PDA

View Full Version : Good analogy for the Presidential election...

RodB
01-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I thought this election held in a grammar school to be pretty poinant considering the past election...

What a childish way at looking at such a serious subject!!

Ice Cream & The Election

From a teacher in the Nashville area.

Who worries about "the cow" when it is all about the "Ice Cream?

The most eye-opening civics lesson I ever had was while teaching third grade this year.
The presidential election was heating up and some of the children showed an interest.
I decided we would have an election for a class president.

We would choose our nominees. They would make a campaign speech and the class would vote.
To simplify the process, candidates were nominated by other class members.
We discussed what kinds of characteristics these students should have.
We got many nominations and from those, Jamie and Olivia were picked to run for the top spot.
The class had done a great job in their selections.

Both candidates were good kids. I thought Jamie might have an advantage because he got
lots of parental support. I had never seen Olivia's mother.

The day arrived when they were to make their speeches Jamie went first.
He had specific ideas about how to make our class a better place. He ended
by promising to do his very best.

Everyone applauded. He sat down and Olivia came to the podium. Her speech was concise.
She said, "If you will vote for me, I will give you ice cream." She sat down.

The class went wild. "Yes! Yes! We want ice cream." She surely could say more. She did not have to.

A discussion followed. How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? She wasn't sure.
Would her parents buy it or would the class pay for it? She didn't know.
The class really didn't care. All they were thinking about was ice cream.

Jamie was forgotten.

Olivia won by a landslide.

Every time Barack Obama opened his mouth he offered ice cream and fifty-two percent of the people
reacted like nine year olds. They want ice cream.

The other forty-eight percent of us know we're going to have to feed the cow and clean up the mess.

Duncan Gibbs
01-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Either trolling or utterly delusory.

JimD
01-27-2009, 06:49 PM

RodB trolling or delusional? Now what ever gave you that idea, mate?

Duncan Gibbs
01-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Aw... I dunno!! :D

PeterSibley
01-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Definitely 3rd grade , he wants Cheney back .

Vince Brennan
01-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Thank you, Rod, for your penetrating analysis.

http://www.frayedknotarts.com/images/Forum/jackass.jpg

Last I looked, your repugnicans were the ones bitching about the "new concept" in stimulating the economy, holding out for the same old tired "cut the taxes....everything will work out ..." crap of the last eight years.

Bush is gone. Live with it.

Yeadon
01-27-2009, 07:13 PM
The only ice cream I want is the ice cream of justice.

Michael Beckman
01-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Can I have a milkshake instead?

MiddleAgesMan
01-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Bush may have been a cow but the milk he gave wasn't fit to drink.

Find a better analogy.

skuthorp
01-27-2009, 07:37 PM
You don't have much time for the average American voter do you, maybe you think that they are too ignorant to have the vote and it should be taken away so that people who know what to do, like you perhaps can decide for them?

botebum
01-27-2009, 07:46 PM
I was gonna' laugh till I remembered that it's not nice to laugh at retards. Judging from your chosen title I'm assuming you are a retard.

Doug

LeeG
01-27-2009, 08:02 PM
yeah, this bit of fluff has been going around for awhile. The background on Olivia and Jamies parents was a bit different on the version I read.

basically make up a story,,and that's reality. Worked for the neocons and faithbasers, reality is secondary.

ljb5
01-27-2009, 08:09 PM
That's funny, but you left out the rest of the story:

The kids already had the ice cream. They bought and paid for it with their own money, just like they did every Friday. But they never got to eat it before because Jamie's best friend was the school bully who beat up all the kids and stole their ice cream. Jamie was pregnant by a highschool drop out, and was addicted to prescription pain meds she stole from the school. She had a twin sister in the class, who she never talked to because she was secretly jealous that she was prettier than her. She owned seven ponies and always bragged to the other third graders about how rich she was, but she never let the other kids play with them. Turns out her dad bought the ponies for her after stealing money from all of their parents. Jamie also said she wanted to declare war on both the second and the fourth grades. Olivia was the smartest kid in the class, everyone liked her and she edited the school news paper. Jamie was the class clown and was ranked 895th out of 896 kids in the class.

:rolleyes:

LeeG
01-27-2009, 08:14 PM
I should find the variation I read,the details of Jamie and Olivias parents explained it,,I think Jamie had gay parents and Olivias had a single hetero dad as a parent.

Rigadog
01-27-2009, 08:17 PM
That's funny, but you left out the rest of the story:

The kids already had the ice cream. They bought and paid for it with their own money, just like they did every Friday. But they never got to eat it before because Jamie's best friend was the school bully who beat up all the kids and stole their ice cream.
Jamie was pregnant by a highschool drop out, and was addicted to prescription pain meds she stole from the school.
She had a twin sister in the class, who she never talked to because she was secretly jealous that she was prettier than her.
She owned seven ponies and always bragged to the other third graders about how rich she was, but she never let the other kids play with them.
Turns out her dad bought the ponies for her after stealing money from all of their parents.
Jamie also said she wanted to declare war on both the second and the fourth grades.
Olivia was the smartest kid in the class, everyone liked her and she edited the school news paper.
Jamie was the class clown and was ranked 895th out of 896 kids in the class.

Are you two dating?

Tom Montgomery
01-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Jaysus... Still weeping over Obama's election. What a wuss.

ljb5
01-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Nobody liked Jamie because all she ever talked about was fighting. She said she was the best fighter in the class and that if she was president, everyone was going to fight all the time.

There were only two problems with that: none of the other kids liked fighting and nobody could remember when Jamie had ever won a fight.

RodB
01-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Lighten up folks... , lets leave G. Bush out of the comments... he was not running .... So it was McCain and Obama.. and Obama promised the most ice cream. Now, many on this forum that voted for Obama have strong opinions on many different issues, and obviously do their homework to backup their opinions. .. but you have to admit their sure where bunches and I mean bunches of folks that voted for Obama...and just thought they would get more ice cream...

Satire in an analogy is funny when there is a significant amount of truth involved... IMHO...

R

Glen Longino
01-27-2009, 09:07 PM
"Obama promised the most ice cream."

No, he didn't! Not at all!

Yeadon
01-27-2009, 09:12 PM
If McCain said it once, he said it a million times ... "My friends, I know how to make ice cream."

RodB
01-27-2009, 09:14 PM
If McCain said it once, he said it a million times ... "My friends, I know how to make ice cream."

He certainly promised a few things... but Obama promised a lot more.

R

LeeG
01-27-2009, 09:16 PM
RodB,,I gather you wish McCain was in?

ljb5
01-27-2009, 09:24 PM
You're just mad because my post was funnier than yours. :)

...but you have to admit their sure where bunches and I mean bunches of folks that voted for Obama...and just thought they would get more ice cream...

On a serious note, Rod.... McCain lost the election because he didn't know what this election was about.

It's obvious that you also don't know what this election was about.

In the midst of an economic crisis, he didn't know what to do, but rushed in (as fools do) to grab the spotlight. In the midst of an unpopular war, his only thought was to keep pressing forward. His choice of Palin was seen as erratic and crassly political (chosen to appeal to a particular group of voters, rather than for her ability to be president). His multi-multi-millionaire lifestyle (and fractured family) stood in poor contrast to "That One," who he labeld (without a hint of irony) as "elitist."

His only note of personal appeal was his POW years -- a sacrifice so profound that we were stunned and ashamed to see it used -- first as a political crutch -- and later as a political battering ram.

This election was about many things, but the metaphorical ice cream was not one of them.

The main reason McCain lost the election is because people didn't want him to be their leader. Promises of freebies had nothing to do with it.

seanz
01-27-2009, 10:10 PM
The only ice cream I want is the ice cream of justice.

Served in the cone of truth.
Dipped in the chocolate of hope.
Sprinkled with the nuts of change.

Don't forget your paper napkin of responsibility.

:p:p:p

seafox
01-27-2009, 10:23 PM
to bad bush governed like a democrat and mecain would not have been much different. actually I wish huckabee were president and his first order would have been to close the IRS not club getmo.
jeff

RodB
01-27-2009, 10:23 PM
The main reason McCain lost the election is because people didn't want him to be their leader. Promises of freebies had nothing to do with it.

Seriously... I agree with the first.. not the second. Obama did a much better job of selling the masses with the idea he had a better grasp of what the problems were and how to find solutions. Several of his proposals are bad for the country, and most conservatives feel the same way. Obama also had the majority of the press openly rooting for him with excessive bias like never before in history.... and any story that remotely showed Obama in any negative light was ignored by the majority of the press.

I think most conservatives were extremely disappointed that it was "McCain's" turn to be the Repub nominee... he served us poorly and you are right about his grasp of the issues and the counrty's problems.

Obama won the election because of the financial debacle and the advantages described above.. and the Repubs had a crappy candidate. Thompson was the Repubs best candidate ideologically speaking.

I doubt anyone could have beaten Obama with just the financial crash alone happening on GB's watch.... and there were millions of folks wanting ice cream.

BTW, that does not make solid conservative ideals lose their merit... , the reality is... true conservative ideals have not been in place the past 8 years. IF Obama stays more centrist, most people in the country will wish him success... if not, well, there were over 55 million who voted against him. Four years goes by pretty quick.

R

seafox
01-27-2009, 10:26 PM
and as for obama not promasing more " icecream" he was claiming he would cut taxes for 95% of americans and it is a crying shame that so many people belived it when only about 60% of americans pay income taxes in the first place
so sad. the founding fathers had the right idea only land owners should vote because they actually have a stake in the vital heart of goverment, the presiveration of property

John of Phoenix
01-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Ahh the good old days when only the literate landed gentry could have a say in running the country.

RodB
01-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Duncan Gibbs

Re: Good analogy for the Presidential election...

I know I'm on the right track if Duncan disagrees with me... its a political certitude...

RodB

Michael Beckman
01-27-2009, 10:35 PM
I just made myself a milkshake. Mmm.

capt jake
01-27-2009, 10:36 PM
I just made myself a milkshake. Mmm.
I might just do the same! I'll make mine chocolate!

paladin
Letting just landowners vote wouldn't help.....last time something like that was tried they sent in the army and stole the land at gunpoint then gave it to the folks that paid them for it...Justice at the point of a gun. That's what the country was founded on and that's the way it operates.

RodB
Yea, they expect a lot of ice cream in their milk shakes up where you live...
:)

R

Glen Longino
01-27-2009, 11:30 PM
to bad bush governed like a democrat and mecain would not have been much different. actually I wish huckabee were president and his first order would have been to close the IRS not club getmo.
jeff

I may stay up all night laughing!:D

botebum
01-27-2009, 11:39 PM
jeffJeff is proof that "no child left behind" failed in at least one case:rolleyes:

Doug

Michael Beckman
01-27-2009, 11:41 PM
I thought the "No Child Left Inside" movement was better.

Pugwash
01-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Jeff is proof that "no child left behind" failed in at least one case:rolleyes:

Doug

It would seem that "No Child Dropped On It's Head" failed in this case too.

ljb5
01-27-2009, 11:56 PM
and as for obama not promasing more " icecream" he was claiming he would cut taxes for 95% of americans and it is a crying shame that so many people belived it when only about 60% of americans pay income taxes.

Just two questions:
Are there any Americans who do pay taxes, but don't pay income taxes? To how many people was McCain offering tax breaks?

For more than thirty years, the Republican mantra has been: "Always more tax breaks" --- and now you're complaining Obama was offering too many tax breaks?

The Republicans in Congress are currently complaining that Obama's plan doesn't have enough tax breaks.... and you're complaining he offered too many?

seanz
01-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Lighten up folks... , lets leave G. Bush out of the comments... he was not running .... So it was McCain and Obama.. and Obama promised the most ice cream. Now, many on this forum that voted for Obama have strong opinions on many different issues, and obviously do their homework to backup their opinions. .. but you have to admit their sure where bunches and I mean bunches of folks that voted for Obama...and just thought they would get more ice cream...

Satire in an analogy is funny when there is a significant amount of truth involved... IMHO...

R

8 years of Bush?
You're lucky there's any ice-cream left.

Expect to be reminded, by the rest of the world, at every opportunity, forever, just how bad 'W' was as President.

RodB
01-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Expect to be reminded, by the rest of the world, at every opportunity, forever, just how bad 'W' was as President.

Yes, Bush derangement syndrome is alive and well... and expected to not go away any time soon...

R

ljb5
01-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Yes, Bush derangement syndrome is alive and well... and expected to not go away any time soon...

Didn't you hear? Deranged Bush went away last week. :D

Duncan Gibbs
01-28-2009, 01:27 AM
Didn't you hear? Deranged Bush went away last week. :D

Yes, but Bush Derangement Syndrome (BDR) is alive and well: This thread is but one example, like some kind of Lear wandering the estuary in a demented state....

Nothing comes from nothing! :rolleyes:

Didja hear Palin wants a second shot at the top job in 2012? Stand by for more comedy folks!! :D:p

Duncan Gibbs
01-28-2009, 01:29 AM
I know I'm on the right track if Duncan disagrees with me... its a political certitude...

I am Politic Weather Vain! Hear me point!!! :p;):D

TomF
01-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Rod,

Your guy lost because the majority of the population was dissatisfied with how the US had been led by the Republicans, and the best bet for actually delivering "change" did not appear to be simply electing another Republican.

Nobody, except Republicans, really thought that McCain would get significant "change" occurring ... and the Republicans themselves didn't like the type of change they were afraid McCain would bring.

Obama is your President now, whether or not you voted for him. You going to do the patriotic thing and support him (as Reps repeatedly counselled everyone to do re Bush)? Or be like Limbaugh, and openly hope he (and hence America) fails?

LeeG
01-28-2009, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=RodB;2085651 So it was McCain and Obama.. and Obama promised the most ice cream. .

R[/QUOTE]

B.S. ,and McCain offered an inchoate mishmash of ideas that didn't give one the sense he was outside of the system that thought pre-emptive war on made up intel made sense, ie. "the shopping is great in Baghdad!", "Iran is giving aid to Al Qaeda in Iraq"

Hey RodB, what do you make of Obamas interview on Al Arabiya day before yesterday?

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2009/01/27/65087.html#004

RodB
01-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Hey RodB, what do you make of Obamas interview on Al Arabiya day before yesterday?

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/20...65087.html#004

I must say, it will be very interesting to see the effects of his comments... will pushing the idea that the USA will be more open to all sides...be enough to improve relatlions and/or the perceptions of the Islamic world...or are the vast majority of the extremists only interested in the destruction of Israel, period.

I'm hoping for the former.

R

Rigadog
01-28-2009, 09:51 AM
_

He certainly promised a few things... but Obama promised a lot more.

R

Feeling jilted? BooHoo...

imagine2frolic
01-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Obama didn't win. Bush gave it to him, and like it, or not. Mac was tied to Bush. It would have been much of the same with a new name.....i2f

John of Phoenix
01-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Fool me once, shame on shame on you. Fool me you can't get fooled again.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
NEVER again will the neocons wield that kind of stupidity.

Rigadog
01-28-2009, 10:21 AM
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!