PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Yeah... They can Fly Heavy Jets

Chris Ostlind
01-27-2009, 12:27 AM
This story just flat cracks me up. You may see other things besides humor.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,517772,00.html

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20081221/BUSINESS/492423681/0/YOURVIEW

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7098547.stm

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/11/16/africa/ME-GEN-Emirates-Airbus-Accident.php

As you can see from the various links above, even the official stories that were released, were all over the place as to accuracy. Even the Airbus people, themselves, said this, "Airbus Chief Operating Officer Fabrice Bregier said late Thursday that seven Etihad employees were among the wounded. "It was normal for the client to be present on board the plane," Bregier said.

I wonder just which of the stories is actually true and for what purpose any of them have in saving face, placing blame, or any of a dozen other possible story lines that could be constructed to serve those involved. If you have the real story, were actually on site for a proper investigation, did not have your notes altered under pressure and have absolutely impeccable journalistic credentials, then... by all means, weigh-in with your take.

I still think it's damn funny, whatever the actual event.

Captain Blight
01-27-2009, 12:32 AM
You know, it's one thing to try to program your remote control without looking at the owner's manual. But you'd think that for an airplane that costs a fifth of a BILLION dollars, you might want to at least crack it open.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-27-2009, 12:37 AM
doh!!!!

BrianW
01-27-2009, 01:07 AM
Gotta watch the WOW circuit breaker... it's got more functions than seems likely.

The Bigfella
01-27-2009, 01:24 AM
A pity they can't be bothered to check the facts. At one stage its an A380, then its an A340 (which it was). Here's one of the press releases from Etihad about it ...

I am very pleased to report that injuries sustained to a number of people during the pre-delivery ground tests of an Airbus A340-600 aircraft are not life-threatening.

We send those involved our very best wishes for a speedy recovery. Their welfare is our primary concern and our thoughts are very much with them, their family, friends and co-workers.

Injuries were sustained by workers from Airbus and Abu Dhabi Aircraft Technologies. I have today written to the chief executives of both companies to express our sincere sympathy on behalf of every at Etihad Airways.

No Etihad Airways staff were involved in the incident.

We continue to liaise closely with Airbus in order to keep fully informed of the latest developments following the incident at the manufacturer’s headquarters in Toulouse, France.

Representatives from the airline, including our Paris based country manager for France, are at the Airbus headquarters.

The aircraft involved in the incident was undergoing pre-delivery tests and was scheduled to be delivered to us next week.

My thanks to all those concerned for co-ordinating our response to this unfortunate incident.

There were 2 Airbus employees on board and no Etihad employees. The engine run up tests had been completed and the aircraft was being moved when the accident happened. The Airbus had not been handed over to Etihad

The Bigfella
01-27-2009, 01:30 AM
- and a C&P from another forum, which also comments on the racist nature of the story doing the rounds ......

What we've learned:

- Run-up test was performed at high ENG thrust setting on 4 engines to detect an oil leak (procedural violation)
- No chocks in place (procedural violation)
- Braking system was normally operative giving full efficiency
- 3 technicians in the cockpit, 1 AI tech on the right performing the test, 1 GAMCO tech on the left as a client observer only, 1 AI flight test engineer (A320, ATR42 type rated though), observer as well on a J/S.
- 6 other people, in the cabin.

What happened:

During run-up, A/C started to move due to:
-high vibrations
-decrease of GW due to fuel burn during test (1270 kgs)
-slight brake pressure decrease on one wheel

Gamco technician noticed that first and spoke out.
AI technician focused on an altn braking problem and deactivated the park brake while pressing the pedals (not enough in a first stage...) to recover normal braking.

As the A/C continued moving, AI tech tried to steer the A/C to the right to avoid the wall...doing so, he inhibited braking on central wheels.
A/C accelerated, 4 to 31 kts in 7 sec.
About 2 sec before impact, the engineer on the rear J/S retarted the THR levers to idle.

That's facts.

That was just to give a reply to that racist story we read about this event.

So long'

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/300539-brand-new-etihad-a340-600-damaged-toulouse-several-wounded-25.html

Chris, not only is the story you linked wrong, the problem having been caused by the Airbus staff on board, it is racist. Get rid of it.

Captain Blight
01-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Just because the people doing it had brown skin, doesn't make reporting their dumbness "racist."

The Bigfella
01-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Just because the people doing it had brown skin, doesn't make reporting their dumbness "racist."

They didn't do it Blighty. The Airbus idiots did it.

To bullsh!t it around to what that link claims IS racist.

pila
01-27-2009, 03:45 AM
Maybe the airline will replace it with a Boeing.:)

Chris Ostlind
01-27-2009, 09:20 AM
... You may see other things besides humor.

Look at the first post again, Bigfella. It very clearly says that you may see other things besides humor.

Apparently, what you saw was racism and not a humorous take of a unique "incident".

And... if the story were to be placed in a bad light as a critical function of communication, it would still not be racist, maybe culturalist, but certainly not racist. If you feel differently, BF, then perhaps you can share with us just which race is being offended here with the humorous posting?

Mrleft8
01-27-2009, 09:26 AM
A link to a boat design site has what to do with what?

Chris Ostlind
01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Removed for your well-being, lefty.

John of Phoenix
01-27-2009, 10:31 AM
No one killed? That's amazing!

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1022009,00.jpg

carioca1232001
01-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Whoevers to blame - Etihadīs crew or Airbusī- the fact is that they botched up.

I recall an internal flight in ī78 from Peshawar to Lahore on Paksitan International Airlines. It was a worn out, leased 707 from the US. The insignia on the seats differed from the PIA insignia on the outside fuselage.

The captain in the cockpit was taking a young bloke in the co-pilotīs seat through the paces of turning onto the runway (for take off) after making the approach from the taxiing lane. Did it several times, in fact too many times for comfort.

But youīve got to know to do it right, so that barriers and pylons - and the A/Cīs undercarriage, fuselage and wings - stay put !

When the duo finally decided to take off, passengers uttered a sigh of relief.

Robert L E
01-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Choose A) or B)-

A) Always point your aircraft at a wall before doing engine run up tests. This way the aircraft will not get away.

B) Always point your aircraft down an empty runway before doing engine run up tests. This way you have time to shut the engines down if the aircraft gets away.

They chose A).

paladin
01-27-2009, 03:16 PM
I wonder if they had the thing confused with a STOL aircraft.....more like a stalled aircraft.....if the dawgone thing carries more people than the square of the number of passengers for the wing tip to wingtip in feet it's too damn big.

The Bigfella
01-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Look at the first post again, Bigfella. It very clearly says that you may see other things besides humor.

Apparently, what you saw was racism and not a humorous take of a unique "incident".

And... if the story were to be placed in a bad light as a critical function of communication, it would still not be racist, maybe culturalist, but certainly not racist. If you feel differently, BF, then perhaps you can share with us just which race is being offended here with the humorous posting?

Which version of which post do you want me to comment on? Had your fun now Chris? I hope you feel better for it. Was it good therapy?

Yep - there was plenty of rumour that did the rounds, eventually degenerating to the racist crap that you originally posted (and wisely deleted) as supposed fact. If you can't figure out the racist elements in it that says more than anything I could say.

It took about 30 seconds to find that the version you posted was so far removed from the truth as to be nothing but racist propaganda as it could possibly be.

Yeah - injuries aside, that is damn "funny". Its always "funny" when people get smashed to smithereens isn't it?

Chris Ostlind
01-27-2009, 05:45 PM
... as to be nothing but racist propaganda as it could possibly be.

Racist by what definition? You still haven't described just what race was being harmed here. Go on, Big Fella, tell us what race it was that got you all in a fizz?

We're waiting... Was it the Caucasian race, Negroid, Mongoloid....? How about you precisely define the group exactly? We all know that you have a graduate degree in Cultural Anthropology, so lay it on us, big boy

Yeah - injuries aside, that is damn "funny". Its always "funny" when people get smashed to smithereens isn't it?

Yes, I think it is funny when a supposedly professional entity is tasked to operate a large jet aircraft and they get it all, so very wrong. A group, mind you, that has supposedly gone through hours and hours of check-out sessions in order to get the necessary qualifications to get them into the cockpit to perform said work.

And who was injured from this colossal screw-up? The imaginary races about whom you are so backed-up? Who were they, these imaginary guys and/or gals of some mythical race that is so difficult to define that you can't even get it together to bring that scientific evidence to the table?

Give us a break you wannabe autocrat. Next thing we're gonna hear from you is that before these goofs went off to wreck the jet, they all had dinner with you and a cigar afterward... and then they had a petting session with your lame parrots

Please save us from the totally weak epithets and go get a life.

The Bigfella
01-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Racist by what definition? You still haven't described just what race was being harmed here. Go on, Big Fella, tell us what race it was that got you all in a fizz?

We're waiting... Was it the Caucasian race, Negroid, Mongoloid....? How about you precisely define the group exactly? We all know that you have a graduate degree in Cultural Anthropology, so lay it on us, big boy

Yes, I think it is funny when a supposedly professional entity is tasked to operate a large jet aircraft and they get it all, so very wrong. A group, mind you, that has supposedly gone through hours and hours of check-out sessions in order to get the necessary qualifications to get them into the cockpit to perform said work.

And who was injured from this colossal screw-up? The imaginary races about whom you are so backed-up? Who were they, these imaginary guys and/or gals of some mythical race that is so difficult to define that you can't even get it together to bring that scientific evidence to the table?

Give us a break you wannabe autocrat. Next thing we're gonna hear from you is that before these goofs went off to wreck the jet, they all had dinner with you and a cigar afterward... and then they had a petting session with your lame parrots

Please save us from the totally weak epithets and go get a life.

The link you posted was racist against Arabs, IIRC.

You fortunately deleted the link, as requested. I guess that shows at least a shred of integrity. Well done. Its a pity you couldn't do it with grace.

The other element in your original post that was less than professional, shall we say, is that the supposed "facts" just weren't. As I said, easily checked. The slur on the crew from the airline's service provider was unwarranted.

btw - I'm quite happy with my life. You don't seem so happy.

Keep digging.

Taylor Tarvin
01-28-2009, 10:20 AM
I don't understand the assumption on anyones part that the Ethiad ground crew were Arabs. I run into Ethiad flight crews all over Europe and Africa and few if any of the pilots or flight attendants are Arab. Most pilots I have spoken to are Italians, Aussies and Kiwis. Most of the F/A are from the UK. Like Emirates, Ethiad hires mostly foreign staff and that includes maintainance crews. It's likely that it was a blond haired blue eyed idiot that screwed this up.

The Bigfella
01-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Umm, can I say it again. It was the Airbus employees that screwed it up..... It had nothing to do with the guys from the Etihad service provider....

Tom Wilkinson
01-28-2009, 04:52 PM
What is your thread title a reference to?

paladin
01-28-2009, 08:54 PM
See....I TOLD you they put the tail wheel on the wrong end.

The Bigfella
01-28-2009, 09:03 PM
What is your thread title a reference to?

Tom, its a reference to this incident.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/etihad.asp

Chris has (rightly) deleted his original link - which had even more crap in it that the Snopes version. It was both wrong and it was also racist.

Chris' response to a request to delete it was to get nasty. Tells you something eh?

John of Phoenix
01-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Look at those cockpit pictures!! Those are some LUCKY people.

seafox
01-28-2009, 09:27 PM
funny I figured the people that made the mistake were french the abi-daubi were there to obsurve the test being made by the builder ( french) bec ause they had not yet taken delivery. guess I am racest because I have french dogs. they run behind the front yard fence before they start barking at passerbys. the french are a joke. somehow I never thought of the Arabs as a joke.

seafox
01-28-2009, 09:30 PM
BTW did you hear the french were the first to issue bycycles to their troops? didn't work to good it just helped them retreat faster. ( citation mad magizine circa late 1970s)

The Bigfella
01-28-2009, 09:36 PM
BTW did you hear the french were the first to issue bycycles to their troops? didn't work to good it just helped them retreat faster. ( citation mad magizine circa late 1970s)

Yeah terrific. Thanks for that. btw - the French, with a total population of less than 40 million, suffered 5.5 million military casualties in WW1. I don't think they shirked too much.

paladin
01-28-2009, 09:51 PM
The French in Vietnam sure as hell weren't running...I sat up many nights showing them how to set the P-35 pistols up to fire full auto bursts, and modify their other weapons to increase the rate of fire....and a few of the wimmins I would just as soon be behind them when they got mad, they were hell on wheels.

Tom Wilkinson
01-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Tom, its a reference to this incident.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/etihad.asp

Chris has (rightly) deleted his original link - which had even more crap in it that the Snopes version. It was both wrong and it was also racist.

Chris' response to a request to delete it was to get nasty. Tells you something eh?

I know what the original post was, I was curious if the thread title was referring to another incident in which "they" were flying heavy jets.

The Bigfella
01-29-2009, 09:33 AM
I know what the original post was, I was curious if the thread title was referring to another incident in which "they" were flying heavy jets.

That was my reading, but I guess its up to him to say.

Chris Ostlind
01-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Why No, actually, it's all up to you... as everything else on the Bilge is frequently regarded.

Arab racism, BF?.... I love it. Are they Negroid? Is that your point? Maybe they are discreetly Mongoloid and I've made a serious racial faux pas? Maybe they are Caucasoid, much like their Greek and Italian neighbors? Geez, maybe you, like Tyler Durden, think they are Space Aliens? That would certainly qualify me as a racist and you would win the point.

Yeah, that's it! You and Mark are of the same tin hat ilk and I, by deductive reasoning, am a racist. (It’s no wonder you two play off each other with such aplomb. One might almost think you were a comedy duo in another life. Sort of a half-baked, wired at the hip, version of Martin and Lewis) Check... Got it.

Relax, BF.... Have another cigar. Dream-up another unfounded claim, or two.

And Tommy... my dear sweet Tommy. You took the vaguely positioned conspiracy bait perfectly. Just a bit pre-disposed there, mister?

Tom Wilkinson
01-29-2009, 05:05 PM
I read it as you intended it. How does that make me pre disposed to anything? I asked what you intended, you confimed what I thought.

Thanks.