PDA

View Full Version : Cod Liver Oil

J. Dillon
01-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Rummaging through the medicine box, I found an unpacked never opened bottle of Cod Liver Oil.:cool: The expiration date reading 9/97.
It looks like it came right from the packaging plant.:)

Is it still good for human consumption,or should I use it for "tool oils ? ":confused:

JD

Hollingsworth
01-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Uh, human consumption? Why?

J. Dillon
01-25-2009, 08:17 PM
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/964/codliverdatabp0.jpg

My Mom forced this stuff on me. Today at 79 I have most of my teeth ( a couple knocked out in rock fights ) My bones are good especially the ones between my ears ;), so I thinks the oil does some good.:D

JD

paladin
01-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Good Grief, JD, if'n ya saw how they made that stuff you would never let it into your body, ugh!

JimD
01-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Good Grief, JD, if'n ya saw how they made that stuff you would never let it into your body, ugh!

And the basic technology for drilling for cod liver oil has changed little over the years

J. Dillon
01-25-2009, 10:54 PM

Chuck, I guess ignorance is bliss. :( ;)

JD

Plumbtex
01-25-2009, 11:06 PM
I thought cod liver oil was just something Mom used to make sure we weren't faking when we said we felt bad, very effective when used this way.

Chris

shamus
01-26-2009, 12:14 AM
If it had been opened it might go rancid, but you'd be able to taste that. Otherwise it should be ok I think. Sometime since 1997, the process has been changed somewhat to reduce the amount of vitamin A in the oil, following a study into bone density, which found that high vitamin A might be actually reducing bone density.

I think it's great stuff. Since I rediscovered it some years ago, I've had almost no SAD in winter, or black dog at any time, almost no colds or any other illness for that matter. So either it contains powerful ingredients or has a strong placebo effect on me. I couldn't care less which.

Spin_Drift
01-26-2009, 01:51 AM
For Heaven's sake JD, a bottle of Cod Liver Oil costs only a few dollars. :eek:

Buy a new one for your consumption and oil something that stays outdoors with this one. ;)

Oils go rancid you know and it might look and taste OK, but not be good for you.
It's only a few dollars worth...Do you really want to take a chance?

I wouldn't do it...and I wouldn't want to see you get bad results with good intentions...:(

pipefitter
01-26-2009, 02:17 AM
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/964/codliverdatabp0.jpg

My Mom forced this stuff on me. Today at 79 I have most of my teeth ( a couple knocked out in rock fights ) My bones are good especially the ones between my ears ;), so I thinks the oil does some good.:D

JD

That's pretty darn impressive reading your threads along with your pirogue adventures. I would have never guessed you to be 79.

rufustr
01-26-2009, 02:23 AM
I agree with Spin, chuck the stuff and buy new.

This is what my Mum fed me for years.

Still like the taste.

http://www.fgb.com.au/Pics/ExtProdHmPgPics/HypolRegular500.gif

Peerie Maa
01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Funniest thing I remember was feeding cod liver oil to a pony. He loved it.

Picture if you can a pony with the handle of a huge serving spoon in the corner of his mouth. Suck suck suck for five minutes or more before we could get the spoon back.:D

Stiletto
01-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Use it to oil your codpiece.:eek:

paladin
01-26-2009, 04:07 PM
I was introduced to cod liver oil on Cut Throat Island.....55 miles North of Cartwright at the mouth of Hamilton inlet leading to Goose Bay Labrador. We had a single cylinder make and break engine in a 30 foot fishing boat. We also had a bottle of cod liver oil to lubricate said engine. In the spring after the ice broke up, we were headed to one of the neighboring islands for the day. The local Newfoundlander fishermen would turn their dogs loose on the island in the spring, then go and recover the ones still alive in the fall letting then fend for themselves. The island was also where they brought their catch, cleaned and salted the fish for transport. They used wooden sluice boxes for processing in the open air...the first guy would cut open the fish, the second would gut it and toss the liver in a 55 gallon drum, then slide the fish to the next guy, and so on....the livers would sit outside in the open air, rotting or whatever, and during the season they would come along with a small jug, collect some of the oil to lubricate their engines and leave the rest, constantly adding and subtracting to the drum contents. At the end of the season whatever remained was processed as cod liver oil......

J. Dillon
01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
A bump up for Chucks latest chuckle:

How about more "Chuck's Chuckles ? " ;)

JD

I was introduced to cod liver oil on Cut Throat Island.....55 miles North of Cartwright at the mouth of Hamilton inlet leading to Goose Bay Labrador. We had a single cylinder make and break engine in a 30 foot fishing boat. We also had a bottle of cod liver oil to lubricate said engine. In the spring after the ice broke up, we were headed to one of the neighboring islands for the day. The local Newfoundlander fishermen would turn their dogs loose on the island in the spring, then go and recover the ones still alive in the fall letting then fend for themselves. The island was also where they brought their catch, cleaned and salted the fish for transport. They used wooden sluice boxes for processing in the open air...the first guy would cut open the fish, the second would gut it and toss the liver in a 55 gallon drum, then slide the fish to the next guy, and so on....the livers would sit outside in the open air, rotting or whatever, and during the season they would come along with a small jug, collect some of the oil to lubricate their engines and leave the rest, constantly adding and subtracting to the drum contents. At the end of the season whatever remained was processed as cod liver oil......

bruce w
01-26-2009, 05:38 PM
use it ,it will have less heavy metal content ,than the 2009 crop.

Spin_Drift
01-26-2009, 06:00 PM
use it ,it will have less heavy metal content ,than the 2009 crop.

I do understand the concern. Definitely important point.

Here is a link for clean Cod liver oil. Clean of Mercury, heavy metals and PCB's...

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:UBk0qXA_ZdMJ:www.qnlabs.com/qnpdfs/QN%2520Cod%2520Liver%2520Oil.pdf+cod+liver+oil+mer cury+free&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=fi

Popeye
01-27-2009, 08:00 AM
500 illnesses and 7 deaths (http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/26/peanut.butter.plant/index.html?section=cnn_latest) , linked to moldy peanut products

i think i will take my chances with fish oil

huisjen
01-27-2009, 08:48 AM
It's a good song.

Dan

Popeye
01-27-2009, 08:51 AM
cod liver oil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzpYJOH_hRY)