PDA

View Full Version : Weapon safety and security

Ed Harrow
01-14-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm in a bit of a quandary - I have a small collection of 'modern' (in ' ' because many of them are antique) derivatives of Thor's weapon of choice. None of them have any sort of safety, of course. The older, and more valuable, are locked up, but I don't think the cabinet is sufficiently stout if some determined party wanted them. The newer ones, in a variety of calibers, I have just sitting on a shelf.

What do you think I should do to properly secure them?

John of Phoenix
01-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Bury them. ;)

Get it? "Bury the hatchet."

Uncle Duke
01-14-2009, 08:32 PM
You might remove the heads from the shafts and lock them up separately. I don't think that licensing is required (yet), but metal cabinets, of course, with separate locks would be a pre-emptive strike against regulations...:D

Phillip Allen
01-14-2009, 08:34 PM
is this about boats?...no?...check with Joe and Milo (I'll send ya a cake with a file in it)

Phillip Allen
01-14-2009, 08:35 PM
You might remove the heads from the shafts and lock them up separately. I don't think that licensing is required (yet), but metal cabinets, of course, with separate locks would be a pre-emptive strike against regulations...:D

no one relly NEEDS a cross peen ...

switters
01-14-2009, 08:39 PM
I heard a rumor on the interweb that the next administration is going to take them anyway, so why lock them up?;)

ishmael
01-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi, Ed.

As I've said on another thread, if they are within the confines of your home they are secured, by law, IMHO. That's how it is in Maine, yet I remember Massachusetts foibles. I don't know about MA legislators. A bunch of busy bodies the last time I lived there.

Two issues. You've got some potentially valuable short arms? Up the size of your safe deposit box and put them in it if you are worried about robbery. Second, keep what seems reasonable to defend your life, your loves, your property. I seem to remember shotguns weren't heavily regulated in Massachusetts.

Phillip Allen
01-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Jack just missed it is all...back to the fun please

skuthorp
01-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Ladders too, big cause of injury and death especially amongst older men. They're next.
http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/pubs/reports/2007/injcat105.pdf

ishmael
01-14-2009, 09:07 PM
"Jack just missed it is all...back to the fun please"

Wud I miss? I miss things all the time, but wud I miss?

Phillip Allen
01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
weapon of Thor is a hammer...not gun...

Uncle Duke
01-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Hammers, I think, Jack - you missed:

derivatives of Thor's weapon of choice.
Personally, I go for the big items, what we call "The Monsters of Percussive Maintanence" - a nice 4 pound solid head is nice, but I have a 1 pounder with sliding lead shot in the head which can cause lots of damage.
Not that I would, of course...:D:D:D

paladin
01-14-2009, 09:19 PM
That's called a war hammer....strictly for killing people....it must be secured.

Ed Harrow
01-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Hammers, I think, Jack - you missed:

Personally, I go for the big items, what we call "The Monsters of Percussive Maintanence" - a nice 4 pound solid head is nice, but I have a 1 pounder with sliding lead shot in the head which can cause lots of damage.
Not that I would, of course...:D:D:D

OMG! I completely forgot! And they are all double-action, semi-auto as well. Geezus, I bet they all need to be registered. And some, at least, can't be taken apart, as good an idea as that might be. Oh woe, oh woe. :(

Uncle Duke
01-14-2009, 10:22 PM
And they are all double-action, semi-auto as well. Geezus, I bet they all need to be registered. And some, at least, can't be taken apart, as good an idea as that might be. Oh woe, oh woe
Yeah - semi-auto, repeating. That's "old school", baby!
You can have it when you pry it out of my cold, dead tool-box!!!
:D

ishmael
01-14-2009, 11:10 PM
OK, don't explain.

You want enigmatic. I found a 22 oz. hammer too heavy, and a 16 oz. too light.

Ed Harrow
01-14-2009, 11:25 PM
They're nothing but a pip! Ya can do real damage with one of those long four pounders.

Ross M
01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
OK, don't explain.

That ain't enigmatic - that's discerning :D

L.W. Baxter
01-15-2009, 12:48 AM
I was working next door to a fellow who was having marital troubles. I heard him scream a profanity and looked over to see him throw his cell phone down on the deck. Then he put his left hand against a post and BASHED it (his hand) with his framing hammer with his full strength.

Ever since, I've been careful to screen my calls when carrying a hammer.

Captain Blight
01-15-2009, 01:20 AM
Jesus

P.L.Lenihan
01-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Jesus

Don't tell me He is here too! We're done for it now! :)

Peter

Larks
01-15-2009, 02:50 AM
Dare I bring nail guns into this discussion? I think I've got an arsenal......

Joe Dupere
01-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Are you aware a hammer doesn't know the difference between a 16 penny nail and a fingernail? DAMHIKT. :D:D

Joe, FPoP

paladin
01-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Have you been into the pink mushrooms again, Milo?.....

TomF
01-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Are you aware a hammer doesn't know the difference between a 16 penny nail and a fingernail? DAMHIKT. :D:D

Joe, FPoPUnlike pit bulls, the hammer can't start to get that discernment with any amount of training. Dumb as a sack of ...

Phillip Allen
01-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Ha! Try full auto!

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/5/Porter-Cable-PN650-rw-77030-21221.jpg

FINALLY! a gronicle safe! (but what's it doing on this thread?)

Mrleft8
01-15-2009, 10:05 AM
I prefer an acoustic hammer for most jobs.....

SMARTINSEN
01-15-2009, 10:10 AM
striking out lightning bolts in all directions.

That is Zeus. Please pay attention, this a technical discussion. sigh........Some people do not appreciate the nuances of hammer ownership.

TomF
01-15-2009, 10:30 AM
I've got a constitutional right to saunter around casually with the thing riding on my hip in an unsecured holster. Ain't nobody telling me any different. I've got 4 or 5 that I put into a rotation, depending.

Got my kid one too when he was no more than 8 ... kind of a rite of passage for boys in my family. A real one, mind - though the right heft for his strength at the time. None of this lock-it-away stuff for him - the belt and holster hangs on a peg in his room, close at hand if there's any need.

That's as it should be. These days, you see guys keep them inside these locking boxes ... but back when I was in high school? Hell, pretty much everyone had one under the seat of their pickup truck, and nobody said a thing about it.

We've become a nation of pussies.

switters
01-15-2009, 10:37 AM
hammers dont turn fingernails black,
left hands turn fingernails black.

TomF
01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
The level of craftsmanship in the older pieces can be astonishing. I picked up a vintage Warrington pattern Stanley, 12 oz, and the balance was just perfect. While you can pay top dollar and get better with modern steel, with some TLC and some smarts, you can get really good deals.

A friend collects the old bellnose ones with sharply curved claws, but some of the prices he's paid for collector pieces! I mean, I've always looked at them more as a tool than a wallhanger.

Uncle Duke
01-15-2009, 11:03 AM
That's called a war hammer....strictly for killing people....
Now, Chuck, let's not go overboard - there certainly are legitimate uses for those hammers. Body work, for example (cars, not knee caps), and as long as legitimate uses exist, then private ownership should be secured...
Even these fully automatic ones have legitimate uses:
http://www.daviddarling.info/images/air_hammer.jpg

TomF
01-15-2009, 11:04 AM
bet that one fires a really close group, Duke.

Paul Pless
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
hammers???

Are there no real hatchet men left on this forum?:(

Paul Pless
01-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Just where have Mr. Wilson and Mr. Bertenshaw gone off to anyway?

Uncle Duke
01-15-2009, 11:39 AM
bet that one fires a really close group, Duke.Very short range, but over a thousand bangs a minute - grouping is the responsibility of the operator:D

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Google "Wayne La Pierre". He is the "Big Kahuna" of weapons and aggression.

botebum
01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Ed, back to the subject at hand- You'd better secure those hammers away so that even you cannot get at them readily. Imagine, if you will, that you come home one day and find some man doing the nasty with your wife. You wouldn't want to have that hammer on the dresser within your reach. You would undoubtedly turn a simple nasty divorce into a homicide/suicide.:rolleyes:

Doug

Uncle Duke
01-15-2009, 01:26 PM
some man doing the nasty with your wife
Nailing her?

ishmael
01-15-2009, 01:36 PM
"He is the "Big Kahuna" of weapons and aggression."

Bull. The NRA isn't pro aggression, not in any way. I'm not a member, but the posts on this forum make me think it might be forty bucks well spent.

Phillip Allen
01-15-2009, 02:44 PM
hammers???

Are there no real hatchet men left on this forum?:(

the doc says only two more treatments and I can have mine back...want me to come over and show it to you? :)

paladin
01-15-2009, 07:01 PM
dunno about hammers....but I have my great great grandfathers war ax.

Phillip Allen
01-15-2009, 07:04 PM
dunno about hammers....but I have my great great grandfathers war ax.

don't count if it's a rock :)

(sorry Chuck...I couldn't stop myself)

Nicholas Carey
01-16-2009, 01:04 AM
Wait a minute... aren't we talking about hatchets/axes? 'Thor's favorite weapon'? I was presuming that the remark about 'caliber' something of a whimsical joke, referring to the size.....

Did my wheels go off the rails?Thor's tool o'choice was the war hammer Mjöllnir. Might have been a battle axe, though.

Peerie Maa
01-16-2009, 10:46 AM
OK, don't explain.

It depends what you are aiming at. I have a four pounder that can be most telling.

Ed Harrow
01-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Depends on the tip, too. I've got waffle ones, round-heads, and wad cutter style. The waffle ones do a real job for one small enough to hang on your belt. Of course they don't have the range of a long one.

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060421/countdown_nailhead1_060421.hmedium.jpg

Ya can do a whole lot of damage with those semi-auto guys.

Houndog
01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
I heard a rumor on the interweb that the next administration is going to take them anyway, so why lock them up?;)

If they decide to take them away will they come to my house to collect them?

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
01-22-2009, 03:14 AM
Have you been into the pink mushrooms again, Milo?.....

Don't stop him, he's on a roll. I quote Animal House:

Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.