PDA

View Full Version : Ice storms are one thing, but Black Ice....

Vince Brennan
12-24-2008, 07:51 AM
(0750)
My entire area is at a standstill due to black ice. I don't mind real ice-storms, at least they're an honest threat and you can see where the threat lies, but this black ice is a real bummer. I've got cars stacked up on the feeder street to me - all nut.... ahhh.... bumper to bumper, some resting on each other and it's a lousy 4% grade!

MANY accidents, all the newscasters are having conniptions and the "Official Bird Call of The City Of Philadelphia" (sirens) are to be heard throughout the land.

What REALLY frosts me is that in an hour or two, it'll all melt out, but right now it's a horrorshow. (There go the sirens again...now a ten-car pileup on a major mountainside* artery, too!)

(Hmmmm.... Florida, eh? Sounds better and better every year!)

(* OK, well it's a large hill, but it's a mountain to us!)

cs
12-24-2008, 07:59 AM
I thought we had changed the name from black ice to clear ice, you know pc and all that.

But yeah it can be a PIA.

Folks always talk about how quick we shut down schools here in Chattanooga when we get a bit of snow or ice. I always here about how they have to have a least 6 inches or more to shut school down where they come from. Thing that they seem to forget is that where they come from there is no such thing as Lookout Mountain, Signal Mountain or Missionary Ridge.

Chad

Tylerdurden
12-24-2008, 08:08 AM
My road has about 3/4 of a mile of straight down hill then into a nasty set of negative slanted S curve. We call it the idiot trap as most everyone bombs at high speed into it. Thing is its the first section to freeze always. We get an off roader most every day.:confused:

Last afternoon I was heading home and here comes a Hyundai tearing into the corner heading to become my hood ornament. He missed and took the snow bank for a two turn rotation.
I stopped put the flashers on and here is this guy my age piling out of the wreck. A college aged girl in a little sports Toyota stops behind him and gets out. Her words: "You think this would have happened if you didn't pass me you A-hole?"

I just had to laugh as it was role reversal at its finest.;)

elf
12-24-2008, 08:39 AM
The real problem is that we think where we "have" to go when it's like this is important.

Paul Pless
12-24-2008, 08:52 AM
this never happens in alabama (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CySmFGxU6Bk)

Vince Brennan
12-24-2008, 09:32 AM
The real problem is that we think where we "have" to go when it's like this is important.

Momma's a nurse, so we didn't have a lot of choice. I will say that the lack of traffic was both a blessing and a curse.... not too many AQ-holes to deal with, but not many cars to help with radiant heating and melting the coating.

It's now almost all gone except for a couple bridges and further north in the hillier sections.

Saw two REAL beauties though.... one Toyota mini-truck with his nose smashed all the way into the driver's compartment... he'd front ended a Ford F-250 which had a dented bumper.

The other was a T-bone.... small Echo (Toyota?) with the passenger side about in the middle of the car and a Mercedes with some real nice front end damages... Mercedes came down a steep driveway and caught the Echo as it was passing. HE shoulda knowed better!

LOTS of ambulances and firetrucks on the roads.

Alabama, eh? Hmmmmm....

Mrleft8
12-24-2008, 09:52 AM
You gots too many teefs to move to Galibama Vince!

JimD
12-24-2008, 10:11 AM
(0750)
.... Florida, eh? Sounds better and better every year!

If I were American and could afford to live where ever I wanted I would be on the next plane (or boat) to Hawaii.

elf
12-24-2008, 10:16 AM
The only problem with where I live is that we don't have enough real winter. But my spirit really has to live near salt water, so basically that means I have to travel to snow.

Wisconsin was great for the first 5 years. Then I realized the watery places just didn't smell right. Had to be salt water, with salt marshes. Fresh just didn't cut the mustard.

So back to New England for me.

Paul Pless
12-24-2008, 10:20 AM
If I were American and could afford to live where ever I wanted I would be on the next plane (or boat) to Hawaii.Yeah kinda shortsighted of you Canadians not to have a tropical paradise territory, eh?;)

Canoez
12-24-2008, 10:24 AM
The only problem with where I live is that we don't have enough real winter. But my spirit really has to live near salt water, so basically that means I have to travel to snow.

Wisconsin was great for the first 5 years. Then I realized the watery places just didn't smell right. Had to be salt water, with salt marshes. Fresh just didn't cut the mustard.

So back to New England for me.

Yeah, but you don't have to travel far.

JimD
12-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah kinda shortsighted of you Canadians not to have a tropical paradise territory, eh?;)

I blame it on the beaver trade.

Paul Pless
12-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Y'all trade beaver? Some guys have all the luck... how's that work practically??? is there like a great white north social networking site that facilitates beaver trading? is paypal accepted or is it more like freecycle?

George Roberts
12-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Around here most people stay at home when the roads are bad.

We had ice a few days ago. I went to buy milk and that is where the story begins ...

Lew Barrett
12-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Black ice! That's what I'm talking about. That, and a frozen ball of Hondas at the foot of the hill!

SMARTINSEN
12-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Roads will be slippery tomorrow morning in the Northeast, especially before the road crews get out. Everyone take care and drive safely on your way to grandmother's house.