PDA

View Full Version : A beautiful day in the neighborhood...

Shang
12-27-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm in my studio on the second floor, the house is on a ridge overlooking the lake.
It was warm enough to cut and stack firewood yesterday--this morning we had rain and the temperature has gone down enough to create a flow of mist coming down the Little Niangua River into our arm of the lake. Here and there on the hills I can see columns of steam rising--I'm noting these locations since they may mark the entrances to caves we haven't yet explored. We found a new one last year about this time, it wasn't on the roster so we got to name it...called it "Gulliver Cave" after the name of the ridge nearby.

Eagles are territorial so the pair I've been watching this morning are probably the ones who raised a nestling last year--we see him too, although as a juvenile he doesn't yet have the white markings of the adults so it is easy to mistake him for a large hawk.
The Osprey who hunts this part of the lake is easy to identify, he is large and the white under his wings shows when he glides past my window at eye-level. Just now a flight of Canada Geese came over the roof. Canadas don't seem to be afraid of the raptors, probably they are too big to be attacked and they travel in skeins so the raptors leave them alone. The seagulls who winter on the sandbars also don't fear the raptors, but their bravery is misplaced...I find their feathers from time to time scattered on the shore.

It is time for me to get back to work, I have a painting exhibition scheduled in about six weeks, and there are two more paintings in the series to be completed. The theme is "The Legend of the Unicorn," and on days like this at the lake it would be easy to imagine that there are Unicorns lurking in the woods around us, if I see any coming down to the lake shore to drink I will tell you.

Spin_Drift
12-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Sounds like a wonderful place to work and create.

Please put a link to your web pages on your profile. I'd love to look at your paintings. The unicorn legend theme sounds lovely....magical...

Please send me a link to your art by PM or post one here...

Shang
12-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Previously I had a gallery web site in place, however the server crashed and I haven't had time to reconstruct the site yet.
Now I have a new host and presently I'll get it together again.

Later I'll post some of the Unicorn artwork.