PDA

View Full Version : Dory question for Dave Fleming

Cecil Nickerson
05-27-2003, 04:49 PM
HI Dave, I'm getting to the point where frames and planking are next (got the skillet done). I can't seem to find sided and moulded dimensions for the frames in Gardner's Dory Book nor can I convince myself one way or the other about scarfing the garboard planks. Can I use a scarf, or, should these planks be fashioned from one piece? If I scarf the stock, where should the scarf fall? I'm using Alaskan Yellow Cedar for the planking and tight, vertical grain Douglas Fir for everything else. I guess I should have mentioned that the boat is the 11-foot Bank Dory and will be copper fastened and finished with oil and tar.

Regards, Cecil

mmd
05-27-2003, 10:38 PM
If I may toss my two bits in, common practice in my neck of the woods is that the scarphs can fall wherever, but arrange that there are no two scarphs on adjacent planks within the same frame bay, and the scarph in the sheerplank or garboard plank should not be mirrored in the same frame bay on t'other side.

ishmael
05-27-2003, 11:02 PM
If well made does it matter where the scarfs fall? Nice to stagger them a frame bay, but have we faith in the process? More faith than a generation ago, when THE DORY BOOK was written?

But to answer your question, by all means scarf the garboard on a dory. Unless you've got the stock to get it out of one plank, really wide stuff like from a century ago, it will have inherent weakness 'cause of grain run out

Cecil Nickerson
05-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Thanks all, that's just the ticket.

Regards, Cecil