PDA

View Full Version : Strike!

seanz
01-30-2009, 05:33 AM
There is a thread on the strike in France and it occured to me to ask.......how many of our formites can talk with any real authority on strikes.

tattooed john
01-30-2009, 06:16 AM
Solidarity Brothers!

P.L.Lenihan
01-30-2009, 06:27 AM
I was "on strike" only once,in so much that the wonderful place of my employement had one of their 4 unions go on strike which of course rippled throughout the joint affecting all of us,unionized or not. Speaking with those on strike revealed that it was costing them losses not easily recoverable,even if their demands got met and the union was offering them pennies on the dollar of"strike pay" plus all the coffee and donuts they could shove down their gullet for each day they presented themselves on the picket line.Gazing at the lines of picketers, it was also clear that their union had brought in some rather seedy looking characters for moral and intimidation purposes.All in all a complete waste of resources for all involved over here as we have a government labour board which oversees unfair labour practices and where I work is a government run operation to boot.........a hospital!

Peter

shamus
01-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Several times. Always at about thursday lunchtime with a good weather forecast. Those were the days! I have atoned by being self employed for most of the last 30 years/.

The Bigfella
01-30-2009, 07:44 AM
I narrowly averted a journo's strike when the owner decided to replace their desks (with desks that were 1" taller).

I noticed they were muttering among themselves - we are talking a group of 6 figure salary journos btw - and I asked them what their problem was.

They told me they didn't want the taller desks.

I said....OK.... no worries, no desk changes - keep your old comfortable, worn desks.

Strike averted.

Duhh.

Rigadog
01-30-2009, 08:12 AM
I work for the union 'cause she's so good to me;
And I'm bound to come out on top,
that's where I should be.
I will hear ev'ry word the boss may say,
For he's the one who hands me down my pay.
Looks like this time I'm gonna get to stay,
I'm a union man, now, all the way....

The smell of the leaves,
from the magnolia trees in the meadow,
King Harvest has surely come.

"Long enough I've been up on Skid Row
And it's plain to see, I've nothin to show.
I'm glad to pay those union dues,
Just don't judge me by my shoes...

...Then there comes a man with a paper and a pen
Tellin' us our hard times are about to end.
And then, if they don't give us what we like
He said, "Men, that's when you gotta go on strike."

"King Harvest" - The Band

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Been there, done that. 1970.
The strike lasted almost 3 months. The hang up was The "Cost of Living Allowance" provision that tied our wages to the COL Index figures published by the government. The UAW had given up COLA on a previous contract and found they had made a bad bargin.
Was it worth it? You bet it was. The high wages earned in UAW shops was mostly due to the COLA benefit. The COL went up every quarter. Of course, if the COL had gone down money would have been taken away.
The fact that wages followed the Cost of Living Index allowed the UAW to get away from constant wage demands and negotiate other benefits like, better medical coverage, dental coverage, perscription medication coverage and eye care.
I let others picket. I picked up 6 credit hours toward my degree.
A good time was had by all.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-30-2009, 10:46 PM
I come from West Virginia coal miners.
Had a front row seat for the shipyard workers, steel workers and I was in the Auto Worker's union in Lorain,Ohio.
I know a little bout goin on Strike.
More than I wanted to.

Bob Adams
01-30-2009, 10:52 PM
I come from West Virginia coal miners.
Had a front row seat for the shipyard workers, steel workers and I was in the Auto Worker's union in Lorain,Ohio.
I know a little bout goin on Strike.
More than I wanted to.

Man, did you build my Thunderbird??? It was built in Lorain.

Was on strike once, long ago. Never made back what we lost in wages, I don't think.

01-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Started building T-birds in 76 and quit in 79.
Worked on mostly Econoline Vans after that 97 to 2007.
Drove a truck inbetween.

Bob Adams
01-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Started building T-birds in 76 and quit in 79.
Worked on mostly Econoline Vans after that 97 to 2007.
Drove a truck inbetween.

Well, you did build one I used to have, a 1978. I currently have a 95, over 200,000 miles and a damn good car.

01-30-2009, 11:08 PM
I had a 1978 T-bird, robin egg blue.
Nicest ride I ever had, but wasn't the greatest in snow.
I also drove my sisters 85 for a while.
My 78 had the 302 V-8.

Duncan Gibbs
01-31-2009, 02:22 AM
Sigh....

Maybe there should be a poll about how it is almost one in ten threads in the Bilge end up being about cars? :rolleyes:

WX
01-31-2009, 05:45 AM
Part Of The Union

(G)Now, I'm a Union man, a(Amin)mazed at what I am,
I'll (C)say what I (G)think, that the (Amin)company (G)stinks,
Yes, (D)I'm a (C)Union (G)man.
Well, we meet in the local hall, I'll be voting with them all.
With a hell of a shout it's, "Out Brothers, Out".
And the rise of the factories, fall.
(G)Oh, you won't get me, I'm part of the Union,
You (D)won't get me, I'm (G)part of the Union,
You (G)won't get me, I'm part of the Union,
(C)'Til the (G)day I (Amin)die,
(C)'Til the (D)day I (G)die.
As a union man, I'm wise, to the lies of the company spies.
And I don't get fooled by the factory rules,
'Cause I always read between the lines.
And I always get my way, if I strike for higher pay.
When I show my card, at the Scotland Yard,
This is what I'll say.
Oh, you won't get me, I'm part of the Union,
You won't get me, I'm part of the Union,
'Til the day I die,
'Til the day I die.
Before the Unions did appear, my life wasn't half as clear.
Now I've got the power, for the working hour,
And every other day of the year.
So, though I'm a working man, I can ruin the government's plans.
I'm not too hard, but the sight of my card
Makes me some kind of Superman.
Oh, you won't get me, I'm part of the Union,
'Til the day I die,
'Til the day I die.

bamamick
01-31-2009, 09:08 AM
When I was about 21 years old the boilermakers went on strike where I worked. I wasn't in the union but my best friend at the time was president. Alabama is a right to work state, which means that you can't force someone to join a union if they don't want to, and at this place I worked only about 60% of the workforce was in it. I was just a kid and my dad was never in a union, and I didn't see any benefit to it.

Well, they went out over a wage increase. Stayed out three months and then came back for less than what was originally offered. In the meantime a bunch of the guys crossed because they were losing houses, cars, etc. There was some violence and a lot of ill will. Then when they came back it was to find that we had lost a whole lot of work because we were a contract-based company and no one would deal with us with the workers on strike. In the end they laid off from 300 down to about 30 guys. I was in the last bunch of guys to get laid off. As far as I know they are doing fine now (a few months later I moved to the company I am with now and have been there 26 years) and they have never had another workers strike. I still have friends who work there and they still talk about that strike.

It was a lot more complicated than what I just wrote but I am in a bit of a hurry to get down to the boats this morning. For the last 18 years I have been in management, and over that time unionization of my workers has come up a time or two. They have even gone so far as to have meetings with union reps but it never has happened. The reason why? In my opinion, it's because the guys who want to lead this thing are not people who the other guys really respect. It's the ones who want to get out of work. Who object to every little thing. As always, if they had a strong leader it would probably go over, but it seems that the strong ones don't need or want a union.

Anyway, gotta go.

Mickey Lake