Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeeG
    • May 2002

Cheney confesses "I don't have any idea"

blatant Cheney bashing troll,,the comments are fun to read.

How do you explain your low approval rating?

"I don't have any idea. I don't follow the polls.

"My experience has been over the years that if you govern based upon poll numbers, upon trying to improve your overall poll ratings, people I've encountered who do that are people who won't make tough decisions. And the job the president has and those who advise him is to make those basic fundamental decisions for the nation that nobody else is authorized or able to make.

"First and foremost among those is to defend the nation. If you're going to follow the polls, you are going to change your policy every week when the poll comes out. Secondly, I think you're adversely affected by the fact that you can get just about any result you want out of a poll.

"My own experience has been, in the administrations I've served in, for example Gerald Ford, a man who made a very, very tough decision when he decided to pardon Nixon, something that was extremely unpopular, universally condemned, but 30 years later he was praised as having done the right thing. So I think you need to have that kind of approach to it rather than watch the polls on any given day."
  • ljb5
    • Jan 2004

Re: Cheney confesses "I don't have any idea"

Originally posted by LeeG
    "My experience has been over the years that if you govern based upon poll numbers, upon trying to improve your overall poll ratings, people I've encountered who do that are people who won't make tough decisions. And the job the president has and those who advise him is to make those basic fundamental decisions for the nation that nobody else is authorized or able to make.
    The one thing that has always escaped Bush/Cheney is that the job of the president is not "to make tough choices," but rather "to make tough choices in a manner in which people approve of."

It's not enough to simple "make a choice." It's gotta be the right choice.

...you can get just about any result you want out of a poll.
    If that were true, it would be possible to get a poll showing Cheney had a positive approval rating.

Speaking of making tough choices.... what's up with Bush pardoning that guy and then immediately taking it back??

What a pathetic flip-flopper.
    ”If you look at it from a contextual standpoint, I think it's accurate. If you contextualize in concrete numbers fashion, it's not accurate."

Comment

• Nicholas Scheuer
      • Aug 2006

Cheney's big mistake was going in with the intention of amassing as much power fro the Executive Brance as he and his bushy little puppet could somehow manage.

It was such a baltant power play that he earned every thinking American's eternal enmity.

F--- him! Go back to Wyoming and die in ignominy.

Moby Nick

Comment

• LeeG
        • May 2002

Originally posted by ljb5

It's not enough to simple "make a choice." It's gotta be the right choice.
        :

When the president makes a choice, it's the right choice.

Comment

• Shang
          • Sep 2000

When the president makes a choice, it's the right choice.
          You are joking...right...?

Comment

• LeeG
            • May 2002

I was trying to channel Nixons response to David Frost,,"when the president does it it's not illegal"

Comment

• ljb5
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Shang
              You are joking...right...?
              Yes, he is.

It's a play on the famous quote from Nixon:

"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal." - Richard Nixon.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              ”If you look at it from a contextual standpoint, I think it's accurate. If you contextualize in concrete numbers fashion, it's not accurate."

Comment

• Osborne Russell
                • Mar 2006

How do you explain your low approval rating?

"I don't have any idea. I don't follow the polls.

"My experience has been over the years that if you govern based upon poll numbers, upon trying to improve your overall poll ratings . . . "
                A classic evasion, and don't think he doesn't know it. He is a champion liar.

He wasn't asked why he didn't govern based on poll numbers, he was asked why his poll numbers were low.

He was presented with evidence of the people's judgment of him and said, I don't care. Piss on the people.

That's Red Meat. Then he reaches to the middle by farting in their face. They say, smells like roses.
                Do not speak of "our institutions" unless you make them yours by acting on their behalf.

Timothy Snyder, On Tyranny (2017)​

Comment

• LeeG
                  • May 2002

and like Rumsfeld giving his perky prognostications one can imagine him saying
                  "look at this erection, I'm 72 and it's as hard as a rock!"

You should be honored to be in the presence of such conviction and certitude.

Comment

• JimD
                    Senior Mumbler
                    • Feb 2002

Cheney confesses "I don't have any idea"
                    He had plenty of ideas. Almost all of them bad.
                    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Comment

• Shang
                      • Sep 2000

Originally posted by ljb5
                      Yes, he is.

It's a play on the famous quote from Nixon:

"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal." - Richard Nixon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejvyDn1TPr8
                      Had me worried for just a minute there.

And I suppose that history will be able to exonerate Cheney along with Our Beloved Leader, George the Doubleyoo... as soon as the Ice Age comes and hell freezes over.

Comment

Working...