View Full Version : The Rebuilding Blues...
11-14-2003, 11:16 AM
I'm starting to think building from scratch has got to be more fun... :rolleyes:
I'm sure some you have run into this sort of thing before...
Last night after dinner I head out to the shop to remove my starboard toe/rub rail, port side came off just fine a couple of nights before.
So I go after it, have the screw removal technique greatly improved over the start of the project and get out the first 10-15 fasteners, only lossing one head after a couple of turns and having to resort to the vise-grip technique. Life is good...
THEN, I run into a bunch of screw puddy over screws not on the widest point of the toe rail but on the champher. So I get the awl out and start scraping/prying the puddy out and find a very interesting repair had been done at some time.
Whoever did this should be shot, but, it appears that the rail took a good hit, so it looks like they sorta screwed it back to shape. In the process of finishing the repair someone actually sanded the heads down after they were installed, so now there is nothing to get a driver into.... ARRGGHHHH :mad:
After I finish the learner/rebuild, next project will be of my own creation I'm thinkin... smile.gif
That way I at least know who to blame... LOL
11-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Oh, Capt'n - I sympathise and know it well. Got most of mine out now, or sealed the heck out of the ones that broke off deep in the frame, and am keeping my spirits up by doing a LARGE piece of real CARPENTRY...
My screws are through 1.25 larch into ancient oak, and were formerly galvanised - but are now chemically mechanically legally maritally whatever you like a part of the oak!
I come home and read some Larry Pardey in the evenings and know exactly what you mean about building a new one instead!
We WILL win out in the end!
If you're trying to save the toe rail, have two drill motors handy, cordless or other wise, chuck one up with a drill roughly the size of the shank of the screw, or slightly smaller, drilling down through the head and stopping. Have another drill motor with a bit a couple sizes bigger than your first. Drilling down through that pilot hole this slightly bigger bit will pop that head right off. Your toe rail will simply lift up off of these screws.
11-14-2003, 05:41 PM
I have felt your pain. My first rehab project started with a simple 16 ft power Garvey. I ended up burning 800+ hours on a complete rebuild of the boat. After it was over, I had a friend who wanted one just like it. We took the lines off mine and built another for him in about 160 hours.
First, I spent about 100 hours working some new rub rails and decking into her and used her for a season. Then, I desided to fix some tenderness in the keel batten which begot more and more repairs. Because I never intended to rebuild the entire boat,I would fix up jigs and patterns to replace what I thought was all the problem areas, only to find a little tenderness in an adjacent piece of wood, or poor materials, or some piece of joinery that was of poor craftsmanship.
I gave two winters and most of a boating season to this scow. As I figure it, this boat owes me quite a few years of good service before we are even!! Having had everything off and renewed, I think that, borrowing a disaster, she is up for it. Now I just need the crabs and a few oysters to return to the Virginia side of the Cheaspeake to make the deal work.
11-15-2003, 01:31 PM
I'm in the middle (I hope) of restoring/rebuilding a 1956 18ft outboard cabin cruiser. I know how you feel. It's best not to keep track of the hours! That 800 hour/160 hour thing suggests a scary 5:1 restore:build ratio I'd rather not think about.
11-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Good to see I'm not alone... and this boat is teaching me a ton of techniques...
The decision is in on what to do about this one...
Since it was allready damaged pretty well, and it is a rub rail, replace the thing.
These leave the door open to a WIDE varity of removal techniques...
Busy weekend, kept me out of the shop... tonight it shall be gone... :D
11-18-2003, 02:44 AM
I know that feeling!! I needed to remove the rub rails and toe boards from my Folkboat to allow repairs to the deck. The toe board was fastned down with bronze screws put in about 40 years ago and when I tried to remove them half of the head broke off. I next tried drilling down to remove the head but found that the drill would wander off due I think to the poor state of the screw head. I eventually took a jig saw to cut along at deck level till I reached a screw then used a pad saw to cut through the screw. This was a bit of a pain as there was a screw every 5 inches and the boat is 25 feet long. I then had to make up a hollow cutter to allow me to remove the end of the fastner still lodged in the deck . The resulting hole was plugged with a piece of dowel epoxyed in. The toe boards came up well after all the marks were planed and sanded off.
Now what is next.......
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.