Basil
    • Feb 2005

These places are cold !!!!

basil
  • Captain Blight
    Banned
    • May 2008

Re: These places are cold !!!!

Looking for a high of -6 today, that's nowhere near as cold as any of those places but cold enough I'll fire up the truck instead of taking my bicycle to the grocery store.

Comment

• Uncle Duke
      Just this guy...
      • Jun 2005

On a related note: Montana holds 2 interesting records:

Great Falls, MT on 1/11/1980 went from -32F to +15F in 7 hours - thats 47 degrees in 7 hours.

Up the road in Loma, MT, on 1/15/1972, the set the record for greatest one day temperature change - from -54F to +49F in 24 hours - thats a 103 degree swing in a single day.
      Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
      ... Roy Blount, Jr.

Comment

• goodbasil
        Basil
        • Feb 2005

Worst I've ever experienced is -59, -60 F. No windchill. Just -60.
        Have to run backwards when you take a pee.
        basil

Comment

• TimH
          Be as you wish to seem.
          • Nov 2002

The winter before I left Chicago it was -28 with -70 wind chill one day. And now I complain when it hits 30
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Comment

• J P
            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Uncle Duke
            On a related note: Montana holds 2 interesting records:

Great Falls, MT on 1/11/1980 went from -32F to +15F in 7 hours - thats 47 degrees in 7 hours.

Up the road in Loma, MT, on 1/15/1972, the set the record for greatest one day temperature change - from -54F to +49F in 24 hours - thats a 103 degree swing in a single day.

It's a toasty +50F today here in western Montana.
            I need to get out there and soak up some sunshine.

I think Rogers Pass near Helena has the record, -70F, for the coldest in the US 48.

Comment

• htom
              Member #919
              • Dec 1999

They're predicting -20°F to -25°F for tonight and tomorrow night here in the Twin Cities, with -40°F wind chill. At least my frost bite isn't blistering (yet).
              Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

Comment

• George Roberts
                Banned
                • Nov 1999

Years ago I spent a couple nights and the nearby days with little protection. -11F is not too bad when the sun is out, the wind is down, and you are walking, but trying to sleep in -30 with 20mph winds is uncomfortable.

Enjoy the cold while you can, I am told that global warming will put an end to stories of the cold.

Comment

Working...