PDA

View Full Version : I hate thieves

rddrappo
01-29-2009, 02:21 AM
I've been working on a buddy's house for a couple months now, and it's a good neihborhood, real quiet and safe. I got used to leaving a workshop set up on his back patio, since it's got a roof. I got to work this morning, and my toolbelt was gone. All the power tools and a box full of expensive hand tools was untouched, but my framing rig is gone! I hate all thieves with a passion, and wish death upon anyone who steals a man's tools. Just venting.:mad:

Captain Blight
01-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Why don't they just take the food off your kids' plate. That's low, very low. Condolences.

Michael Beckman
01-29-2009, 02:28 AM
Leave the stuff out and wait for them to return.

rddrappo
01-29-2009, 02:34 AM
Leave the stuff out and wait for them to return.

I thought about that, but the homeowner says I can't. He's a good friend, and happens to be the fire chief here. Doesn't need a guy beat to death in his back yard. Looks bad to the public. I gotta say, someone has balls stealing out of the chief's yard.

Blight, that's about how I feel. I don't have kids, but still. I lost about $300 in gear, plus the money I'm out because I was too mad to get anything done today. Plus having to drive an hour to the nearest hardware store to replace my tools. I tell ya, since I moved here, it's been one thing after another.

Spin_Drift
01-29-2009, 04:52 AM
So very sorry. You are an honest person so the thought of someone stealing your tools didn't enter your mind. Now you've spent $600 for the $300 gear.

Maybe you can talk your friend into using some tools as bait and just catch the thief, not beat him up. That would look good for him.

As it is, -the thief is free to keep on stealing.

About the thief... Could he be a neighbor or an acquaintance? You know, someone who knew that you had the tools there?

Just a thought...

Bill R
01-29-2009, 07:30 AM
My sympathies.

Thieves are among the lowest of the low. Tool thieves are the worst of the lot.

Rigadog
01-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Sorry to hear that. Only been robbed once, it pisses one off.

My brother-in-law recently came to do some work on his little house an hour north of Pittsburgh, the one they used to live in but have rented since he got transferred to Texas. His tenant vanished w/o paying rent because a strip mining company's blasting had caved in the well. When my brother-in-law arrived and flipped the light switch - nothing, and when he tried to get a glass of water - nothing... The thieves (or his past tenant) had taken all things copper. Cops told him Meth addicts probably got it, and that drug addiction was a common thing nowadays in this rural area.

It gave me an image of a Norman Rockwell painting of these quaint, scarecrow-like "country folk", red-faced, hacksawing the pipes and yanking the wiring by candelight. The title would be "Copperminers" .... You find humor where you can nowadays.

willmarsh3
01-29-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this. It is most frustrating. I got my house broken into once. They stole the computer, tv and bike. I don't know for sure who did it but like Spin I wonder if it was someone I knew at the time. I'm just a bit more careful who I let in my house now.

rddrappo
01-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Spin, I thought about it, but it's really a small town, and not many people knew I had tools there. I actually spent 3 hours yesterday searching the house, my own house and my storage unit, thinking I may have misplaced it, just because it seemed so odd to take only the tool belt. My friend mentioned it to the police chief, he's going to have the area patrolled a little better. Most of the crimes in this town are teenagers doing petty things like setting garbage cans on fire and stealing stuff out of cars. Maybe someone liked my hammer, who knows? I doubt the person will be caught, and I put all my tools away yesterday. If the house gets messed with again, I'll be camping out waiting for someone. Oh well, my faith in mankind has gone down another notch.

BarnacleGrim
01-29-2009, 11:14 AM
You could practice sharia law, provided you still have your circular saw ;)

rddrappo
01-29-2009, 11:28 AM
You could practice sharia law, provided you still have your circular saw ;)

I'd use a dull, rusty knife. :eek:

Honestly, I'm not big on violence or harsh long term punishment. I'd really rather catch a thief, beat them half to death, and send them on their way. Sending them to jail gives them a criminal record, makes it harder to find a good job later, and they get stuck being thieves. A beating heals, the lesson remains, and they still have a chance to turn their life around if they decide to. Probably not the most politically correct rationale, but I really hate to see people end up in jail. Doesn't usually do them any good.

S.V. Airlie
01-29-2009, 11:45 AM
You obviously don't own a boat. The Marine industry is full of them. More than those in the field who are not...and yes, there are a few. Granted, hard to find except on the WBF.

Nanoose
01-29-2009, 11:51 AM
The worst thing stolen in our experience was the wooden rocking horse Dave lovingly made for our first born. We understood the stuff of "commercial" value, but why that rocking horse? Broke our hearts....and my parents, as the stuff was stored in their barn. He's currently gearing up to replace the horse, 20 years later....

rddrappo
01-29-2009, 11:53 AM
You obviously don't own a boat. The Marine industry is full of them. More than those in the field who are not...and yes, there are a few. Granted, hard to find except on the WBF.

Yeah, and at this rate I won't own a boat. Last night I was thinking of the things I could've done with the money I lost, and it's enough to buy the cedar to strip plank a small boat. Or I could have paid my cable bill, cell bill and electric bill for the month.;) Well, I'm off to work now. See y'all this evening. Gotta go try to recoup some of that money.

BarnacleGrim
01-29-2009, 02:06 PM
I'd use a dull, rusty knife. :eek:

Honestly, I'm not big on violence or harsh long term punishment. I'd really rather catch a thief, beat them half to death, and send them on their way. Sending them to jail gives them a criminal record, makes it harder to find a good job later, and they get stuck being thieves. A beating heals, the lesson remains, and they still have a chance to turn their life around if they decide to. Probably not the most politically correct rationale, but I really hate to see people end up in jail. Doesn't usually do them any good.
Yeah, the justice system needs a good rethinking. Jails may be good for keeping violent criminals away from the public, but it's basically a training camp for the crooks. Maybe we need to send them to joycamp and have them rectified instead. And as much as I'd like to see some people get a public caning, corporal punishment is probably pretty counter-productive. Cutting the hands off thieves may have been an effective preventive measure, but we're not barbarians any more.

Gary E
01-29-2009, 02:29 PM
I knew a fellow that renovated buildings, mostly strip mall stores and a few Philly row houses in the 1970's. He could not buy copper and install it fast enough didnt matter if it was pipe or wire, what ever he put in from 8:00 to 5:00 was gone by the next morning. So, he hired a nightwatchman with a BIG dog... that's when it stopped.

gert
01-29-2009, 03:32 PM
My shop got busted into about 4 years ago, they took about 5k worth of power tools. It was my own fault. I have used a light gage hasp with a big padlock for 30 years with out issue. These lowlifes look on us as game; we have stuff they don't; they are only "harvesting". If we help them by making it easy who are we to complain.

My shop is now bullet proof.

An aside;

I didn't file an insurance claim because I had just switched insurance provider.

I had a compression fitting fail under the tub upstairs several years ago; probably about 7k damage. My insurance provider of 30 years had a crew on site an hour after I called, and did a very nice job (to my spec), particularly on the ceiling. 6 months later my wife lost her wedding rings. 3 months after that my camera got stolen from my truck. I asked the insurer if it was wise to put in a claim on the camera considering the 2 previous. He said it was up to me but he didn't see a problem....

The following year they refused to renew, two weeks before expiration of the policy. This is illegal and I informed them of this fact. But I could not get any one else to provide coverage; they all asked the same question "how many claims in the last 5 years?" The total claims was 5 in 30 years, but this is irrelevant.

Anyway they renewed at almost double the previous year. Each year they renewed at a 20% increase over previous. After 5 years of this (no claims) I expected my rate would go back to normal. But it didn't. In the sixth year I got a new agent; I told him my whole history. They came up with a policy that was only slightly higher than my original, and identical coverage. I showed the new policy to the original agent, he shrugged.

ishmael
01-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I've never had a major theft of goods. Knock wood. An occasional small tool would walk off a job site that had people working who I didn't know. But I have a sister in law who was providing care for my mother, on a stipend. No personal care, we hired a nurse for that, but stupidly left the sister in law in charge of a credit card. She's a thief. Nothing huge, my mother didn't have a lot of money. To steal from a woman in her dotage is low, really low. All I got was a terse letter of apology, with no admission of guilt, undoubtedly on the advise of their lawyer. "Sorry for the problems with your mother's estate."

I've never reconciled with them. The only thievery I can kinda understand is if you are hungry and steal food, particularly if there are children in the picture. Taking tools is stealing a man's livelihood. Akin to stealing a cowboy's horse.

David G
01-29-2009, 05:21 PM
A long while back. I was on a tight budget, just starting out in the woodworking business. No alarm system, no insurance. I was broken into twice. The first, I concluded, was a previously trusted friend being sloppy with a key. The second, they hit me hard, and I lost many thousands of dollars of stuff I could ill-afford. Afterward, I decided I couldn't afford NOT to have good insurance... and an alarm system.

The thieves were pretty sharp. I never did figure out for sure how they got in, but they left a false trail. Before they left, they unlocked an office window to make it appear that I'd left it unlocked. They left an overturned garbage can below the window to make it appear that they'd climbed in that way. I almost bought the unlocked window deal. It was a window that I never opened, and always kept locked, but just that day, my wife had opened it to pass some tools to me while I was outside on a ladder hanging signage. I was certain I'd relocked it, but the evidence was clear. My bad, I thought.

Then a sharp cop told me that that picture was inconsistent with the slickness of the rest of the thieves work. He said they left me something easy to fix so I wouldn't look for the real way in. Then in a few months, after I'd had time to replace the tools, they'd be back. I asked my wife, and she said that - after I'd left that day - she'd also double checked the window. It was locked. I began to suspect the trap door that led to the crawl space, but couldn't prove it. Then, sure enough, 5 months or so later, I got a midnite phone call from the alarm company. The cops met me there, but there was no sign of entry, except that trap door looked like it might possibly have been disturbed. I never had any more problems. I guess they didn't like the alarm going off. Easier pickings elsewhere.

I have to say, though, that I fantasized mightily about rigging a live trap, and... well, the options were many. What I settled on was having a bit of a "discussion" with the weasels before turning them over to the cops. It certainly could have been accomplished. A lawyer friend convinced me that I really didn't want to complicate my life with all the ways that scenario could possibly go wrong. He was right, of course, but the Redneck in me damnedsure was tempted.

Rum_Pirate
01-29-2009, 05:59 PM
I knew a fellow that renovated buildings, mostly strip mall stores and a few Philly row houses in the 1970's. He could not buy copper and install it fast enough didnt matter if it was pipe or wire, what ever he put in from 8:00 to 5:00 was gone by the next morning. So, he hired a nightwatchman with a BIG dog... that's when it stopped. There was a building site In Trinidad where lots of materials were disappearing overnight. The Contractor let two alsations loose in the compound with razor wire topped fencing.
Next morning the dogs were gone.

rddrappo
01-29-2009, 08:16 PM
My shop got busted into about 4 years ago, they took about 5k worth of power tools. It was my own fault. I have used a light gage hasp with a big padlock for 30 years with out issue. These lowlifes look on us as game; we have stuff they don't; they are only "harvesting". If we help them by making it easy who are we to complain.

Sorry, but I have never agreed with that statement, and never will. Theft is wrong. It's not your fault if you get ripped off. Sure, common sense dictates that we be careful, but honestly, we shouldn't have to be. I'm not a delusional nutjob who believes life should be perfect, but I do believe people should be able to leave stuff in their yard or house or vehicle without some bastard stealing it. As Ishmael said, stealing tools is akin to stealing a cowboy's horse. That used to be punishable by a tall tree and a short rope. It made others think twice before doing it. Death is a harsh punishment, but someone else here mentioned a public flogging. I tell ya, a good beating and maybe a scar to remember it by, and you can bet there would be a lot less career criminals.

Anyway, I was able to get back to work today, and all in all, I had a good day. I'm not gonna let some petty thief ruin my whole week. Tomorrow is the GF's bday, and we're partying tonight, tomorrow night and Saturday night. Y'all have fun, I'll check in tomorrow. :cool: