled with name of the volcano and time of the eruption and where the ashes were collected from.

Here is an interesting article about those two of the many local volcanoes.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hcWJaxwgurm_TV9AVcObQBWbS25QD961D1MO0