PDA

View Full Version : Fox News moving in on Onions territory?

Michael Beckman
01-27-2009, 11:25 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,483477,00.html

Still worried that the Large Hadron Collider will create a black hole that will destroy the Earth when it's finally switched on this summer?

Um, well, you may have a point.

Three physicists have reexamined the math surrounding the creation of microscopic black holes in the Switzerland-based LHC, the world's largest particle collider, and determined that they won't simply evaporate in a millisecond as had previously been predicted.

Rather, Roberto Casadio of the University of Bologna in Italy and Sergio Fabi and Benjamin Harms of the University of Alabama say mini black holes could exist for much longer — perhaps even more than a second, a relative eternity in particle colliders, where most objects decay much faster.

Under such long-lived conditions, it becomes a race between how fast a black hole can decay — and how fast it can gobble up matter to grow bigger and prevent itself from decaying.

Casadio, Fabi and Harms think the black hole would lose out, and pass through the Earth or out of the atmosphere before it got to be a problem.

"We conclude that ... the growth of black holes to catastrophic size does not seem possible. Nonetheless, it remains true that the expected decay times are much longer (and possibly >> 1 second) than is typically predicted by other models," the three state in a brief paper posted at the scientific discussion Web site ArXiv.org.

FoxNews.com can think of a few other things that didn't seem possible once — the theory of continental drift, the fact that rocks fall from the sky, the notion that the Earth revolves around the sun, the idea that scientists could be horribly wrong.

We're also wondering how often the LHC might create individual black holes, since longer-lived ones have a greater chance of merging with each other, and, um, well, see ya.

If the worst comes to pass, and there's now a slightly greater chance that it might, at least it might explain why we've never heard from extraterrestrial civilizations: Maybe they built Large Hadron Colliders of their own.

Such mastery of the English language, combined with stunning insight into the nature of science. Who could think of even criticizing Fox with incredible stories like this?

John of Phoenix
01-27-2009, 11:45 PM
I hear they're doing a documentary on how black holes destroyed Atlantis. ;)

Michael Beckman
01-27-2009, 11:55 PM
", and, um, well, see ya."

My favorite bit.

Plumbtex
01-28-2009, 01:07 AM
I read once, don't remember where or know the accuracy of the article or my memory, that when the first atomic bomb was detonated, one of the possible scenarios was a chain reaction that would ignite the entire atmosphere. They figured it was a long shot , so went ahead with the test.

RonW
01-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Three physicists have reexamined the math surrounding the creation of microscopic black holes in the Switzerland-based LHC

Well I guess everybody has to figure out a way to make a buck, and maybe the global warming buck has fallen into a blackhole.

L.W. Baxter
01-28-2009, 01:18 AM
That's nothing compared to the documentary Fox made a couple years back "investigating" the possibility that the moon landings were faked. Really, pretty entertaining.

JimD
01-28-2009, 01:24 AM
All the same, what a Vonnegut-esque ending to the human race - sucked into a black hole of its own making. It would make a good book or movie. There could be just enough time to announce the impending end of the world, and then we could all just have a few minutes waiting for that big sucking sound, as Ross Perot might have called it. Then sluuuuurp. And its all over.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3c/Flushing_toilet.jpg/502px-Flushing_toilet.jpg

Plumbtex
01-28-2009, 01:47 AM
Jeez! Flushing entire planets!? Do you realize how hard it will be to clear that stoppage?

Shang
01-28-2009, 07:46 AM
David Brin, who is a top notch physicist and one of my favorite sci-fi writers wrote a book about this, Earth. If the possibility exists of a black hole being created and lasting long enough to escape by sinking into the earth, gaining mass as it sinks and perhaps oscillating back and forth sort of "gobbling up" the center of the planet, the possibility is not something to be scoffed at.

David Brin does have the right credentials to express his opinions on science. The problem is with Fox News, the KnowNothings and the DittoHeads who grinned with the Bush administration’s ignorant decisions made while suppressing scientific opinion.
I imagine that Dr. Brin (Ph.D., Space Science, U.C. San Diego) chooses to present his views in the form of science fiction in order to do an end-run around the witch-burners.

Nobel Prize Winners Cite the Bush War on Science in Supporting Obama
Scott Swenson, October 30, 2008
"Seventy-six American Nobel Prize winners endorsed Barack Obama in a letter citing the anti-science policies of the Bush Administration:"

“During the administration of George W. Bush, vital parts of our country's scientific enterprise have been damaged by stagnant or declining federal support. The government's scientific advisory process has been distorted by political considerations. As a result, our once dominant position in the scientific world has been shaken and our prosperity has been placed at risk.*We have lost time critical for the development of new ways to provide energy, treat disease, reverse climate change, strengthen our security, and improve our economy."
http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2008/10/30/nobel-prize-winners-cite-bush-war-science-supporting-obama

John of Phoenix
01-28-2009, 10:09 AM
The Bush War on Science
They were winning that one too.

Rigadog
01-28-2009, 10:17 AM
I hope it will be quick and painless.

Rigadog
01-28-2009, 10:20 AM
David Brin, who is a top notch physicist and one of my favorite sci-fi writers wrote a book about this, Earth. If the possibility exists of a black hole being created and lasting long enough to escape by sinking into the earth, gaining mass as it sinks and perhaps oscillating back and forth sort of "gobbling up" the center of the planet, the possibility is not something to be scoffed at.

In "Journey to the Center of the Earth" some Europeans trekked there and found it to be hollow, fairly hospitable except that parts were filled with dangerous animals like dinosaurs. A black hole might do some good as it will suck them up and thus make it safer for people.