PDA

View Full Version : Lyme Disease

Bob Triggs
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
I just finished reading an interesting book about Lyme Disease. For me this book has been a shocking eye opener as I had contracted Lyme several times many years ago. And I know peple who have had it.

Just wondering what people's experience around here is.

The book is "Healing Lyme" by Stephen Harrod Buhner www.gaianstudies.org (http://www.gaianstudies.org)

It leans toward some serious herbal and homeopathic treatment protocols. It is not an anti medical establishment book. If you have or had Lyme Borrelliosis my recommendation is to read it. And share it with your doctor.

Appearantly anitibiotics have not been very successful in treating this disease long term. There are many (hundreds of thousands)people walking around with this serious infection and they dont know it, or their doctors cant detect it, and it often goes untreated or simply written off as hypochondria. This disease destroys peoples lives.

ishmael
01-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks for that, Bob. Never had it that I know of, but I used to spend a lot more time in the woods and wondered about it.

Tricky to diagnose and tricky to treat by reputation. A spirochete bacterium, the same form of critter that makes syphilis. Spiral shaped. Tricky bugs.

J. Dillon
01-27-2009, 06:00 PM
I got it years ago . My P. care doc could not figure it out. At first I tested negative for the disease but continued the symptoms. After about a month he ordered the test again and it came back positive. Anti biotics cleared it up. It was real nasty for a while aching all over and no energy.:(

JD

Vince Brennan
01-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Jeez, ask Lefty! He's an expert at it by now!

Rigadog
01-27-2009, 11:17 PM
I had a case a few years back, picked it up while in NW Connecticut. My right knee was swollen and it was extremely painful, even lying in bed. I had probably had it a number of months at this point, and mad a degree of mental dysfunction as well (I'm ready for the jokes), I was very foggy and had trouble thinking and found it hard to express myself. My doctor here in Pittsburgh had never seen a case, he ran the test, but it came back negative. I basically had to lobby him to treat me, he finally relented and after a 21 day course of antibiotics, my symptoms subsided, although the foggyness took a while to resolve. Everyone I know in Connecticut has had it at least once and a good friend developed Bell's Palsy from it, as did the concertina player at our wedding. He wore a pirate's patch over his eye for decorum's sake .

The bottom line is, it's definitely not something to take lightly.

Ian McColgin
01-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Bell's Palsey is sometimes the first signal of Lyme. Sure is a lot better now than a couple decades ago when it was barely understood, not testable, and treatment pretty much unknown.

Now the big argument is how long to keep with the antibiotics. Having a few friends who were "cured" - tested negative - and it came back after the antibiotics were stopped, I suspect that very very long term antibiotic therapy, for all the problems that poses with other things getting resistant, is the best shot at the moment.

Not just people get it, by the way. One of Dad's horses had his hunting career cut short by Lyme.

Roger Cumming
01-28-2009, 12:29 AM
I've had Lyme disease. Got it in Shelter Island, NY. If treated soon after being bitten it is easily eradicated with antibiotics. It was the worst fever I ever experienced. Anyone who would treat this serious disease with herbs is crazy. If untreated, the disease can cause serious central-nervous system problems. An elderly farmer in Shelter Island once told me it was not unusual for the local inhabitants to contract a very serious fever, to be very ill for several weeks and then slowly get better. A friend of mine, a weekend resident, came down with what appeared to be the Lyme symptoms but repeatedly tested negative. His condition deteriorated, he went into the hospital, stayed for 10 weeks and very slowly got better without any treatment or ever being diagnosed.

Rigadog
01-28-2009, 10:14 AM
The book advocates using both antibiotics and herbs from what I could glean.

Bob Triggs
01-28-2009, 04:03 PM
The medical literature is pointing to antibiotic therapies failing quite often. It may work in far fewer cases than was originally thought. Principally because the symptoms subside quickly under intense antibiotic therapy, and the tests can be dicey. Much depends upon the health of the person at the time of exposure (tick bite is the most often route of infection though there is evidence that it is contractible in other ways.) Another factor is how long the spirochetes were inside of the person prior to getting anitbiotic therapy. The organism develops strategies to circumvent the body's immunities, and it also can change it's own physical make up (phenotype) in order to avoid antibiotics. The organism also hides in tissues where blood and antibiotics can not reach them.

Some very good work has been done on this, and continues to be compiled, that the herbal protocols are working long term and peoople are finding relief. This is proving especially true in chronic long term cases.

Rigadog
01-28-2009, 06:00 PM
That is one smart Spirochete!