PDA

View Full Version : Pres. Obama cancells Bush admin legal opinions

skuthorp
01-26-2009, 04:17 PM
"In one move, he ordered his government not to rely on any legal opinions concerning interrogation produced by the Justice Department or other agencies between Sept. 11, 2001, and Tuesday, when he assumed the presidency."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/us/politics/23obama.html?pagewanted=all

Seems to have done his homework, and have a ready agenda to work through. But it does not seem to be a blanket order, some individuals are clearly still seen as a threat.
"In a separate directive, Mr. Obama asked for a high-level review of the case of Ali al-Marri — Mr. Obama called him “clearly a dangerous individual” — who is being held without charges as an “enemy combatant” in a military jail in South Carolina. The Justice Department asked the Supreme Court for a 30-day stay in Mr. Marri’s civil case challenging his detention until the new administration decided on its position."

It's a legal mire, and a few compliant heads may roll in the Military Justice area before this is sorted.

paladin
01-26-2009, 05:24 PM
During wartime certain rules are accepted...at least by "civilized" warring factions.
In the Cherokee Nation....once the peace pipe has been smoked, the state of hostilities has ceased. The tribes may or not be trading partners, but both oppose open hostility. Should one member of one of the tribes engage in a warlike act upon the other tribe, his own brothers will turn him over. He will not be treated as an enemy combatant, but as a terrorist. Depending on the nature of his crime, he will be banished from both tribes, or possibly executed according to the prevailing law. If his warlike act results in the death of a tribal member, he forfeits his. If the person is an honorable person, he may be released for a period of time to prepare for his death, giving him time to arrange for the health of any family. At the appointed time and place he will present himself for administration of the punishment. I can find only one reference in tribal history of someone failing to honor their release. My great grandmother on my fathers side was the widow of a Comanche warrior. He killed a white man who had dishonored a family member. Whether he was justified or not, he and the tribe recognized the problems that would have prevailed if he had not been punished. He accepted his punishment with dignity. My great uncle Floyd White Horse was his son, his mother married my great grandfather. You will find no such honor among todays terrorists, they are common criminals.