PDA

View Full Version : Gut Busting help?

doorstop
01-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Righto you lot.
Now I know that all of the blokeses on this forum are Adonises, perfect physical specimens and cute to boot. Unfortunately I am the only exception to this rule. In the interests of conformity do you perfectly formed chaps know of ways that a chap with a sticky out tum could reduce it without resorting to sugery, chemical additives or utterly ridiculous forms of physical exercise ( I am too bloody old to run!)
I note that many of you have been able to maintain your perfect forms even while cooking large quantities of lard, fat and calories in ways that not only sound delicious but also increase my weight even though I only READ the bloasted recipes!
Your assistance in reducing my girth would be gratefully received...

botebum
01-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Walk every day and swim as often as possible.

Doug

Phillip Allen
01-15-2009, 08:34 PM
get divorced? :)

Phillip Allen
01-15-2009, 08:34 PM
truth is, if I had the answer I'd be a lot less fat myself

Concordia...41
01-15-2009, 08:38 PM
It's basic math. Expend more calories than you intake.

Exercise of any kind helps. You don't need to run. Walk, ride a bike, throw a Frisbee with the dog, build the neighbor kids a tree house - it doesn't matter. Just do something.

This website:

http://caloriecount.about.com/

Has a ton of tools to help you calculate the calories you need - according to your current weight, BMI, weight loss goals, exercise, or lack thereof.

It has a program where you can enter pretty much any food - most fast food items as well as fruits, vegetables, meats and it tells you the calories. (obviously it's not perfect and some things will vary, but it's quite educational). If you register, it has a way for you to track what you eat and it keeps a running track of not just calories, but protein, carbs, fat grams, etc. Once you get into it, it's not just about the calories, it's about getting the right % of protein, carbs, etc.

And HORRORS! They have their own Forum :D

Bottom line, there is no greater investment than your own health!

- M

Paul Pless
01-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Righto you lot.
Now I know that all of the blokeses on this forum are Adonises, perfect physical specimens and cute to boot.you forgot self made, filthy rich, and politically connected; while remaining pious at the same time;)

LeeG
01-15-2009, 08:59 PM
There's about 9 calories per gram of fat.

So you can reduce your caloric intake by 9 calories or you can increase your caloric output by 9 calories to lose one gram of fat.

So if you're carrying around a resevoir of fat it'll be a lot less stressful to burn it off than starve it off since you need food to live and not be cranky.

Walking an hour every day should remove a pound and a half every month, 18lbs a year. I've been increasing roughly two pounds every year for the last ten years.

JimD
01-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Quit eating so much.

Phillip Allen
01-15-2009, 09:05 PM
poop a lot more

Mrleft8
01-15-2009, 09:12 PM
I do stomach crunches.....At least 100 every few days...... When I remember.... Thanks for reminding me...
THE OTHER method is realy simple. Stop eating before you feel full.

stevebaby
01-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Righto you lot.
Now I know that all of the blokeses on this forum are Adonises, perfect physical specimens and cute to boot. Unfortunately I am the only exception to this rule. In the interests of conformity do you perfectly formed chaps know of ways that a chap with a sticky out tum could reduce it without resorting to sugery, chemical additives or utterly ridiculous forms of physical exercise ( I am too bloody old to run!)
I note that many of you have been able to maintain your perfect forms even while cooking large quantities of lard, fat and calories in ways that not only sound delicious but also increase my weight even though I only READ the bloasted recipes!
Your assistance in reducing my girth would be gratefully received...Half the problem is slack abdominal muscles.Situps and crunches will take care of that. It doesn't matter how many you do to start, just keep gradually increasing the number. If you want to speed things up a little, do the crunches and situps with weights. You'll have a flatter abdomen in 2 weeks,just by doing this every day, although a rest day is advisable.
The other half of the problem is diet and excercise. Eat less, eat better food and walk daily. Walk for 30 mins. a day and walk fast enough to just start sweating.
Indulge...occasionally. Then work it off.
Situps with weights will work faster than anything else, but it's harder. Start with 2 sets of 10, or 8 or whatever, just as long as you continue to do them.
I do them when the ABC news is on tv.Juanita takes the pain away...:)

Matt Middleton
01-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Between Concordia and Chisler you have your answer. To lose weight, you have to spend more calories than you take in. But the better way to accomplish this is by adding exercise and making good food choices. And it must be a lifestyle change, not just something temporary or you'll go right back.

I started drinking water and made some relaitively minor changes to what I ate, and started taking a brisk hour walk in the evenings. It doesn't sound very exciting or glamorous, but it made a difference for me.

Bes of luck!
Matt

PeterSibley
01-16-2009, 05:34 AM
Half the problem is slack abdominal muscles.Situps and crunches will take care of that. It doesn't matter how many you do to start, just keep gradually increasing the number. If you want to speed things up a little, do the crunches and situps with weights. You'll have a flatter abdomen in 2 weeks,just by doing this every day, although a rest day is advisable.
The other half of the problem is diet and excercise. Eat less, eat better food and walk daily. Walk for 30 mins. a day and walk fast enough to just start sweating.
Indulge...occasionally. Then work it off.
Situps with weights will work faster than anything else, but it's harder. Start with 2 sets of 10, or 8 or whatever, just as long as you continue to do them.
I do them when the ABC news is on tv.Juanita takes the pain away...:)

Pretty good advice except for the pain :D .The last 8 years have seen me doing some minor mods to my diet .I dropped butter and margarine on bread and I just don't eat as much as I did then ....maybe 20% less ? Hard to tell .
It seemed to me to be the easiest way of very gradually reducing my intake of tucker without much pain .I know from other people's experiences that major changes and diets just don't work .Oh yeah ,no sugar drinks , Coke etc .The body has a cunning way of wrapping easily available calories around our waists .

Beer , if you drink a talley don't have dinner ....your body will have taken all the calories it needs from the brown stuff and will wrap dinner around your waist .A bugger but ......I don't work as hard as I did when I was 30 .

In my case it has worked ,I'm 59 but my weight is 2 kg more than when I was 30 .It would be good to tighten up my stomach muscles though ,they're starting to sag .:o 5'7" and 70 kg .

PeterSibley
01-16-2009, 05:50 AM
OK, Peter, I hate you...;)

Strangely enough I always imagine you as a lean hard Englishman ! :D....you're not going to shatter my image are you ?

huisjen
01-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Quit focusing on Adonis. You have the body of a god. Maybe Bacchus. Maybe Ganesh.

Dan

TomF
01-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah, exercise ... and expend more than you take in ...

... but where those remaining calories come from is also surprisingly important. If you're interested in weight loss, then bear in mind that a strong insulin response will trigger your metabolism to store and retain fat. Cutting down (or cutting out) simple sugars, and the quick-digesting varieties of carbohydrates will go a long ways towards reducing insulin spikes, and encouraging your body to use fat as a fuel instead.

That's the Zone diet's contention - calories from 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% good fats ... with the carbs primarily coming from slow digesting veggies and legumes, rather than quicker digesting grains.

Figment
01-16-2009, 08:43 AM
The only way to do it is to DO it, but this is something that helped me understand it.

http://www.amazon.com/Abs-Diet-Six-Week-Flatten-Stomach/dp/1594862168/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232113315&sr=8-1

Canoez
01-16-2009, 09:15 AM
The fewer calories thing is key - the other thing is to get more exercise - and it starts with little things - take the stairs, not the elevator, etc. Walk and bike on those errands you can.

I'm mostly a desk jockey and don't get much opportunity for excercise, but riding a bike this summer got me into great shape after only about 2 week's time. The trick is you just have to keep at it.

John of Phoenix
01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Here's an interesting concept... eat more.

Check out my Biggest Loser Diet for today. SIX meals!
The idea is to crank up the metabolism with good food. Note the lack of simple carbs like Tom said. Add some exercise, I do an hour walking every other day though they have a far more intense workout if you want, and off go the pounds. Three pounds in six days so far.

Friday, January 16, 2009

BREAKFAST: Shredded wheat with raspberries and milk
Milk, nonfat, 1 cup
Raspberries, 3/4 cup
Shredded Wheat Spoon Size Cereal, 1/2 cup

SNACK: Half a grapefruit; and almonds
Almonds, 15 almond
Grapefruit, 1/2 fuit

LUNCH: Icy Gazpacho with Lime; cheese crackers; and yogurt w/raisins
Cheese Crackers, 1/2 oz
Icy Gazpacho with Fresh Lime, 1/2 serving
Raisins, 1 miniature box (.5 oz)
Yogurt, fruit, 1/2 cup

SNACK: Celery with cream cheese
Celery, raw, 4 stalk, large (11"-12" long)
Cream Cheese, 1 tbsp

DINNER: Sweet and Spicy Pork Tenderloin, oven-roasted sweet potatoes, Bobby's Broccoli, and applesauce
Applesauce, unsweetened, 1/2 cup
Bobby’s Broccoli with Cheese Sauce, 1 serving
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes , 1 serving
Sweet and Spicy Pork Tenderloin, 1 serving

SNACK: Grilled Pineapple with cottage cheese
Cottage Cheese, Nonfat, 3/4 cup
Grilled Pineapple, 1 serving

ProaRotorhead
01-16-2009, 12:50 PM
1. ABH or "always be hungry". Never eat until you are "full"; stop eating at the first sign of filling up. Ideally your meals should leave you hungry. I cut my meal sizes at least in half.
2. Light, high-fiber breakfast. Lunch is for protein and carbs (fish, turkey, chicken, whole grains, pasta). Dinner should be mostly lean protein, and small. Go vegetarian at least one day a week.
3. NO food after 6 pm.
4. EXERCISE 6 days a week. At least take a brisk 30-minute walk.
5. STRETCH frequently. Stretch prior to getting out of bed (you'll be stiff the first few weeks).
6. Drink water. Lots of water. At least 6 liters a day. No alcohol, no soda. Water and fruit juice, green tea, a little coffee.
7. Break the rules once in a while, enjoy life - but get back on the horse immediately following.

That's it. The key is eating less and exercising more (what a shocker!) - and will power.
(taken from my blog: http://rotorheadsblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/diet-and-exercise-part-one.html )

Aloha,
RH

doorstop
01-17-2009, 01:44 AM
My 24 year old son just left after a fishing, kite flying, fun day with Dad. Just before he left we both hopped on the scales.... now the little buggar is near enough the sam height as me but he weighed in at a neat 70kgs. Me? a not so neat 105.5 kgs! urk!
Now while I don't particularly want to weigh 70kg I would kinda like to get down to around the 90kg area...
The thoughts and suggestions you have all been giving are great! Very encouraging. Good strategies and good information. Please keep it coming as I suspect that I might not be the only one in need. There could be some tubby lurkers out there too. ;)

PeterSibley
01-17-2009, 02:53 AM
So what's wrong with 70 kg ? :D

rufustr
01-17-2009, 03:02 AM
We might be twins Doorstop.

What I'm doing is trying to walk at least an hour a day. To aid that I recently acquired Boris from the pound and he insists on a walk every day.

Cut my serving size considerably, and cut down on Carbs.

Cut the grog back, the hardest bit.

I have friends who eat more than I do and don't exercise, but are thin.

I think my body is miserly and hoards every calorie it can get.

The Bigfella
01-17-2009, 03:38 AM
Come to the next EBS and do anchor duty

Tealsmith
01-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Limit:
potatoes
White flour
white sugar
soft drinks

doorstop
01-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Me again!
I would just like to say that I have considered all advice offered and have lost 2kgs. since the 16th of January. Pleased? I am delighted! Many thanks and I shall keep on....

pila
01-31-2009, 08:41 PM
You could always increase your smoking from 1 pack a day to 3 or 4.

PeterSibley
01-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Me again!
I would just like to say that I have considered all advice offered and have lost 2kgs. since the 16th of January. Pleased? I am delighted! Many thanks and I shall keep on....

Goodonya Mate ! That's just 2 weeks ..........at that rate you're going to disappear :D !

doorstop
01-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Goodonya Mate ! That's just 2 weeks ..........at that rate you're going to disappear :D !

That's what I'm afraid of Pete..... at this rate there will be nothing left but a pot belly and toenails by Christmas!

Matt Middleton
01-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Congrats! Nice to see progress, isn't it?

PeterSibley
01-31-2009, 10:16 PM
Maybe just toenails and hobnails .I reckon the pot belly will be long gone .:D

epoxyboy
01-31-2009, 11:05 PM
Sounds silly, but something as simple as getting smaller dinner plates can help. When you pile you usual amount of food onto a smaller plate it just looks overloaded so you naturally put less on - one of the little "tricks" my other half used when she was losing weight.
Cycling is good low impact exercise if you're not into running.

Pete
Pete

doorstop
02-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Hmmm..... the bike is a bit old and decrepit..... but I did walk about 5kms today.

rufustr
02-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Don't over do it in the heat, what was the temp today?

Kaa
02-01-2009, 01:41 AM
I've got a super-duper way to lose weight. Guaranteed to work, all-natural, traditional, simple.

Eat less.

Kaa

Captain Blight
02-01-2009, 01:43 AM
I've got a super-duper way to lose weight. Guaranteed to work, all-natural, traditional, simple.

Eat less.

Kaa
You get even better results if you couple that with "do more."

Start commuting by bicycle.

doorstop
02-01-2009, 01:44 AM
The heat?
Adelaide..... 40 odd.
20kms inland.... 36.
Beachport......... mid 20s' thank goodness!!!
There is something to be said for blustery southerlies and the coast.
AND not a single callout for the fire truck (touch wood!)

Kaa
02-01-2009, 01:46 AM
You get even better results if you couple that with "do more."

Start commuting by bicycle.

Nah, no need to complicate things. If you want to lose weight, just lose weight (and not, say, get fit which is a different thing altogether), my way works perfectly well.

Simplicity is underrated.

Kaa

doorstop
02-25-2009, 03:25 AM
OK, just another wee "gloat".
Today, after following much of the advice offered by the slim sages of the WBF I hit 99.9kgs. Thats 51/2 kgs in about 2 months. Basically I have stopped eating bead, I have been eating more fruit when needing a nibble and I am playing "Hit and Giggle" tennis with friends most mornings. I still eat till I feel satisfied but I really feel that giving up bread had been the biggy. No bread also means no butter, no jam, honey, vegemite etc etc. so I guess it cuts out other "nasties" too.
Anyway, I am pretty happy!

Nanoose
02-25-2009, 04:34 AM
Well done, doorstop.
Careful, or you'll have to change your moniker soon!
;)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-25-2009, 05:14 AM
... chaps know of ways that a chap with a sticky out tum could reduce it without .... or utterly ridiculous forms of physical exercise .......

Ice skating - regular ice time - hockey or dance both are good there's no call for the ridiculous looking 3,000m stuff and skin tight dayglo lycra.

oh - and NO BEER.

Popeye
02-25-2009, 07:42 AM
If you want to lose weight, just lose weight (and not, say, get fit which is a different thing altogether), my way works perfectly well.not really , simply eating less can trigger your body to store fat , like tomf points outs

you need to find ways to boost your metabolism , simply eating less ain't it

and trimming fat from the middle is another exercise onto itself

situps and crunches can actually work to increase your midsection