X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cathouse willy
    Not that sensitive guy
    • Jan 2008

Pills and Beagles

OK I got this here Beagle and these three large,expensive pills from the vet.So... the mission is to get these pills into the Beagle . Lots of tips on the net, ranging from stuff it down to bribe them. I opened the bottle to check the size and the dog headed for the far side of the house. I may be in for a challange. I think I'll try bribery first. Got any good tricks to get the job done?

• botebum
    Banned
    • Sep 2002

Re: Pills and Beagles

Coat the pill in peanut butter. Always worked great for me. Watch your fingers, some dogs REALLY like peanut butter.

Doug

Comment

• ChrisBen
      • Dec 2007

Use thumb and forefinger to open mouth at the back of the jaws then slide pill all the way back with the other hand. Push the lower jaw up and rub under the chin. If you can't do that, wrap the pill in a slice of cheese.
      "Bundinn er bátlaus maður" Bound is boatless man.

Comment

• SMARTINSEN
        Transplanted Yankee
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by cathouse willy
        I opened the bottle to check the size and the dog headed for the far side of the house.

Maybe the experts will chime in, but there are several methods.

1. Embed the pill into a lump of cheese, and the dog will glomp it right down. You may have to break the pill into little bits to make it small enough to disguise it. SWMBO favors this method, but I have found it not 100% reliable. The dog just might go PTUI.

2. Just put the pill as far back into the dog's mouth as you can, then clamp down on his snout with one hand, and smooth his throat in a downward motion with the other to force him to swallow. This is how I usually do it.

3. You can also crush the pill into powder, and mix it in completely with some particularly savory treat, like some left over beef stew, the dog being grateful, and none the wiser.
        Steve Martinsen

Comment

• JimM
          • Dec 2000

peanut butter has always done the trick for me.
          Jim McGee

Comment

• botebum
            Banned
            • Sep 2002

If you do go with one of the methods that include breaking or crushing the pill, be sure that it's not a time release medication. You could overdose your dog if it is.

Doug

Comment

• SMARTINSEN
              Transplanted Yankee
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by botebum
              If you do go with one of the methods that include breaking or crushing the pill, be sure that it's not a time release medication. You could overdose your dog if it is.

Doug
              Good thought, Doug
              Steve Martinsen

Comment

• paladin
                Senior Senior Member
                • Dec 2000

Corral the critter and put it all the way on the back of the tongue and close their mouth and rub their throat as has been instructed, have a treat handy. That's the only way that you will know where the meds went.
                Wakan Tanka Kici Un
                ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
                Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
                Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
                "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Comment

• Canoeyawl
                  • Jun 2003

Assuming you hand feed snacks to your dog, put the pill in a bit of cheese and feed it to him while holding another bit close in his sights. Make sure he sees the second piece before you feed the first. Dogs will swallow immediately just about anything if they think that is the hold-up for the next snack in their sight.
                  Blue cheese is an especially delicious treat …

Comment

• elf
                    opinionated crone
                    • Sep 2006

Grinding the pill up and mixing it with their morning meal usually makes it very easy as long as they are in the habit of cleaning their plate. I use a rolling pin on the cutting board to reduce the pill to nearly a powder.

If it's an oil, then you'll have to try one of the other's suggestions.
                    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
                    And other things, too.

http://www.landsedgephoto.photodeck.com

Comment

• SMARTINSEN
                      Transplanted Yankee
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Canoeyawl
                      Assuming you hand feed snacks to your dog, put the pill in a bit of cheese and feed it to him while holding another bit close in his sights. Make sure he sees the second piece before you feed the first. Dogs will swallow immediately just about anything if they think that is the hold-up for the next snack in their sight.
                      Blue cheese is an especially delicious treat …
                      Pretty good dog psychology there.
                      Steve Martinsen

Comment

• Mrleft8
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2000

I used to do it this way... Get the critter to sit. toss a treat (I find ham to be excellent for this) so they need to move just a little bit. Get them to sit again. repeat. This makes it a game.... on the third or fourth try, wrap the pill in the treat (ham), make sure they know there's at least one more.... This even worked for Webster, who was very suspiscious, and generally nibbled his food.

Comment

• cathouse willy
                          Not that sensitive guy
                          • Jan 2008

Bribery and tricks won the day. I found some sliced ham in the fridge that had been there a bit too long for me,made a show of putting it out on the counter and letting her have a couple of tiny bits. After 30 mins or so I made up little parcels of ham, cheese and crushed pill. They disappeared in a flash. The vet suggested that because she hadn't been wormed in almost 2 years it would be a wise thing to do.$30 for three pills!! I remember being able to buy worm pills from any old pet store.Now you have to get them from the vet.Progress I guess.

Comment

• Captain Blight
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

Um. Did you look at the pet store, first?

Also, about half a can of Skoal will do a fine job of de-worming, though the dog might resent you for a day or two.

Comment

• bamamick
                              • Nov 2003

Cheese. I am not putting my fingers anywhere near these monsters if they are eating something. If I did I can assure you that you wouldn't be here for awhile.

I say that, but they can always figure it out if I am the one doing it. My wife can get them to take it every time.

ml
                              'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Comment

Working...