PDA

View Full Version : A "knotty" Issue

WindHawk
08-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Much better sailors than me have debated this knot, but the fact that they were scratching thier brows makes me want to ask the experts. Is this knot correct? Mainmast, no halyards, no gooseneck...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/WindHawk/knot.jpg

WindHawk
08-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Oops! We don't need two of these...

htom
08-26-2004, 07:35 PM
Edit the first post of this thread; you'll be given an option to delete the entire thread.

NormMessinger
08-26-2004, 07:47 PM
I don't recogonize the knot. Does it slip? Can you untie it easily if you want to? No and Yes? Then it is either correct or you've invented a new one. Either way is good, eh?

[ 08-26-2004, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: NormMessinger ]

Steve Lansdowne
08-26-2004, 08:14 PM
If it holds as well as it needs to and can be untied without too much hassle when it needs to be untied, it is the right knot.

Steve Miller
08-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Looks like the boom was built to work with a snotter set up not a knot tied in a line around the mast. Having a Swifty 12 I know the sleeve shown is part of the mast hinge. Since the sleeve needs to slide up to bend the mast I bet that the end of the sleeve and not an eye screwed to the mast is all that holds up the boom, right? My rig uses a different approach - what Fred Shell calls the sprit stick. I'll see if I can find a photo but a snotter would be easy to rig.

BTW, in your launch posts it looks like the you need a sail tie to secure the sails tack to the mast. I missed adding that loop too when I first rigged my Swifty 12. You can just rig it with the downhaul line by retying with a mast tie at the tack and a long tail to serve as the downhaul.

The photo of my Swifty (out of the garage for the first time) shows the same gap between the tack and mast. Did not realize it until I looked at the photo.

You can also just see the sprit stick. Its a piece of 1x2 bolted to the end of the boom with a notch in each end spaced to line up with the sail ties. Works slick. The tension on the sail from the boom holds it all in place.

http://www.hevanet.com/kg7pv/Swifty12_Part2_files/image013.jpg

WindHawk
08-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Just got paged to work, so this one will be too quick.

You're right on the tack being too far off, the second time we sailed her we managed to bring it up close with a simple cleat knot, and could feel the difference. I'm convinced (currently) that the bowline is OK. It can be broken in a hurry, and since we can't reef the main, simply pulling the boom off of the mast works for depowering the sail. That scares many folks, but she's a small lake boat, so we are OK.

Hwyl
08-26-2004, 08:31 PM
What Steve says. You need to get that tack in close to the mast,the boat will sail much better. Your sail will be a lot more usefull if you can control the draft. So the knot has to be adjustable. Others will come up with suggestions---I'll check in tomorow with my own.

Edited to note that you posted while I was typing

[ 08-26-2004, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Hwyl ]

Steve Miller
08-26-2004, 10:25 PM
I have thought about converting my sprit stick to a snotter so I can control the draft of the sail - too hard to do it from the clew. Here is one simple idea that uses no hardware.

http://www.simplicityboats.com/snotter.jpg

Edited: sorry the diagram is not showing. Seems the site has exceeded it bandwidth. I'll look for another diagram of a snotter.

[ 08-28-2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Steve Miller ]