PDA

View Full Version : DC on a lark

JMAC
01-29-2009, 07:59 PM
When I cancelled a flight when my Mom was on her way out, I got a credit from Delta. It expires on Feb 10th. I just booked a flight to DC to check out the National Portrait Gallery and whatever else I can squeeze in the short time I have there. I'm needing to do this on the cheap, so can one of you give me the inside on getting from the Reagan National airport to my hotel downtown the cheapest, fastest way? ...and any other must see places near the national mall....

LeeG
01-29-2009, 08:10 PM
take the metro at the airport to the station nearest your hotel,,might cost $2.

You GOTTA go to the native American museum for lunch. Gotta.

LeeG
01-29-2009, 08:35 PM
only if he goes to the cafeteria at the native American museum.

George Jung
01-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Chuck owns the place? You (and I) wish! Probably get a WBF discount and personal tour!

I can't believe I haven't made it to DC yet - how many days you gonna be there? Anything less than, what, five? would be too short. I'd hit every one of the Smithsonian museums, maybe even camp out there (you'll need a special permit from Chuck). Seems to me there's some interesting Govt. buildings there, too. Maybe contact your Congressman about getting some tickets/tours etc. Perhaps someone in the know can comment, I'd be interested in historical sites of interest in the area, 'places to stay', and 'eateries'. Good trip!

Uncle Duke
01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
I live here (well, just outside, but...)
National Airport (only outsiders call it "Reagan") is on the Metro line - great way to get into town. Don't do anything else. American Indian museum is great and should be seen, but the best food (among museums) is at Air and Space. If you have lots of time, take the shuttle out to the "Udavr-Hazy Center", which is about 15 miles outside of DC, but is a great museum for aircraft stuff. Magnificent.
George is exactly correct - 5 days would be barely enough to see all the Smithsonian stuff. All free - you've already paid through your taxes. Do it.
Feel free to PM me for any info you need. Or to say when you're going to be in town. Or whatever... <Grin!>

JMAC
01-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Truth be known, this is going to be the world's shortest trip... I'm going to get into the downtown and ready to hit the streets at noon and am catching a 6:00 pm flight out the next day. I visited in 2000 and saw all the usual sights. The guard at the Washington memorial checked out my two knives then showed me his....ah the good old days. The WWII memorial wasn't up yet, I'll check that out on an early morning walk. I've got a room that is really close to the mall.

Also, I heard on the news that they were looking to spend many millions to get grass replanted on the National Mall. I had noticed the shabby condition in 2000, but...I also remember some city council member in NYC a while back saying there shouldn't be any mass gatherings in Central park because it would ruin the grass. I'd rather see weeds and crowds than an empty sea of perfect green.