PDA

View Full Version : Ice Storm

Vince Brennan
01-28-2009, 10:41 PM
How about a sound-off from those in the path of the ice storm?

I'm gone again, but I got concerned about "Sir Splash" (Phillip).

Toodles!

LeeG
01-28-2009, 10:49 PM
wait,,but you're back, you can't be gone.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Just like Kane on "Kung Fu", he vanishes.

Rigadog
01-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Here's the skinny from the Burgh - we got ice here; it's on the wires, the trees, the roads, in the martini shakers... A very serious situation made worse by a massive raid on the salt supplies by the annual "Margarita Blend-off" at the Hyatt. But on a bright note, the Steelers are going to the Superbowl .

boylesboats
01-29-2009, 08:55 AM
storm been hittin' southern part of Missouri, knockin' thousands without power
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2009/01/28/winter-storm-leaves-thousands-without-power-southern-missouri/

24hacker
01-29-2009, 08:57 AM
My youngest son lives in Louisville - he called yesterday - said the electricity will be out 7 - 10 days -

David W Pratt
01-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Not too bad here, but very slick patches that froze overnight.

huisjen
01-29-2009, 09:31 AM
It really missed us here. We got around six inches of snow with a good crust on top. This morning it's sunny and almost up to freezing. I'll spread more ashes on the driveway to help it melt.

Dan

Chris Coose
01-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Went quickly from snow to rain at coastal Maine so no ice damage. We're kinda used to it. Got cold overnight and turned the wash and snowbanks hard.
I hate to hear the plows go by at 1AM knowing I shall wake to hard shoveling at the end of the urban driveways (I got two entries to pick at) as I did this AM.

This could be the best ski weekend of the season.

huisjen
01-29-2009, 09:38 AM
The plow guy got to it before we did this morning.

Dan

boylesboats
01-29-2009, 09:38 AM
I wish that I could invest in a 4 passengers Snowcat....

moTthediesel
01-29-2009, 10:06 AM
My sincere condolences to all those effected --

We were hit by the big '98 storm in Northern NY and were 29 days without power in January.

Wouldn't wish it on anyone, but you learn to adapt. We disconnected the little 1.5 gallon tank on our generator and put 2 six gallon OMC outboard tanks on saw horses next to it. That helped, but we sure got tired of listening to that thing!

I did notice that it was no big deal for our Amish neighbors!

moT

Tom Montgomery
01-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Well... No power again. For the second time in 5 months. A bit colder now than it was in September. Last time I went without for 7 days. It has now been 27 hours and counting. The state says it may be a week before all power is restored. Ugh.

Mad Scientist
01-29-2009, 02:03 PM
This one passed (mostly) north of Nova Scotia, so we got a bit of snow and lots of rain. Right now (Thurs P.M.) it's about -3C (26F?) with bright sunshine helping to melt ice on roads and sidewalks.
Given that the Maritimes and New England seem to have been spared this time, we can assume that repair crews from various power companies hereabouts are heading south, even as I type this...bundle up; they'll work as fast as they can to re-establish service.
And, Spring is less than 2 months away!

Tom

Tom Montgomery
01-29-2009, 02:34 PM
What a mess!

Hurricane Ike in september took out a lot of diseased, defective, and insect infested trees and limbs. But once the storm passed the weather was beautiful. Still, it was 7 days before power was restored to my place.

This ice storm has brought down healthy limbs. It is heartbreaking to see all the damaged trees. And it is not over. Limbs continue to snap and bring down power lines. Every gust of wind breaks off more limbs. My block has a transmission line down and the service to my house was taken out. The utilities are saying it could be 7 to 10 days before power is restored to everyone.

The good news is that neighborhoods with few mature trees have suffered. The least damage. Most commercial strips are OK and powered up. So it is possible to go out and get a hot meal in a warm place and charge up the iPhone.

Ugh. This may end up being worse than Hurricane Ike.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-29-2009, 02:36 PM
All snow here, another foot of snow to go with the foot already on the ground.
More snow predicted for today and tomorrow.
Power's still on.

Tom Montgomery
01-29-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm from Vermilion, Ohio so you know I am used to snow and cold. But this is ridiculous. We had about 4" of sleet followed by about 3/4 inch of ice followed by about 3" of snow. The ice was the killer.

It has been overcast all day with a high temp of about 26 degrees F.

George Roberts
01-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Every year there are ice storms like this one. For the most part people seem to survive.

(We had ice hear last Christmas. We lost a few trees.)

Tom Montgomery
01-29-2009, 03:18 PM
The Governor says this is the second largest power outage in the history of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. September was the largest. There is no denying this is a significant and extremely costly event.

StevenBauer
01-29-2009, 03:23 PM
I thought those fancy iPhones took pictures. :rolleyes:

Here are a couple from my phone's camera, we had a little dusting here, too:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2009%20pics/01-29-09_1316.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2009%20pics/01-29-09_1326.jpg

:D

Steven

Canoez
01-29-2009, 03:28 PM
I thought those fancy iPhones took pictures. :rolleyes:

Here are a couple from my phone's camera, we had a little dusting here, too:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2009%20pics/01-29-09_1316.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2009%20pics/01-29-09_1326.jpg

:D

Steven

Boy. If THAT's a dusting, I'd hate to see what you consider real snow.

ishmael
01-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Where I live now I've never lost electric for more than about a day, but I lived in a hill town in MA before this place, and it went there once for a good week. I had a wood stove, plenty of dry wood, kero lamps, water from a spring within shouting distance, so it was survivable -- if no fun. The worst part was no hot water without hauling and heating it on the stove. Hence sponge baths for a week. Funny, the small luxuries one comes to like. I had close-by neighbors who shared the driveway and parking area, and when the power guys finally showed up we were all out front cheering and clapping. :) I imagine it wasn't the first time they'd heard it that day! A good storm, be it a lot of wind, ice, or heavy snow, can make you realize just how fragile much we take for granted is.

My auxiliary heat now is a 10,000BTU kero heater. If the power went out in this weather(zero F. tonight), and stayed out for an extended period, I'd have to abandon ship.

P.S. It looks, from Steven's pics, that Portland got a few more inches than Bangor. The brunt of the storm passed South of here.

Hey, January is almost over. Best to all those affected by this last storm.

Tom Montgomery
01-29-2009, 04:32 PM
They now say it is the largest power outage in Commonwealth history. They are also predicting 20 mph winds tonight. Oh oh....

24hacker
01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
My son in Louisville got his electricity back in 1 day - hope more do too